DX11 Games crashing/blackscreen with music looping

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Spawnraven, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Spawnraven

Spawnraven Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX960 Gaming 4G
    Hi, I recently purchased a new MSI GTX960 Gaming 4G graphics card and it keeps crashing anytime I open a DX11 game (in my case Dragon Quest Heroes and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD). Playing on a DX9 game doesn't seem to crash.

The issue usually happens around 2-3 mins in the game where by either the game crashes and the NVIDIA driver says "NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered" or it goes into a black screen with some music in the background and at this point I have to hard reset.

I switched this card on my brothers PC and the games play fine without a problem which leads me to believe the problem is with my PC... unfortunately I have no idea what's wrong.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The first thing to try is to use driver cleaner then re-install a fresh driver.

There could be a conflict with your sound card. Sometimes Nvidia HD audio can cause problems and if you're not using it, disable it in hardware manager.

You might consider re-installing Windows but that is probably the last resort.

3. GPU

GPU Guest

also what sound config are you using? mb to xxxx via cable type ?
    after updating your sound drivers
    right click speaker icon go to play back devices
    make sure the mb sound chip is the default play back device and disable all others like hdmi x 4 ? that is on the vid card if not being used.