Review: MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WannaÂ* see something really trendy and new reviewed? Join us as we take a look at the MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium. It probably is the most interesting looking motherboard released ever thanks to...

Review: MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium

2. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    wow, that thing is sexy

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    and most important, it is not red/black :)

good job MSI and good review HH

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Give me around 5.5ghz and a board like this and I am upgrading....

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Oh god that sexiness, it wants my money. :(

6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    A little more info on the OC Dashboard, please?
    Such as, how does it connect, both internally and externally?
    Where is it supposed to be mounted externally? How long is the cord that attaches it to the mobo?
    Does it fit in a slot, or is it free standing, or is it like an ASUS dashboard which mounts in a slot or can be made freestanding?
    Does this mobo have an on-board speaker? The diagnostic l.e.d. is in a strange position that would be nearly out of sight with the cases I have. It's probably just fine with an open test bench, bit in a normal enclosed & windowed case?
    I wonder how much (or little) it would have been to slap an l.e.d. on the OC Dashboard? It seems to me that it would be an appropriate, and excellent addition to the OC Dashboard so you could immediately see the diagnostic code, right there with the OC set/reset controls.

7. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    4090 watercooled
    First page: "not one but M.2. slots"

I'm assuming it is missing number two (2).

Trying to resist upgrading my antique rig until next year though. Reading reviews of all these gorgeus HW isn't helping though.

8. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I can't believe they are still using that spot for the auxiliary pci-e power connector. I doubt you can find a worse spot even if you tried.

9. dmatthewstewart

dmatthewstewart Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290X Lightnings
    Its the best looking motherboard Ive seen to date. And this review actually brain-washed me into buying it. Which is weird because I didnt have the cpu, ddr4 ram, or a mono-block on order. Sooooo....

I guess Im building a Skylake rig now. Not really sure what happened there. But thanks, I think. Now Im trying to figure out if I should sell off my Crosshair V Z, my Dominator ram, all my water blocks, and the fx 8350 or if I should just have two totally capable rigs.

Just dont send me any gpu reviews. Im out of $

10. dmatthewstewart

dmatthewstewart Guest

GPU:
    2x r9 290X Lightnings
    Is it right under (bottom left) to the cpu? If so, youre right, that is terrible. But does anyone really use that? Why is it even there? Or wait, is that the other cpu power plug? I really hope not. I'll return it. If its PCIE then 1) I dont know why its there, 2) who would use it and what for, and 3) now I cant stop looking at it.