Please help! Gigabyte z77 Windows 8 installs but freezes, Windows 10 fails completel

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by GODzillaSDM, Nov 12, 2015.

1. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Please help! Gigabyte z77 Windows 8 installs but freezes, Windows 10 fails completely

I have a pc that I am converting to an HTPC. I want to get it to windows 10, so I was planning to install 8 on it first and then do the free upgrade to 10. After installing 8, within a couple minutes the system will start freezing and eventually BSOD. I have tried installing it with both UEFI and Legacy, but both leads to the same problem.

I then updated my bios to the last official release, and when that didn't work I updated to the latest beta release. That still did not help with the issue.

So then I read that I can just directly install Windows 10 and after its done, activate it with a Windows 8 key. So I tried that, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to install completely, or maybe it did, but when loading, I just get a dead black screen. At one point, after installing Windows 10, my bios became corrupted. I pulled out the battery, and since i have dualbios, it loaded from the backup. I read that Windows 10 can attempt to update bios so I tried it again without plugging in to the internet. It still fails but at least it didn't corrupt my bios the 2nd time.

After trying for 2 days with multiple installs, I am running out of ideas. I then installed Windows 7 on it, and everything is fine. I don't have a W7 key, so its on trial right and I need to get 8 or 10 on it, because thats the license I have sitting around.

Any tips on installing Windows 8 or 10 Pro 64 bit would be greatly appreciated!

HTPC:
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H rev 1.0 motherboard
    Intel i7 2700k
    Crucial M4 256GB
    (using onboard video) I'm going to try to install again with a dedicated GPU, to see if that helps. (maybe its a video driver issue?)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    i think your cpu has a problem or its heating up

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows 10 didn't corrupt your BIOS

Hardware failure sounds more likely, check RAM, and the board itself

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I have the same board and I had the corrupted BIOS issue.
    The reason was that the motherboard battery was at 1.2 volts.
    Changed it and all fine is fine.

But, I don't have the others issues you mention.
    Windows 7 AND 10 works just fine. UEFI mode.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    strange that somebody else had their bios go corrupt the same week my did.

I was testing sata drivers, and 3 bsod and my bios got corrupt.

this is actually the 2nd z77 board, I have that has this corrupting problem after having so many bsod.

but then I also have a p67 board that the bios resets when hitting the reset switch on the case.

also instructions for restore corrupted bios is stupid.

I could only get my 2 bios to post and then gave me message saying to remove fixture or switch fixture to start bios recovery.

took me two times to figure out what the hell it meant. that I had to switch the bios switch to the first bios while the computer was running and hit enter to restore the bios.

why would they call the bios switch a fixture??:3eyes:

sorry my reply wasnt helpful. just thought I'd share my story.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I read that Windows 10 can in fact corrupt your bios because it will attempt to update it automatically. But it turns out that it was my psu crapping out and giving me issues when there is some power load required. It is also possible that windows 10 was updating my bios and psu shutting down in the middle of it. I got a new psu and i can install with no issues now. Thanks guys.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    well technically windows 10 does have access to uefi bios.

thats how it can tell the system to reboot into the bios.

but Im also only seeing corruption happening on boards that has flaky bios firmware to start with.

so it could seem like windows 10 is causing it.

but fact is that the problem was already there and windows 10 made it more apparent.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015