Crazy clocks on r9 285 and r9 380 - how to lock?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rodrigoxm49, Dec 4, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you setup a profile (properly) in AB and applied it?

Disable powerplay : Unofficial overclocking mode> Without powerplay support)

If all fails enable "force constant voltage".

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Would like to ask full system specifications from OP. Number and types of HDDs, number of fans. Overclocking on CPU, if any.
    Because it is i5-2500k and it would be naive to actually consider power consumption values OP provided.
    80W / 100W, where did it came from? It is 95W TDP chip as a base. Overvolting, overclocking increases power consumption drastically.
    95W TDP is achieved upon loading all 4 cores and therefore making them sit on 3.3GHz. My humble OC to 4.5GHz on all 4 cores makes it 130W CPU. Together with little overvolting it becomes 175W CPU. Add mobo which usually eats around 30W and you are on 205W without single fan and HDD. But VRMs on mobo heat up more due to higher current pasing through and decrease efficiency and mobo can then eat 40W+ based on temperature.

HH calculated/measured R9-380 2GB (990/1375MHz) card to consume 196W, 4GB version at same clock is bound to eat something above 200W.
    (From my experience with HD7970, it's power consumption went from regular 185W while being cool = 40~60°C on VRMs, to 220W at point where VRMs hit 80°C+. And with Accelero Xtreme I always kept GPU under 60°C. Power consumption would be even higher with less capable cooling.)

So, please ADD your temperatures on CPU, GPU, VRMs.
    I hope OP understands that FANs in PC tun on 12V and eat 0.5~1.0A based on monstrosity level. That's 6~12W per fan.
    And taking that PSU to its limits will cause it to heat more, decreasing efficiency...

OP, my advice, take card, box it, send it back. Get greener green 200W card and see if guys in nV section can solve your problems.

3. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
  4. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    Crimson's bug. Thanks for trying to help me, guys. Now I have the latest Catalyst and things are perfectly fine again.

It's a very well knowing issue about Crimson driver right know. People are talking about it on Reddit and other forums as well. Clock is going crazy.

Hope AMD solve this soon, because I really miss the new Control Panel. It's really nice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u8r6z/witcher_3_clocks_on_crimson_1511/

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You can create a profile in RadeonPro and use the Overdrive tab on it normally. After that, right click on the profile and select "Disable API Detection". That will enable your stable clocks, but it will not inject any code in the game, so it won't crash.

6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    afterburner will most certainly lock your card to your 3d clocks if you really want to. It will require a reboot and it will stay at full clocks is the drawback....will be hotter and use more power. Disable power play and force constant voltage and it will do just that.

I have to use that feature for 3dmark oddly enough lol...everything else will use my overclock clock just fine without doing that. But if all else fails that method do do the trick

7. rodrigoxm49

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    No, mate, my problem is not the 3D clock. In some way GPU drivers think the game don't need all of available juice from my card, so keep in 3D clock, but lowering a "little bit". Sadly it's not real little bit, because 990Mhz to 700Mhz or even 550Mhz is a huge difference. If we have a heavy game, this will cause stutter. But the 3D clock is not the problem.

I will try reinstall Crimson and use this tool here on games that RadeonPro doesn't work: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404465

8. rodrigoxm49

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    I will give it a try! Thanks man!

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Afterburner didn't lock my clocks with the Crimsons, had to roll back yet again.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    !!!

Working fine here.

:3eyes:

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ClockBlocker? Radeon Pro?

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    And AB

There are software needed to do what AMD drivers can't do properly:

Let AMD GPU customers use their GPUs without stupid limits who hit hard performance in games.

They are the only software solutions before a better (and expensive) hardware solution: change GPU maker.