Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    SUGGESTION:

Would be great the monitoring(and OSD) to show the actual process used for specific running game's executable, at least as an option for the user to may choose GLOBAL or specific process usage.

Is it possible?

This way we will know for example how much RAM (and more) a game is using.

(it would be like Windows' Resource Monitor but simpler)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. Magissia

Magissia Member

GPU:
    MSI 460 GTX Cyclone1Gb
    It would be really useful to be able to change overclocking settings from command line to allow game specific overclockings.

3. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    I would like MSI to work with XSplit. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. restream.io
    restream allows us to stream to multiple 15 channels at once. restream.io/chat
    it even has a addon that allows us to view chat from multiple stream sites.

but right now I am unable to use msi afterburner as xsplit doesn't like it running.
    it doesn't detect games correctly. xsplit support has been directing us to disable msi afterburner.
    which sucks because I like having that OSD displayed.

http://swtor.tv is a site im currently working on to display multiple feeds from different streaming sites.
    having 1 tool to record and stream with OSD and overclocking would be indispensable.

My YouTube Channel
    first 2 videos will show the msi afterburner OSD working and not working when I was streaming. it has a mind of its own :eyes:
    I was working on it again last night trying different settings and starting apps in different orders with admin setting
    http://twitch.tv/Therapy_Needed
    http://hitbox.tv/VETTEswtor
    which show some things working and others not. I just want MSI Afterburner OSD to work with XSplit

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    currently the work around for XSplit is to load Xsplit first then start MSI Afterburner.
    I did some testing last night and was able to get it all working

5. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    It would be really nice if we could record at 23.970\29.970 framerate.

Thanx

6. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Hello!

Fantastic essential program!

Can it be possible to save the 5 custom profiles (per card) from Afterburner to an external files (Export) and then Import it back after a Windows re-installation? Only for more convenience

Can it be possible to have multiple instances of the main Afterburner's UI to show my 2 (or more) video cards and their adjustable sliders at the same time?
    Currently, we have to go in settings and select the 'Master Graphics Processors" to alternate. Only for more convenience
    It might be to big of an UI for certain screens and resolution, but maybe to fit everything in one main interface?

Note that I don't realllly mind if any of those is considered/implemented because I'm achieving my goals with the current Afterburner and RTTS already! :thumbup:

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Look into C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles\ for a file VEN_*.cfg
    Save that file and after Windows reinstallation put it back in place.

8. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Feature Request:
    Always display GPU Usage in 3 digits

Currently GPU usage in OSD is either 0%, 10% or 100%
    If you have more than GPU(CPU) Load in one line the whole line will move forward backward if the number get's a digit more.
    This is way more distracting as a single digit change from 0 to 1

[​IMG]

Instead of displaying 0% it would show 000%

Is this Feature possible?
    And more important does anyone else except me care about this? ^^

9. HeatSurge

HeatSurge Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 c216 679/1080
    Logging options request/suggestion:

I hope Unwinder sees this, there's this thread and the other thread for suggestions... I'm deciding to post here since the other one seems more for bugs.

Since Afterburner is already always running on my PC, and since as of last year (ish?) it provides CPU utlization/temperature/etc. monitoring, I have recently decided to use it to record logs for stability/cooling efficiency(dust) monitoring.

The problem is, I want to have the option of one of two functionalities which don't seem to be possible currently in AB. In my opinion, either one should be possible and implemented, but if you choose one, that's okay too.

- I'd like to have a "rolling log" of a constant size, let's say a single-file log that's 5MB in size, and when it gets to 5MB it erases the earliest "observation" to record the latest one. Meaning, it works kind of like a dash cam in cars, and it holds exactly 5MB of data, always rotating (erasing earliest, recording latest) so you can have a 5MB-big "instant replay" of your temperature/usage/etc. logs. At reboot, the logging engine doesn't overwrite the file, it just continues to rotate through it.

- I'd like to have the option to record logs with the date embedded in the name, in a folder, and have the total folder size either kept at a "choose how much MB" size, or, probably more simple to implement, simply "erase logs older than X days (e.g. 7 days)" so in that folder you simply have:
    2015-12-06.mhl
    2015-12-07.mhl
    2015-12-12.mhl

(and when it gets to 12-13, 12-06 gets erased automatically according to the setting).

----

Right now, the logging functionality options can't accomplish either use case. I have currently set it to overwrite the log every time the program starts, which is not a great solution for what I want.

Also, I haven't looked at how easy it is to paste .MHL into excel, but is it possible to choose a log format, so they can also be in .csv format somehow? Maybe one line per "observation" (one line every poll) with all chosen values in columns so they're easy to paste into e.g. excel/openoffice.

Thanks for all your long-running and great work Unwinder!

(P.S. I should mention I don't even install the rivatuner statistics server, I don't need/want video recording or OSD - and I'd like to keep it that way)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    The .mhl file *is* a .csv file, just with a different extension. This way double-clicking on it opens it in Afterburner (which visualizes the graphs)
    instead of your spreadsheet program. You can simply rename it to .csv or have the default filename have a .csv extension if you don't need to open
    it in Afterburner.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

11. HeatSurge

HeatSurge Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 c216 679/1080
    Thanks, I thought as much. I'm writing this from work, I'll check when I get home. That's more of a non-issue anyway, because even if it wasn't, it's not a
    big deal to look at the logs using the built-in viewer (which is what I would do most of the time anyway).

The logging and time/size/filename management are really the ones I wanted to suggest.

12. Assiduous

Assiduous Guest

GPU:
    R9 270 / 2GB
    I'd really like to see Linux support. MSI Afterburner is one of the (few) apps i'd really miss moving to Linux Mint.

In 2012, unwinder wrote "Zero chances, sorry".

Gaming on linux is alot healthier these days...

Many big name games run natively in Linux... Dota 2, XCom2, Dying Light... Civilisation 5 & 6, Talos Principle, Cities: Skylines, Kerbel Space Program, Shadow of Mordor, FTL...

Steam features over 1,800 native linux titles.

What's the answer in 2016?

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The same.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hello,

Any chance for vreg voltage and temps for monitor and OSD in the next update for amd cards?

15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    OSD characters change color based on a particular value. Not the entire OSD. Just like the temp value if it gets too high. Something like that.

16. adamsvcz

adamsvcz Member

GPU:
    GTX 580/1536MB
    Since fraps hasn't been updated for a long time, I like to ask you for a minor improvement – would it be possible to make monitoring log work the similar way as fraps do? I mean possibility to start/stop logging with hotkey + possibility of automatic stopping logging in xx seconds?

17. alint77

alint77 Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 "red-modded"w/ h70
    i would really like to set "Hardware polling Rate" to something lower than 100 so i can monitor FrameTimes like how DigitalFoundry does...

any chance you can add it down the road?

Sry for my poor english

18. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is undocumented MinHwPollPeriod field, which you may add to [Settings] section of MSIAfterburner.cfg. It is allowing you to override default minimum value.

19. alint77

alint77 Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 "red-modded"w/ h70
    thank you sir

you are awesome

20. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I've been benchmarking the AMD AMF Codec Recording, and with a HD 7850 i get 63FPS on the benchmark dispite any resolution I choose.

On my laptop, using the intel HD card with Quicksync codec, I can archieve 180FPS at 768P and if i drop the resolution it goes to 300FPS or more, on my HD 7850 dropping the resolution don't boost the performance.

Same happens with the NVENC which archieve almost 300FPS on a GT 740M (Kepler) and if I drop the resolution goes beyond that, on the AMD side again, always stuck at 63FPS no matter the settings I put.

Is this a problem with AMD AMF, or it's just a little more work needed by your end Unwider?
    Can we expect improvements?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.