MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 Available for Download

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Have you tried changing the application level, stealth mode, custom D3D support?
    I found the best is low, off, on for most games. Very few don't work with custom D3D on.

2. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Please don't take this as an afterburner problem. I am not blaming afterburner. I am however having an issue.

I am running 3 cards in crossfire. Afterburner is only reporting fan speed/temperature correctly on at the most two cards when i am not in a game. When I fire up a game, the custom fan profile works great on all 3 cards, it sees temperatures rising and adjust the fans accordingly. However, when i come out of the game, one of the cards goes to 20% fan speed, and doesn't report temperature correctly it reads like 0.

I have reinstalled the crimson beta drivers 6 times (I used DDU in safe mode), and reinstalled afterburner 6 times, same thing every time.

With just hwinfo64 and RTSS installed, hwinfo 64 reports temperatures correctly in and out of game for all 3 gpu's.

With just Trixx installed, trixx reports temperatures and adjust fans speeds correctly in and out of game for all 3 gpu's.

Any idea what might be conflicting with afterburner reporting all my cards temps and speeds? I never have trixx, hwinfo64, and afterburner installed at the same time btw, so it is not a conflict between multiple programs trying to monitor.

I am a huge fan of afterburner, and I would love to figure out what I am doing wrong to get it working right on my pc, it used to work fine. I do not have AMD overdrive on btw, and I also am running with ULPS off.

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Tnx, Alexey =)

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

ULPS is not disabled properly on all cards. I have nothing to add to it.

5. Unwinder

Disable third party overlays.

6. Unwinder

Some black magic related to Fiji low-level GPU programming:

I’m receiving similar question from different power users, who previously programmed GPU voltages via direct access to voltage controller’s I2C registers using MSI Afterburner command line interface (CLI).
    The question is: can it be done with AMD Fiji and can we program voltage directly with similar I2C write (/wi) commands in CLI?
    Unfortunately no, with Fiji you cannot directly program voltage controller’s registers via I2C bus. Fiji’s dynamic power management is handled by GPU’s on-die SMC microcontroller, which “captures” bus with realtime telemetry and prevents you from safely accessing voltage controller directly. The only real option available for voltage control on Fiji is to “talk” to SMC controller and ask it to apply offset to dynamically adjusted voltage. So sadly you cannot just use voltage controller’s datasheet for direct voltage programming, you need to access proprietary and undocumented AMD SMC instead. Happily, AMD released Linux drivers with partial SMC DPM support some time ago, so you can extract most of info required for this task there:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...powerplay/inc/fiji_ppsmc.h?h=amdgpu-powerplay
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/.../drm/amd/amdgpu/fiji_smc.c?h=amdgpu-powerplay

Your targets in those documents are SMC messaging function body (fiji_send_msg_to_smc_with_parameter_without_waiting) and VID offset programming message code (PPSMC_MSG_SetVidOffset_1 message). Knowing those things, you may send PPSMC_MSG_SetVidOffset_1 message to SMC by proper sequence of writes to AMD GPU registers using MSI Afterburner CLI:

MSIAfterburner /wr294,[OFFSET] /wr258,195

where [OFFSET] is desired hexadecimal(!) voltage offset in 6mV units, i.e 1 for 6mV, 2 for 12mV and so on
    Keep in mind that such SMC messaging via command line is NOT collision safe, so use it at your own risk and only when there are no tools accessing SMC are running in background (GPUz, Trixx or other instance of MSI AB).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The download binary has been updated. If you have a GTX 980 Ti Lightning please try the updated version.

8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Appreciate the reply, that gives me an idea where to look.

I think I am due for a fresh install of windows 10 this weekend, and try everything with a clean slate.

9. Unwinder

Much easier way would be launching regedit, searching for all traces of EnableUlps, finding the one of them set to 1 and resetting it to 0. Alternately CF can be disabled, monitor cable can be connected to that problematic card then ULPS state can be disabled personally for it via AB settings.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Active Member

GPU:
    XFX RX480 8GB
    hello

Can i import my custom setting from MSI afterburner 4.0.0 ?

11. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I use Trixxx to disable ULPS as it works for all cards in CrossFire in one click, but i use Afterburner for everything else as it's my preferred OC application for our graphics cards, :)

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks, Custom D3D support did the trick. I made a profile for it.

13. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Yeah I am using Trixx right now, much rather use AB though.

Speaking of crossfire....any idea if they are going to hotfix in the ability for us crossfire users to have crossfire in games without a profile? Using custom profiles is broken in the crimson beta drivers, it wont let you apply it. Pretty big issue to be broken.

14. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Report the issue here.

Do you mean you cannot tick and apply the 'Enable CrossFireX for applications with no profile' via the Radeon Settings > Display > Additional Settings > CCC > Performance > CrossFire tab?

Or is it just a case of the custom profiles added to Crimson are not working? Try launching the games via Radeon Settings to see if that kicks the profile into life.

If the issue persists you may need to roll back until Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta or 15.7.1 WHQL.

EDIT

I don't want to take this thread off topic, so pm with a reply if needed.

15. Truckchase!

Truckchase! Member

GPU:
    Thanks Unwinder!

16. Unwinder

17. Unwinder

Good news for some users, I've just implemented unofficial overclocking mode without PowerPlay support for graphics cards with PowerPlay 7 BIOS (AMD Tonga and Fiji).

18. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    I think it'll blow their minds if I post the same "revelations" from way back when, even though it should be known that anything eating up CPU cycles should reduce performance, even if not noticeable.

19. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    :banana:

20. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500

Thank you.

When can we expect it to be available for download?