"Users Claim That Crimson Software Killed Their AMD GPUs, AMD Acknowledges.."

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    I had this problem with 15.11 drivers on one of my 290 cards (XFX with stock cooler (second card),main one is Powercolor 290x PCS+ was fine). The fan was stuck on 20%. But i have not noticed in the Crimson drivers the situation as I installed water cooling on that card two weeks ago. Need to check.

2. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    They keep making themselves look more and more incompetent. I've never seen anything like it. AMD........ bad one.

3. saucerer

saucerer Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R290X
    I had this since 15.7!

I had this issue since 15.7! -_-

Story:
    My R290X started overheating and tripping the whole system in September after I upgraded to Catalyst 15.7.1.
    Initially I thought it was a power supply as the error I was getting was related to power surges and I was not monitoring GPU temperatures before then.

The fan speed in default mode would not go further than 20%. The maximum temp in automatic mode is 95C. The system cuts out if the GPU temp will go over 90C so I have to run it in Override mode now which sucks as it was fine before.
    I upgraded the drivers to 15.9 and later to the first Crimson and it's still the same.

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Death To Nvidia 99999$ Cards!
    Death To AMD 99999°C Cards!

All Hail Intel Graphics!

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah the only difference is that Nvidia immediately pulled that driver down. Where as AMD is not doing that for whatever reason.

7. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Well.. Glad I noticed this issue the same day where I installed the new "Crimson" software. It wasn't the biggest issue for me, since I go into the "Overdrive" section quite often and saw the fan speed being locked to 21%.. Though, my sympathies to the "casual" user who might not have noticed. Or even worse, lost their card because of this bug.

8. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    No probs here with my Asus Strix R9-285 OC I sit right next to my case so I hear the fans spin up when things get a little toasty

I do wish AMD had given us a proper fan profile setup like that of AfterBurner and Trixx the one speed fits all is not a good way to go

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The reason the Crimsons got through is because somebody at AMD pushed them to get through--they were not ready for release--not even close--but somebody was pushing it to meet AMD's self-imposed annual deadline that they started last year with the "Omega" drivers (which were just another Catalyst release with a sporty new name for marketing purposes.) The Crimson interface as it now sits is feature deficient and buggy, and that's putting it mildly. Fortunately, the 15.11.1 Catalysts are still available from the main driver page and retain 100% functionality, and are terrific Win10 drivers. (I don't have any Win10 driver crashes--the opposite of what I hear said of the green team's Win10 driver efforts *cough*)

The actual Crimson driver set, which runs fine inside the CCC and retains 100% of its function when installed into the CCC shell through the device manager, is a very good driver. It's the Crimson interface that, in a word, stinks. The Crimson interface is the kind of thing you'd expect to see in a mere game console--not in a PC--imho.

I always run Afterburner alongside the Catalysts and have never seen a problem--what I set in AB is mirrored in the Catalysts. And, btw, when you set the fan profile to automatic in AB, in the CCC the fan setting reverts to "manual fan, 50%"--but that is only because the CCC is now taking its fan marching orders from AB--the fan will still follow the AB profile, whatever that may be. It's only when you disable the AB fan profile or uninstall AB that the CCC once again controls the fan according to the CCC fan settings you configured.

In the Crimson interface, fan speed and GPU overclocking are now set individually within each game profile. Supposedly. But the Crimson interface has ripped out resolution switching...! Imagine buying a $600 GPU and being unable to switch screen resolutions through its driver interface! (I can't imagine buying a $100 GPU and not having that level of control in the drivers.) Lots of other functionality has been removed, too. It's just too sad.

"If you can't do it right AMD then don't do it at all!" (Reminds me of Win8 & Metro!)

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

11. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    lol i reported this as soon as the crimson came out... sad that you guys are so late... im curious howmany have burned their GPU

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    And its been that way since the ATI Radeon days. Thats 15+ years! Nothing has changed.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I doubt I would want that car when it comes out the rear end.

15. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    I clicked the button with windows icon in msi-ab now it keeps auto fan profiles.

16. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    I read through this thread and I still don't get it, can someone either confirm what I think or correct me please, because from what I understand this happens only when you want to OC the card and create custom profiles in the Overdrive section.

So it goes something like this, when you install the drivers and just leave everything as is then things will be fine, but if you go into the Overdrive Overclock section and mess around in there then just ignore the 20% fan speed limit leave it untouched, THEN **** hits the fan (ooh, there's a pun there I do believe)

I mean there's a whole big warning where you literally have to accept, that says you risk some things when you do this.... so then you go on and do it and forget to move the fan slider up from 20% ??
    Is that how it's going down, or am I not understanding how it works

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    This is exactly why us Nvidia/MS users don't want forced driver updates through MS or GFE.

Although the likelihood of actual real damage is very low it has happened before and will no doubt happen again.

It's the reason most enthusiasts only do Manual Updates, as we like to read change logs and view other enthusiastic peoples opinions first before doing anything.

We all know AMD drivers aren't the best but missing bugs like this is inexcusable, whether it really did break anyone's card or not is questionable but possible none the less.

18. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
  19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    AMD keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually this is probably a reason supportive of controlled updates. I mean first of all Experience doesn't enforce you to update immediately, you can choose not to install the latest update. But if there is an issue, Nvidia can pull the only source of the driver off the internet. Where as with the current fashion, people may come across this crimson driver on Guru3D (Hilbert actually already pulled it -- cudos on him for doing that) or whatever site, download it and never read anything about the fan control issues -- AMD is left powerless to completely pull it.

Not that I support controlled updates entirely, but I think in this particular situation it would be better.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.