Shame on you AMD .... !!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by testooo, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Just to empathize a certain point, this situation is only like this on Windows and the proprietary AMD Linux driver.

I have an older Radeon HD 2400 GPU that still receives driver/graphics-related updates on Linux with the OSS driver (currently enjoying DRI3 on XOrg 1.18 with Fedora 23), and afaik (I could be wrong), support goes as far-back until around the ATI Rage Pro stuff, and that only happened "somewhat" recently (I think some kernel between 3.17 and 4.2 dropped support for super-old ATI cards).

The general point is is that driver support for AMD and ATI cards goes far into legacy as well as the newer stuff with the OSS driver, but there's of course caveats and other stuff for certain GPUs, functionality, and whatnot. I'm more or less just stating this for people totally unfamiliar to the driver situation on Linux. AMD's "legacy" status has no-relation to the OSS Linux driver, and the OSS driver is probably in much-better shape than the last Windows driver for 1st-gen legacy (probably the wrong term, but I mean HD4xxx and lower).

I wouldn't be surprised if people with 1st-gen legacy stuff finding a better graphics-experience on Linux currently though, and pre-GCN stuff would be on-par if not better as well. Even muxless switchable graphics setups seem to do better on Linux in my experience (can actually dynamically power my dGPU and easily offload graphics to it when/if-needed). And not directly-related, but I'm still enjoying monitor suspend on my 7850 on Linux too (has AMD actually found a solution to that yet on Windows?) :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  2. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    I have mint xfce 17.1 (dual boot with win 7) on that athlon x2 4000+ + hd 4350. I did upgrade it to kernel 4.2 but the original kernel is 3.13 and looks to still be maintained. If 3.13 still has support for really old ATI it can be an alternative to Windows.

In term of gaming you don't really have that many options. I know that on that athlon x2 4000+ + hd 4350 cs:go has in mint xfce 17.1 half the fps I have in Win7 in some cases (it has something to do with the interface (menu and stuff like that)). Yes I know I try to run cs:go under the min req. The test was done with default mesa, gonna try with xorg edgers ppa (xfce is installed on hdd, on my pc mate is on ssd so i'd rather break the xfce).

I have dual boot on my pc also and I see no real diference between Mate 17.2 and Win 7 in Dota 2 and CS:GO (xorg edgers ppa for Mate 17.2 cause i need mesa 10.6 or newer to run Dota 2 Reborn client and I don't like oibaf ppa, broke the mint xfce a couple of times...).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Another option (albeit a bit roundabout) might be to give CS:GO a try through Wine with gallium-nine. I believe pontostroy did some tests with a few Source engine games and found that Wine + gallium-nine had slightly-to-significant better performance than the native Linux client. Valve with Source Engine 1 games is doing a D3D-to-OGL process (it's a bit faster than the way Wine does it normally/without gallium-nine), but gallium-nine skips that translation and runs D3D9 stuff straight to the GPU (sometimes even fixing rendering issues, and even leading to better framerates over Windows in some cases)

On a slightly-related note, gallium-nine and Wine can also be used for non-Valve games too, and can be basically tried with any game that runs on Wine and uses D3D9. I had really good results with Guild Wars 2 when I last tried it months ago, and I currently use it to play WoW.

Hmm, that's definitely not the overall experience I hear in most scenarios nowadays, but those tests were also back before significant improvements to the OSS stack (kernel improvements between 3.8 and 4.2, XOrg 1.13 vs 1.18, and Mesa 9 vs 11 mainly).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015

5. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Wow, this thread really ballooned into a respectable (somewhat...) discussion!

6. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    5 years old my friend. Hope someone make hacked drivers for you, but you have to understand that is nothing wrong about this decision.

7. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    What do you need non-legacy drivers for anyways? "Dropped support" hardly means anything when the drivers are already as optimized for your hardware as possible and bugs ironed out a long time ago.

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisD_pqlRHQ

9. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    HD 5850 is first DX11 card, it ran BF4 at release 1080p/medium like 30fps.

10. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Say what you will about anything with Nvidia, but you really gotta love how Nvidia had freaking Windows 10 drivers for as far back as the 8x00 series of GPUs. (Far as I know, all of their DX10 GPU's got driver support, right?)

It really is lame that people are like "It's 6 years old, it's your fault" instead of blaming AMD for not supporting a product.

11. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    WHQL means nothing.

12. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Everything means nothing.

13. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    a 6900 2GB is still a perfectly capable card for current games in terms of raw power and vram, I think the fact that fallout 4 for example listed a Fermi card as minimum for Nvidia (550 Ti, which was not a lot better than the old 5770!) and a GCN card for the AMD side has more to do with this (lack of support) than raw power, so it's a real loss I think,
    it's to be expected for 5 years old cards to not be supported anymore considering the past but, Nvidia is doing it, Fermi is apparently going to get WDDM 2.0/DX12 drivers at some point, and it's not like all current games are not still DX11, so support for DX11 hardware should make perfect sense.

a 6970 is stuck with WDDM 1.3 drivers (basically win 8.1 drivers in a new package?) and no bug fixes, people can have all the excuses, but in the end it's showing a significant advantage for Nvidia once again (unless Nvidia was lying and never updates the Fermi drivers again),

also it's poor form from AMD because they are still selling lots of rebranded "legacy products", new, like Richland APUs, and rebranded 5450/6450s (like R5 230)

14. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
  15. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    is that supposed to be funny?

things changed a lot faster in the past (take 1999 to 2004, we went from DX6 being good to DX9c, TnT2 to Geforce 6800), people now can keep hardware for longer and expect support for longer,
    like DX11 cards could be supported while DX11 is still the API being used by all games or you can even look at Nvidia adding new API support to their 2010 Fermi cards!?

it amazes me that one would be surprised that people are upset about this.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now to be fair amd 5xxx was fighting nvidia 2xx which nvidia dropped from their main drivers a while back like year or so a go and are ending the support totally on april 1st 2016. While 6xxx was dropped before nvidia drops 400 which will most likely only get dx12 support if that. Nothing stops the old amd card from working with new games those just won't get any fixes if need be. Playing indie games will work just fine.

It's not like not getting new drivers will make gaming impossible what planet are you guys living on... Most likely it won't mean anything for terascale card users they just don't get drivers that do nothing for them.

Only support older then 5000 series cards for amd on w10 are drivers that come through windows update.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  17. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT

that's not very accurate, the GTX 200 series were the previous gen from 2008, DX10 cards and competed for most of their life with the 4800 series,
    AMD launched their 40nm DX11 cards (5800) before Nvidia (they had bigger problems with the migration to GDDR5 and 40nm), and so competed for around 6 months with older 55nm DX10 Nvidia products, but for the vast majority of their life the DX11 VLIW Radeons competed wit Fermi, from march 2010 up until GCN, Kepler also arrived a few months after the 7970 and so competed at launch with the GTX 580.

in any case, Fermi is clearly older than Terascale 3 (VLIW4) from the 6900s and Trinity/Richland APU.

no support means big problems for people with crossfire and no bugs being fixed, like the one in fallout 4 with godrays as an obvious recent example, a game which should run perfectly fine on a 2GB 6900.

18. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

WHQL and driver date matters if WU on Win10 override drivers you use. It will always override non WHQL, unless blocked using crap tool

19. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
    Shame on you amd?
    Don't make me laugh. Look again. You got crimson drivers as well. Without some of the goodies, of course. Because that hardware is different than GCN, and some features can not be supported.

20. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    it's at least something, because they hyped the driver without never saying it was a GCN only thing and until that point the DX11 Radeons were all included on the latest driver package, and they knew they would announce the end of support for all those DX11 cards the same day and it would be even more disappointing without it, but the legacy crimson adds only the overdrive profiles and custom resolution for the old cards from what I can see all the rest is missing, it's just the new interface, and things that should not be GCN hardware only, like frame rate target are missing for older cards, also VSR and so on... when Nvidia added similar features (last year I think) they added DSR, adaptive vsync and so on for Fermi cards, not just the newest cards.

I doubt frame rate target, and maybe VSR and shader cache and other things are not possible due to hardware on the older cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.