Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Why on earth do i get the same amount of draw calls on high and ultra shadow distance. Both are at 15800 at the very demanding spot on the tower. I already noticed this before. Changing from ultra to high didn't actually do anything regarding my performance.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @RexOmnipotentus, cause both of them have iDirShadowSplits at 3. This goes for quantity of detailed shadows. Try this:

fDirShadowDistance=6000.0000
    fShadowDistance=6000.0000
    iDirShadowSplits=2
    bSinglePassDirShadow=1
    fBlendSplitDirShadow=48.0000
    uiOrthoShadowFilter=3
    uiShadowFilter=3
    iMaxFocusShadowsDialogue=4
    iMaxFocusShadows=4
    iShadowMapResolution=3072 ; you can change this to 2048. But it wouldn't have that much of the difference in performace with iDirShadowSplits at 2.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    simply math from seeing results from other people :)

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Shadow map resolution has no effect on the amount of draw calls. The fact that the draw calls for high and ultra shadow distance are exactly the same, proves that the game draws the same amount of shadow on high and ultra. There is no difference.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    iDirShadowSplits=2

I was talking about that. Shadow res just a tip...cause a lot of ppl here prefer it at 2048. I'm just sayin that shadow res at 2048 have not that much impact with iDirShadowSplits at 2. Cmon, dude...use the force :D

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    DirShadowSplits has a very minor impact on DrawCalls on top of that tower. The difference is maybe 1000 draw calls. It still worth to set it to 2, but the shadow distance still has the biggest impact. Setting distant object detail and object detail fade to high also lowers the amount of draw calls by 4000.

My two r9 290 are powerfull enough to run this game at 59FPS all the time (sadly my CPU isn't). I don't need to lower the shadow resolution. However, it's indeed one of the first things i would turn down to gain some extra performance ;)

7. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Well, I'm not sayin that iDirShadowSplits at 2 have huge impact on that "hot spot" either :D But it helps really well on middle "hotness" spots. Along with shadows dis at 6000.

If you are using ShadowBoost, then this values...

fTargetFramerate=30.0 // or 35.0 (or really your most average fps you'd prefer and which is you most getting in high draw calls areas)
    fShadowDrawDistMin=3000.0
    fShadowDrawDistMax=6000.0

...will really help also.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That tower might not be draw call bound, but just bad design with no occlusion and weird geometry. That's why we're all getting the same framerate more or less, although we have different CPUs and GPUs.

EDIT: I didn't expect this, but I've basically stopped playing Fallout the day Battlefront came out.

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I was talking about the screenshots that where taking from a tower. Looking down to the city causes a huge FPS drop. Draw Call count on top of that tower is 15800 per frame. The game starts to drop below 59 FPS if i reach 6000 - 7000 draw calls.

10. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Is funny how this game have the worst performance in the worst looking scenes.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Hold on guys beta patch is here

forum.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5194370&postcount=1156

Btw fukk draw calls we need more patches on this Gamewrecks game.

12. ohmerx

ohmerx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    0 % improvement for me in the screenshot location we all use in the latest post, for once i don't think nvidia feature have any impact on the game critical performance issue.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I missed something I guess, but how do you get those numbers?

14. ohmerx

ohmerx Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
  15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    With Enboost. The ingame overlay (hit enter + shift to open it) shows the amount of draw calls per frame.

16. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    new beta patch , nothing change .

17. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Although there still are spots where fps will plunge in to 30s those are lesser and isolated in smaller areas (especially in financial district). The overall experience in town is improved with this patch. The fps stay around 50-60 on 70-80% of the time.

P.S. Is just me or this patch lower the difficulty? It seems more easy now to kill mutants and scums.

18. SkyR

SkyR New Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290 Crossfire
    I haven't been able to check all posts here.
    Is there any perfect crossfire profile/fix already?

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm using CrossFire for over 10 hours now and it's working really well. Running the game at 4K.

However, it's not perfect. I'm using AFR-friendly mode with my fix i posted at page 14.

Problems i've encounter so far:
    - Ambient Occlusion isn't working as intended. It isn't really annoying (at least for me), but it becomes very pixelated in some situation.
    - The face of your character will turn pitch black. There is a way to counter this:
    -> Save the game
    -> open the console
    -> type 'sexchange' (this will change your in the other sex
    -> load the savegame you mad before you used the console command. Now your face isn't black, but should flicker. It's still far from perfect, but less annoying. Wearing a mask could also counter this problem.
    - If you pick a lock, the screen around the lock will flicker. It's nothing to worry about.
    - Bodies may sometimes flicker, this is very noticable
    - The perk tree is a flickering mess. All the images are flickering, but everything else is working fine. It's annoying, but something i can live with. It's not like i'm looking at the perk tree all the time.
    - In very rare cases stuff in the distance is very blurry. Only way to fix it is a restart. This only happens if you start the game. So you don't have to worry that the game bugs out while you are playing.

It's up to you if you consider this perfect enough. The scaling is perfect (100/100 scaling) and 99 procent of the time everything is running fine. I rather don't have all these problems, but it enables me to play this game in 4K and it's totally worth it.

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @RexOmnipotentus, when you sayin 4k you talking about 3840x2160, right? How did you do this with r9 290? 15.11.1? I thought they can do 3200x1800 max atm.