Asus Z97-Pro (WiFi ac) bios update fail

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trodas, Dec 21, 2015.

1. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9100 250/200MHz
    My Asus Z97-Pro (WiFi ac) have bios v2303:

[​IMG]

So I load the new bios (all the more recent bioses anyway) on USA flash:

[​IMG]

I picked up the latest one (v2702) and tried...

[​IMG]

...to upload it, then I get "not a proper BIOS" message:

[​IMG]

NONE of the bioses I tested (v2401, v2501, v2601 and v2702) worked. All I download directly from Asus site:
    http://www.asus.com/cz/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/
    ...so could SOMEBODY tell me, what is going on?!

Next thing - let's try the mainboard function of USB BIOS Flashback - I put into the proper port (page 2-14 "bottom port supports USB BIOS Flashback") USB drive with file in the root directory, renamed by the BRenamerl.exe utility to "Z97P.CAP")

After power up, I hold the BIOS_FLBK button for 3+ seconds and I expected to see 3 blinks of the LED and beggining of the flash proces, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPEND.

The last attempt to flash bios update on Asus Z97-Pro (WiFi ac) was my attempt to boot from USB flash. Formated as DOS bootable device (or DrDOS) and in both attempts failed. Even afer disconnecting both SATA devices (HDD + DVD).

So the mainboard works, but it did not see the Samsung SM951 (MZ - HPV1280) M.2 128G SSD is not seen as device in bios or HDD prep programs like Mini Tool Partition Wizard Pro. Any help is need:

[​IMG]

...perhaps it is just me, doing something wrong?

2. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Oh hey Trodas, I have the same motherboard and had a hard time using bios flashback too. Board wouldn't work and gave me code 00 and CPU error until I did that.

If you don't see the USB BIOS flashback LED lighting up then you are definitely doing something wrong. I know exactly what it is too!

You ready?

You can only do it with the board powered off!! :eyes: Hahaha! Let me know if it works mate. It took me forever to figure that out! Asus is trolling us a bit by not putting that in the directions!

Unplug the power and let the capacitors drain too before trying again just in case, this takes a few minutes so go get a sandwich.

If you have any trouble, make sure you have the drive formatted in FAT32, although NTFS might work as well. Drive must be inserted the USB port labeled USB BIOS Flashback in green. Put one RAM stick in the wrong slot (A2?). CPU installed, no drives installed. Have NOTHING ELSE plugged in except the power supply connections!

Press and hold the on board bios flashback button for at least 3 seconds.
    That should make the green LED flash next to the button for a little bit, then you're all set.

If it still doesn't work I'd recommend using a different flash drive that is a very small, basic USB 2.0.

Once you successfully complete the BIOS update to 2702, you might have to change a setting under advanced for your M.2 drive to be properly detected. I'm not sure though because I've never used one. I did get the impression that one of the settings switches between SATA Express and M.2 as it could only use on at a time..?

If this fails then you should definately contact ASUS and ask them what's up. Also, let them know about the missing step in the directions! I almost RMA'd my board because of that! :bang: Wasted 2 hours of my time before figuring it out!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  3. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    LIGuitar77 -
    I cannot get into Windows, because I cannot install Windows, because the board did not see my M.2 SSD drive...!

cookieboyeli -
    Did that, no luck :)

Never tried go that far... and not need now. But it would be cool to know, how to make it work...

What is the state of the system at this point? Because when I power it up, then it just boot and ignore my hand, pressing the button :(

It would be fine with me, but no luck yet. I try disable the SATA Express, as I did not plan to use it... and maybe the M.2 SSD will "pop in"...

Already did about the M.2 SSD, because bios is updated! I completely forget, that my mainboard is not "Asus Z97-PRO (WiFi ac)", but a "Asus Z97-PRO (WiFi ac)/USB 3.1" and that means, that I tried different BIOSes. Witch end up with the "impossibility to update" the bios.

Now I running at bios v2702, yet the M.2 SSD (Samsung SM951) is still "not present" in bios, or for HDD prep program (Mini Tool Partition Wizard Professional) or visible for Windows 7 install:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404656

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    BIOS is updated, mate. M.2 SSD is not visible... that is the problem.

5. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Nice link, thanks!

I will try the solution Pizdek suggested and made nice video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

It make sense to first unplug everything except the M.2 SSD, then set CSM to Disable and set Secure boot to Other OS and also select the "Clear security keys" ... then boot the install from USB and then it should shown the M.2 SSD during the install.
    After restart, change the CSM to WindowsUEFI mode and then "Instal default security keys" and things should work (eg. continue with the install of Windows).
    After complete install, reattaching the HDD should be a good idea... :)

I will most definitively try it, now off to get a USB 3.0 stick :)