Introducing FLEM - The Legacy Modder for legacy DirectX 9 and 10 cards.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AmiloMan, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Are you doing this with driver signature enforcement disabled? You must disable it or enable Test mode,there are 12.6 or 13.9 legacy driver you could try but it should have worked with the 13.1 drivers. Try and follow the steps closely using the 13.9 package , it should work for you.:)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    @AmiloMan I have Windows 7, i not download the catalyst from your link.. i just search on google for windows 7(32) bit.. is not fine? i need your files from dat link?
    And yes, is in test mode, and i use 13.9 legacy
    Edit: And.. windows automatically install WDM/Microsoft driver..
    i try to mod on microsoft and on flem.. same **** :( and amd..

Regards,
    ME

3. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB

I have a detailed guide which you could use to understand the basic concepts.
    Read it here: http://digitalflem.mydiscussion.net/guide

Awaken the little beast :) :) :)

4. DaveSSC

DaveSSC New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
    I have same issues as DeMonsRO. My GPU is ATI HD Radeon 2400 XT (PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C1). Windows 7 32bit. I mod 15.11 beta using files from 13.9. I use DDU. Then I'm trying to manually install the driver (update driver option in device manager). The driver starts to install, I click ok to install unsigned driver but the process doesn't finish (I see code 43 in device manager). Testsigning is on.

5. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    Yep.. same here with last driver.. and dat error code..
    @AmiloMan, on my old Radeon x1550 was easy to mod with another driver.. 10.2 with 13.6 for a exemple.. but with the new card, 2400 XT.. nothing working..

6. routergray

routergray Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon X300
    anyone have a good recipe for a Mobility Radeon X300, for Windows 7? Windows 10 too if you have it but my main interest is Win7.

PCI/VEN_1002&DEV_5460

I tried to have a go at it myself, but none of the legacy drivers I have, have the atiumdva.ca_ file, except the 10.2, and the windows 7 driver from the windows update catalog, and this card takes a nosedive in OpenGL performance after 8.6. and i dont know enough about this stuff to know if i can mix that file with the files from another source without blowing something up.

7. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    @AmiloMan, i tried with much drivers.. and no chance.. but what is strange.. is this:
    When i want to "Add legacy hardware" and select manually/display adapters are only 1 brand.. Intel Corporation..

Well, there are a problem with flem?
    Need a update?
    Because 14.9+ not work to mod.. maybe because catalyst are not same?
    AmiloMan ? ^^
    Why i say this? See down:

I test again, now works to mod, 13.12/14.4.. i try soon 14.7 RC3. works.
    Forgot to say, i modded with 13.9 legacy. Installed driver was a Microsoft WDDM 1.1.
    But.. again.. bad resolusion and no catalyst manager to work.. :( damn..
    I tried setup.exe

And DDU not dezactivate autoupdate/WDDM Microsoft..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. Mrsevic

Mrsevic Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon Hd 36
    Multiple times I've tried to mod a driver for my Mobility HD 3650. Would anyone be kind enough to connect to my PC over teamviewer and to the modding himself?

Also if anyone already modded drivers for this graphics card please be kind and let me know.

Sincerely,

Stefan

9. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    That card is a Direct9 card, 10.2 is as far as you can go with the legacy driver as base files. Use the 10.2 as base. Depending on your OS platform you will need to choose the right folder and right number of files to make it work. If you are running on 32bit then 4 files from the LH_INF folder. If you are running 64bit then 8 files from the LH6A_INF folder. Just browse to the folder and files using the little browse buttons.
    Is better OpenGL your main performance target with the modded drivers?
    Long story short , the OpenGL drivers were ether broken or had really bad performance after the 8.x drivers on DX9 cards.
    Try to get a succesful MOD then test for OpenGL performance.
    I confirmed your card as supported so you should be able to MOD a good High performance driver.
    For Windows 7 32/64bit
    The 15.11 Beta driver has good performance, It's a Beta so expect some erratic behavior. Use the 10.2 legacy as Base + the 15.11 Beta drivers. If you are not comfortable running Betas then use the 15.7.1 WHQL drivers which has a load of performance improvements too.

For Windows 10 32bit
    Same procedure but you need to enable test mode before installing the new drivers.

For Windows 10 64bit
    Mod the driver as suggested above but it will not work unless you have Test Mode enabled and in addition to that Test Sign the driver. Windows 10 64bit has made it even more difficult to install unsigned drivers.

10. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Strange.... try reverting back to 10.2 Legacy as base, for some reason the kernel driver is not installing from the 13.9 legacy package.
    For testing use the 10.2 legacy as base with the 15.7.1 WHQL. CCC use the 14.4 package(you have to mod this too).
    Cleanout those installed drivers with DDU then during restart Disable Driver Signature enforcement before installing the driver manually from Device Manager.

11. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    What is the DEV-ID for the card?

12. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    Thanks AmiloMan!
    With 10.2 works.
    But i forgot.. this catalyst control manager is not same, seems no catalyst AI..
    And i not see the performance or the big performance in OpenGL Warcraft 3..
    is even worst, i can't play :( 3-5 fps in Game Menu.. and bad images..
    in directx mode warcraft 3.. with 13.9 60 fps with drops.. with 15.7.1 i have
    50 with drops.. ouch? :(
    Wow.. now VLC Video, works bad ... 720P.. with image issue sometimes
    "Voilla ! You have a high performance driver package installed."

Sorry AmiloMan, but i not see the high performance, i will test soon World of Tanks, now he update..
    Maybe 10.2 filles are too old/bad ?
    They affect my performance?

13. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    It was a test to see why the kernel drivers didn't install from the 13.9 legacy drivers, the 10.2s are a bit outdated and lack the functionality to provide a DX10 card with higher performance since it lacks the proper code.
    Use older drivers like the 13.6Beta with the 13.9 legacy and see if it gives you higher FPS. If at all your card will allow installation of a proper DX10 driver. Keep trying Goodluck !!!

"Voilla ! You have a slow driver package installed.or you are just doing it wrong"

14. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    Don't be mad at me..
    I say just wanted to say.
    If i doing wrong? Nope.
    We are two guys with same problem AmiloMan. I mean the user, DaveSSC.
    What is wrong? seems legit with 10.2.. tested with 12.6 legacy.. but not works

EDIT: I test what you say, got 51 fps in directx mode. +1 fps, not much change
    But.. now opengl mode not work...:pc1:

Regards,
    Me

15. routergray

routergray Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon X300
    Better OpenGL not really, I think I'm already maxed on that. :) And that's just fine; and I don't care a lot about DirectX as far as screaming bleeding edge performance, but it seems that at the same time they destroyed OpenGL they improved DirectX, because I get better DX performance on up into the drivers that the OpenGL sucks on, so I am hoping that with this and some experimentation, I can just keep the OpenGL I already have, and get just reasonable DirectX.

I did a little re-testing amongst my stock drivers, with knowing more now how to clean install, and also being in Win7 instead of XP, and I have the stock legacy 9.3 Mobility Legacy running, it's the best so far and most stable as it seems to really just be a repackaged 8.something anyway, mostly. So regarding your suggestions, I believe I was already about on the same page ready to try that except with OpenGL from this 9.3, and anything that has to be legacy but not OpenGL, from 10.2. I also know more now which files are in the fast-for-me OpenGL drivers, and the common denominator of it is atioglx2.dll, funny because that's the one everybody shuns, seems like, but maybe it's a peculiarity of my particular OpenGL application that it likes that better, who knows. Oh and I'm 32 bit all around, and I know how to make any Windows obedient to me including 10, tho it is certainly more stubborn. :)

Not afraid of beta or alpha or whatever, long as it's not one of those rare beasts that actually can damage hardware. :) So, I'll have a go following your guides and post back how it goes. If I can't get a later driver to bend to my will, I might have a go at just mixing these 9.3 and 10.2, but I'll start at the 15.x and work back a ways first. Something -should- work, I was able to get that modded 12.whatever of dillon's to work, but it was a little bit crashy every once in a while, plus I really like the idea of custom cooking my own with FLEM's help, either directly using it or by what I learn with it. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

16. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Great to hear someone willing to empower themselves :) ! I remember using those drivers myself for along time, just wanted to point out that for OpenGL you could use the 2nd column on the right to mod the files, currently two files are catered for namely: atioglx2.dll and atioglx2.xml(these two are responsible for OpenGL functionality). Yes you could cook yourself a good batch with the 9.3 OGL files and newer DX files(10.2), happy modding.

17. routergray

routergray Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon X300
    Well, this has been a bit of an adventure, and educational.

The atioglx2.dll that I mentioned was a common denominator in all my 'fast' drivers? Yeah, it is, but it is only common to them in the sense that it is included in the package, it isn't -used- on my card, not when i use the 9.3 package. the 8.x that have it do install it but the 9.3 does not.

Also, this is the 9.3 Mobility legacy driver for XP, not for Vista and later, and the performance it gives does not exist in any OpenGL at all for Vista and later. Which means I can not use a modded Vista/7 driver and use these files or have this performance, unless I can somehow trick a Vista/7 package into loading XP dll properly, and also means I can not use FLEM directly to make my driver. However what I can do, is use FLEM to mod a Vista/7 driver with a Vista/7 legacy base, and by studying the resulting package's inf file and etc, attempt to do the same thing it does, but using XP legacy base and XP modern drivers, which for XP means the 9.3 I am already using or the XP 10.2 for a base and the XP 14.4 for a modding target.

I actually right now have the XP 10.2 legacy installed, having first tried it by writing my card into its inf and copying the 9.3 OpenGL into it, and that turned out great, and then as an experiment I gave it back its own OpenGL files, and it seems to be performing just as fast as the 9.3 was for OpenGL, and the DirectX performance is as good as I get when I actually use Vista/7 drivers, at least as far as I can tell with just normal use, I haven't benchmarked it yet. So even if the experiment with the XP 14.4 doesn't prove fruitful I'm still a happy camper, as far as Windows 7 goes.

I haven't messed with Windows 10 yet, it can wait till I'm done with this meddling about with 7 lol. :) I pretty much loathe its interface anyway, I just have it on here because I like doing things some people think are impossible, and because, like that guy said when he was asked why he climbed the mountain, and he said, "Because it was there."

18. routergray

routergray Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon X300
    So, a little more I've found in messing with this. Apparently it is not the OpenGL libraries at fault, concerning speed, it is the windows Vista/7 drivers themselves. because the 10.2 legacy comes in both flavors, XP , and Vista/7, and it -will- in fact load the XP library with the Vista/7 driver, and it's just as slow, whereas the XP driver will also load the Vista/7 package's library, and it's just as fast as with its own.

Also, I had a go at manual modding a handful of the XP drivers. The 14.4 loads fine, but my specific application I need it for will not run on it, and it bluescreens at windows shutdown. I tried a few of the 13.x ones, 13.4 first then a few of the others, and like 14.4 they all load fine, and also no bluescreen etc, but neither will my app run on them either. The 12.8 bluescreens at starting Windows, and I haven't gotten as far as trying other 12.x yet.

I suspect the 13.x are actually modding successfully, my app just isn't getting along with it. I'll revisit that in a bit and try some other OpenGL stuff on those just for curiosity's sake. But for the time being, looks like I'm pretty much stuck in 10.2 land lol.

19. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Way to go !!! :) Keep it up, which app is that that you are running?

In case you run into a brick wall and can't go further than the 10.2s then use the method below, for this, find and download the rare but gold 9.11 legacy driver for Vista, it was the last 9x package with OpenGL still working.
    I use 10 files for this mod from 9.11 legacy(it has to be the legacy version) to MOD the 15.11Beta driver and my results with OpenGL 1.1 -2.1 are over 70fps(@1920x1080) in all OpenGL Extensions viewer tests. Our cards are not that much different so it might be a good mod for you.....only oneway to find out :)
    I tested on 64bit hopefully the 32bit version is not broken.

Here are the results
    https://ctrlv.cz/en/dasF

• In the cocktailmaker use the basic 4 files + both openGL files atioglxx.dl and atioglx.xml.
    • Cleanout all the drivers you have installed with DDU.
    • Test that badboy out !!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  20. DeMonsRO

DeMonsRO Member

GPU:
    2 gb
    AmiloMan, no fix for us?

Regards,
    just me..