What do You think is the Best Pc game EVER?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nz3777, Nov 17, 2015.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Picking just 1 is tough as I've been gaming since 1979. I'll go with 5 all-time favorites. :nerd:

X-Wing/Tie Fighter (1993/1994) - These were some of the most amazing space combat games ever made. The missions felt important and the game play is still better than most space shooters today. The graphics (at the time) were pretty astounding and in 1995 they released a full voice version. (We used to play games with mostly text as they were on space limited floppy disks.)

Battlefield 1942 (2002) It was an amazingly different shooter from anything else with a fantastic offline MP mode and some great mods, spawning Desert Combat and many others. I have never played a shooter more than that one.

Privateer (1994) As a fan of the Wing Commander series, it was great to get an open world space adventure made by the same team. The freedom you had was a wonderful new experience. The upcoming Star Citizen is a spiritual successor.

Civilization (series) (1991-present) From day one, this game... It's midnight, must go to bed... OK. Just one more turn... Look back at clock; suddenly it's 3am. So addictive.

M.U.L.E. (1983, Atari/Commodore) This was an economics simulation that was way ahead of it's time. I still now play a web based version of the exact same game. The game-play has aged very well as I can't imagine suffering through any of the other games from the 80s.

Honorable mention to Morrowind as my first, fantastic, open world RPG adventure.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Eye of the beholder! (1991). Yikes the graphics now...but god did I love this game!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Thief: The Dark Project
    Never been so immersed. And the fan mission content can be so top-notch that it is difficult to find in AAA titles.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm gonna really date myself here, but did anyone else kick it with Oregon Trail?

I was just talking with people about this a few days ago. Tough game.. i only ever made it to the end of the trail one time.. I finished by myself. My entire family died along the way and I think I had typhoid when I finally finished.

[​IMG]

5. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    For me its S.T.A.L.K.E.R and TES:Morrowind......both games blew my mind with their scope, gameplay and content.......dem Cliffracers tho...lol

6. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

Old timer here. We used to play this a ton in computer class at school. Not the best ever but definitely an all time great. How this hasn't been remade is beyond me.

Best PC game ever?
    May get some hate but I have to go with Starcraft II. I loved the first but the second does everything better. Great multiplayer. Great single player. The HUGE amount of custom content in the Arcade. That Blizzard audio/visual/gameplay polish. There's just nothing better, though there are a lot that are very close.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I can recall test drive unlimited but never played it.Another game at the time of Soldier of fortune was the Original Hitman game aka agent 47, Fantastic experience even way back then! I still play hitman games to this day.

8. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    There was a game back in 1984 called, "Asylum" which cast you as an inmate that needed to escape. It was a text game. By that I mean you read a description of the current situation and was asked, "What do you want to do?" You typed in what your next action would be and the game progressed. Movement was done with the keyboard but it just changed the image you saw (hallway, doors, interiors of rooms entered, etc.).

You began the game in a room in the asylum and had to find people to talk to and read message boards in the hallways or examine objects or use them or collect parts to make new objects (all by way of typing the action to be performed). There were no hints, tips, cheats or instructions. You started completely cold and had to intuit everything by using logic or trial and error (or both). It was very addictive and took me 3 months to complete. A great game at the time.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Good ole text based games. Reminds me of the Zork series (also text based games). Think I also played a text based version of Hitchhiker's Guide.

There was something quite satisfying about completing tasks in a text based game with no help at all. In fact, there's not really much out there like it these days. The recent Her Story comes close to that kind of gaming.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Those games have already been mentionned, but for me it would be, depending on the day:
    FPS:
    - Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat mod

RPG
    - Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (didn't even play the first one :/, too young et the time probably :p)
    - Mass Effect 1
    - KOTOR 1&2

Strategy:
    - Red Alert 2 (this intro music, end funny cinematic ..! )) )

11. GPU

GPU Guest

this

12. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Battlefield 2, Lord of the Rings Online (back at it's release) and World of Warcraft

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If I have to pick one game I will always pick T.E.S.III:Morrowind as my all time favorite. Heck, my internet identity is an homage to it (username).

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, if we count time played, then World of Warcraft 2005-2010 was for me the best gaming experience ever. Hate the game has become though, wouldn't go back to it even if it was FTP. I also absolutely love the Witcher trilogy, and the 3rd game in particular is on of the best games I've played in years. But yeah, if I'd have to pinpoint just one game, WoW would still take the crown for me, the "oldschool" WoW that is.

15. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Not going to say any of the common ones... like Half-Life or F.E.A.R... or any of that stuff. If i had to pick an OLDER game that i had an absolute BLAST with (no pun intended).... i'd have to say Starsiege. And i don't mean Tribes. I mean the pre-Tribes Starsiege, mech combat simulation Yes, graphics wise it's no Hawken (it WAS released in 1999 after all), but the gameplay i remember was quite fun and in some cases quite difficult as well. Then there was the added benefit of the game being easy as hell to modify. All the configuration information for the different pieces of gear you could attach to or upgrade a mech with (including weapons and such) were in a simple text file. So you could make a rocket that would typically do not a whole lot of damage in a small area act as if a nuclear warhead just went off and wipe out everything on the map, including yourself (yea... that part was pointless, but still funny!)

16. Alien C.o

Alien C.o Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960
    I couldn't pick only one. Bust some of my absolute favorites are:

Total Annihilation (With Escalation mod)
    Homeworld 2 (With TFS mod)
    Stalker Lost Alpha (Before LA it was Shadow of Chernobyl)
    X Space sim series
    Freelancer/StarLancer
    Doom (With Brutal mod)
    Medieval 2 Total War
    Quake 3 Arena
    Richard Burns Rally (Haven't played Dirt Rally yet)
    Silent Hunter 3 (With Grey Wolves expansion/mod)
    HL1, HL2

There are some that I'm forgetting atm and lot's of PC games I still haven't played yet. But every game I have listed above I still play and enjoy to this day and probably until I die.

Also some of the mods that have been made to these already classics are so good that I would never go back to playing vanilla versions ever again.

17. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Out of all the PC games I've played the one I put the most time into was Quake III Arena, used to spend every spare moment playing it online racking up huge bills, even got ISDN installed in 2001 just to bring my ping down from 200ish to around 50.

Still play it today in it's QuakeLive guise.

18. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    There is no "best" PC game because there are so many genres and generations. This thread title should be renamed "Your five favorite PC games" or something.

19. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Why bother discussing definitions? Defeats the whole topic.

You must be one heck of a fun guy at parties.

20. DLG

DLG Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP 1080Ti
    giants citizen kabuto from long times ago