75 percent of Windows Phone Owners Migrate to Android or iOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I doubt anyone here would use Windows on their PC as well if there was a similar OS not made by MS.

One thing we all hate in life is monopolies. They force you to use it and that's why people will jump ship to another OS as soon as they can, not just because it's restrictive or bad.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I personally use linux on a regular basis, and at home I don't use wine for anything. I have set up linux for several computer illiterate people and they hardly ever call for my help. The problem lies with the semi-literate people, who don't have the "courage" or patience to deal with a different OS. For smartphones, they all pretty much behave the same.
    The smartphone manufacturers may not be monopolies for their mobile OSes, but they're still powerful enough to make things like Blackberry "give up".

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Agree, Linux is easy. If you can fix issues with your Windows PC and Google, you will also be able to with Linux. Literally the only thing that prevents me going 100% Linux is DirectX and MS know it.

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    My next phone has to have physical qwerty and camera good as 1020. Otherwise i just keep my 1020 rest of my life.

Dont care about OS, long as its not IOS :D
    I use phone for news,mail,text and calling. I also answer calls ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

5. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmm...

This is just rubbish from a person who have not actually used any of this stuff IRL. Because its all non-sense lies.

Its not about what Android doesn't have. Its about what IT can't take away from their users on Android. Enterprise IT is not about giving stuff to users. Its about taking everything not essential to work away.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Since 4.4 using Google Admin you can set limitations and block types of apps and access on Android devices. Problem is this still doesn't work on every Android phone, Samsung devices are not in management support, HTC can block play store apps but not side load apps, LG works but only the G3 and G4, Motorola works no problem, and Nexus devices or GPE devices work 100%.

Aside from managament, Android is still not business friendly. There's hardly any encryption, any real deployment tools, and very limiting tracking. Windows Phone has this already thanks to having adapted server support from its x86 brother, and Apple has its own through Apple MDT. Probably the most business friendly Android device would be a toss up between Android Black, or the Blackberry Priv.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I actually just recently switched (like 3 weeks ago) from a windows HTC OneM8 to a Galaxy Note 5. I absolutely loved my windows phone, it did everything I wanted it to do, make phone calls, answer and let me reply to incoming texts while driving all with never ever once having to pick up my phone, true hands free with Cortana. The only things i disliked was it was old, the camera was absolute garbage, and still no app support. I have an iPod touch and an iPad I use for 99% of my apps but there were just a couple of apps I wanted to use in my car on my phone which windows phone doesnt support. Having now switched, I love the camera, but I absolutely hate how it has absolutely crap capability compared to Cortana and the Windows phone as far as hands free driving goes. I regret the switch because for me those features of being able to have Cortana read my incoming texts and allow me to reply with whatever I wanted was worth much more than the 2 apps I wanted to use, but now I'm stuck with the Note 5 for at least another year because I dont have the money to pay it off. Those of you who own a Ford vehicle with My Ford Touch and Sync, there is no phone out there that compares to a Windows phone while driving, if you don't believe me, give one a try and see for yourself. Other than that though, I do like my Note 5 and its camera and the plethora of apps I can use on it, but I absolutely loved my Windows phone for its simplicity and its true hands free capability. My Facebook, contacts, email, maps, appointments, all of that was simply the best. I would have an appointment reminder come up, it would give me directions, give me the traffic report and weather and let me know when I should leave to get there on time. Like a couple others mentioned, its because Microsoft has alienated its loyal customers by not having regular releases of a flag ship device, instead its always low end and mid end crap compared to the rest as far as hardware goes.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've always wondered why people complain so much about app selection. How many apps do people actually need/use on their phone? I use a messaging app, a weather app, clock/alarm app, e-mail app, phone app, web browser, visual voicemail app, unit conversion app and a couple small (stupid) games. Every app I need is available on WP, usually from the same dev.

As for the complaints of lag.... My Lumia 640 is quite fluid. My G4 is the first Android phone I've found that provides a similar user experience in that regard. Even my G4 isn't perfect though. It has a few issues of it's own that are starting to become deal breakers for me. I'm waiting for the Lumia 950... At $150USD, it's likely to be my next phone.

Oh yeah....my favorite part about WP....carrier bloat (which is almost non-existent anyway on WP) is 100% removable without voiding the phone's warranty.

Counter-intuitive homescreen??? How so? The home screen for Windows Phone provides more data than Android's home screen. You can pin as many programs to the home screen as you want. When I was using my Lumia 640, I rarely opened an app because the live tiles provided every bit of information I needed throughout the day. With my LG G4, I open the same 4-5 apps multiple times a day just to get the same information that I got from the live tiles on my Lumia just by glancing at the home screen.

Intrusive malware ads? Ads, sure, malware? Nope. Windows Phone has no malware. Every app is sandboxed. Has been since Window Mobile 6.2. No 3rd party app has direct access to the OS itself. Android is just as bad, if not worse for ads....

The app store is actually improving. It's been rather slow, but it is improving.

9. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    I'm running a Lumia 925 - it's a work phone and it was the best specced model available for me to choose from at the time. Previous phone was HTC desire on android.

To be honest I don't mind the UI or the phone at all, I'm not really an app person either which probably helps - my only gripes being Bing, lack of Snapchat and Torque apps (but i also have a nexus 7 tablet for those). I wont hesitate to stick with windows phone if it's available to me at the next upgrade... and there's not another option that's better!

10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    When Microsoft dropped Windows Mobile, I stopped using them as a Mobile OS.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Office is available for Windows Phones. Last check, Office was still a very popular productivity suite.

If the phone is off, of course the alarms aren't going to work. That's common sense. That's the case with most, if not all phones.

As for Office.... there is no requirement to have a "business" license to use the mobile apps....but why should we be bothered by actual facts....

http://products.office.com/en-US/office-resources?msofficeurl=information

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Honestly I can. I switched from the android version of the M8 because of hardware flaws (camera got slower and slower and didn't focus, would only charge from my iPad charger, would no longer connect to my computer through USB) and software issues (the biggest one being the random reboots, but would start playing music for no reason, my phone would not sound notifications for text or phonecalls but had no issue sounding the loudest alert possible is someone tagged me in Facebook even though I had those notifications turned off). I switched back to iOS and got a 6+. Is it the best phone I've ever had? No not even close, but it is much better than the M8.

HTC has some real quality issues, but they are a relatively new company to the premium smart phone segment unlike Samsung and Apple.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Directx, being "incompatible with other humans their programs", ... the list to not go linux is pretty huge imo on the grand schale of things.

Though if they didn't exist, there would be no reason to use Windows for me.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Same here. I loved how Windows Mobile used to be. It was very stable, fast and you even had the options of flashing custom roms, customizing the hell out your phone, tweaks, skins, etc...

After Windows 6.1 or so it went downhill and became far too restrictive just like Apple ios...

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Hmm, I've used MY WIFE's phone a lot actually and what I wrote are facts.

Alarms don't work when the phone is off and you can't do something as basic as Sync your Outlook or Word docs.

Right and you can't sync it to your Office 365. There's a fact for you.

Maybe you're only 12 and have only used 1 phone so I'll let you know that since the Nokia 3210 in 1999, phones have had alarms that worked when switched off. There's another fact for you!

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, you can, it is available even on android. It came with my S6.
    But I had in mind graphical stuff, programming stuff with built in compiler. Native PC games.

Right now all those devices are just cellphones with some additional features and games developed for them.
    But my idea is to have hand held personal computer. You come home or to work and use Bluetooth to connect to keyboard/mouse. WiFi for network/screen (or at least cable to screen).
    And if needed all that easily fit to 1440p 5" screens we have today.

I do not like to develop Android application on PC and send it there. It gives no benefit other than compile speed and that is small time anyway due to small scope of mobile applications.

If we could develop mobile application directly on mobile device, it would be great win for me.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    What phone do you use? Because these days like 90% of the phones do not support that any more. Only recently that feature has started to come back (like in my Honor 6). The latest phone that had that support that I had before Honor 6 was Nokia N80i.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Wait, isn't this standard on phones today? I remember I had a Samsung D900i and after that a U600 (non-smartphones, like 8 years ago) and they supported that. You tellin' me this is no longer a thing? I have to admit, I never shut my phone off. Don't see a reason to.

Yeah this. I do not understand why people are so crazy about Linux and pretend that it's the second coming of jesus christ. Windows is simply better from a normal user's perspective. It's more intuitive and doesn't break so easily. It's more polished.

Especially that excrement called Ubuntu which I've been stuck with for a year at work. There's one tradeoff that pisses me off in Linux in general. You either want the cutting-edge apps and sacrifice stability or you want rock-solid stability and feel ancient.

Myself, I prefer Debian or Kali if there's a distro I would use. I like the terminal. I like the extreme modularity of the ecosystem. But I really don't appreciate it when I install a random driver and I have to spend hours fixing the fact that the system won't boot.

And before someone expresses their negative opinion, no, I'm not talking out of my ass. I've been using Linux for programming environments for years. That's just about the only thing it's very very good at. Because of the modularity. Seriously.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Pretty sure I had a phone recently that would power itself on for an alarm, can't remember which one it was though

Haven't tried with my S5, but tbh, if you use your phone for an alarm, why would you turn it off?

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I don't know why people do that. I mean if you really want to not be disturbed while sleeping, mute the damn thing. Or if you want to conserve battery, there's airplane mode which virtually drains almost no battery.