Kotaku: Blacklisted by Bethesda and Ubisoft?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Nov 20, 2015.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    So a site that is known for spreading misinformation, playing professional victim and not living up to journalistic ethics gets blacklisted?

What is the world coming to!

2. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    My fave comment from the Kotaku article.

"I was planing a secret birthday party for my grandma but Kotaku heard about it and sent emails to all of my family. I asked them why they did this and they responded with. "Because we can, and it's what your family want. We can do what we like, we're journalists, we want your family to know the truth." The party was still okay but the surprise was ruined so it wasn't as good as i could have been. Now they keep emailing me asking if I'm working on anymore secret parties for my family. They said i should of spend a large chunk of resources to make sure ******* journalists don't publish my plans. So now my party money has been reduced.

See, here's the meat and potatoes of the situation. I'm currently in game development and I have tried to put myself in Bethesda's shoes to try and feel whats going on.
    If I saw an article in the same manner as that Fallout 4 leak, I would blacklist Kotaku myself. Here are the reasons why I'd do this.

1- I've been working on this bloody game for years and I really want to surprise my fans with cool details when I see fit. Nothing to do with PR, its just great to get fans excited as we release all these cool details. ....OH **** Kotaku just broadcasted some leaked information for their own personal gain and are passing it off as 'For the readers' Oh well, that's ruined..

2- I've sent my previous games to Kotaku in good faith to review them and stuff, or whatever. Oh ****, I've just seen an article outlining secret project details to all their readers which serves no purpose other than to outline some secrets the readers want to be secret until a cool reveal. Well, that's that ruined.

3- It's not just just secret for PR reasons, it's secret because it's fun to announce big details like this to our fans, oh and the fact that it's OUR product. That have free reign to publish whatever the want from the PR team or not from the PR team after we've finished. Kotaku just broadcasted it like morons.

There's no misconduct to report on, there's no secret dealings that have been uncovered. It's just a cheap shot right in the kisser and that's why we'll blacklist them indefinitely."

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    HA HA Made my day when i read this. Game Journalism is dead. I rue the day that these type of s-h-i-t-l-o-r-d-i-n-g websites really do die out for good.

Ouroboros comes to mind when i read this.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This again??? Come on. They brought it on themselves. I have no sympathy for them.

Thats crazy talk. This thread is no place for facts and common sense. You better cut that out. :nerd:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    +1

If a review site has any sort of agreement with game publishers like embargos until a specific date and/or "optimal" score for reviews in exchange of free copies and maybe "additional incentives" they must stick with the contract even if it's not 100% ethic or "free speech".

If the review site broke the agreement the publisher can obviously blacklist them and with valid reasons!

You can't sign a contract and be the "voice of freedom" at the same time.

:cussing:

This doesn't make all game publisher automatically saints (Old story):

http://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yep, I don't think anyone here is going to defend Kotaku. Everyone knows they screwed up and are playing the victim now. Even if they actually were a "victim" I'd still have no sympathy and say good riddance due to their SJW BS. That alone should have been enough to get them blacklisted by everyone.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yup, these are a few of what I have in my Hosts file since late 2014

If I am curious about an article from any of them, there's almost certainly an archive link already available :p

You hurt my feelings. I don't want you as a mod anymore m'kay?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Jesus, how many of those are under Gawker media?

Edit: Nevermind, Wikipedia delivers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gawker_Media

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    **** that site, but it's influential, strange they are not advertisingpublishing

10. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    What is with Game publishers demanding Journalist constantly fellate them? Such an insidious industry.