AMD r9 390x 4+ monitor issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Boonator, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Boonator

Boonator Guest

GPU:
    AMD r9 390x
    Hi All,

Hoping someone can Help me with some monitor setup issues that I am having for a flight SIM setup.

We have 2 amd r9 390x and the hope is that we can run 3 Projectors and a basic monitor off one of the cards and have the second in crossfire.

The Graphics card has, 3 Display ports - 1 HDMI and 1 DVI ( there seems to be multiple configurations when I search R9 390x)

The issues I am having is when I have 3 Projectors connected to the Display ports on one card ( so I can use Eyefinity) by way of Display port out on the GFX card to HDMI cables to plug into the projectors if I plug a 4th monitor in to the DVI or HDMI port one of the Projectors will turn off, It also seems to be the same projector no matter what order they are plugged into the DPs on the card

I don't have a great deal of detail on the Projectors to hand but I can tell you that 2 of them are the same model (no branding or anything like that, they seem slightly cheep but replacing them would be probably too expensive) but the one that keeps turning off seems to be an older model. All three projectors are HD 1080p and will run fine with Just the 3 plugged in (including eyefinity)

This issue also seems to be present when I turn off crossfire and attempt to plug the fourth monitor in to the second card (via HDMI or DVI) but does not happen if I have only two projectors on one card and one projector and the monitor on the second card.

From my understanding the Best case would be to be able to, in some kind of configuration, run the 3 projectors with "AMD Eyefinity" and the fourth monitor being the windows desktop all off one card, and have the second setup in crossfire.

Can someone please help me trouble-shoot this issue, I have come across multiple threads about Active adapters and why they are needed but these also suggest that DP to HDMI would not need an Active adapter so i'm very confused about that..

It seems there is no reason known reason why this would not work ( 3 DP and one HDMI)

would native/best screen resolution come in to it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. ohmerx

ohmerx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    Hello according to this faq : http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/170

You can connect 4/6 display port monitor but only 3 with legacy signal (DVI/HDMI/VGA)

I think You use a DP to HDMI cable for you 3 projector (they don't have DP connexion ?)

according to this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw

You can only connect 2 legacy signal(HDMI/VGA/DVI) and 4 native signal (DisplayPort), the fact is that your adaptator cable to hdmi is probably passive one , i think you need to find 2 active Display port adaptator for your setup to work.

*When you use a passive adaptator your video card output a legacy signal
    *When you use a Active adaptator your video card output a native signal

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. Boonator

Boonator Guest

GPU:
    AMD r9 390x
    Thanks for that detail ohmerx, that explains perfectly what is going on and the "limitations" on the graphics cards we have working with older hardware.

I will get some active DP Adapters for this setup and see how we go.

I Really appreciate the assistance!