atikmdag.sys BSOD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Vinnie, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Hi all,

Once in a few months time my PC freezes while gaming. The only thing I can do is reset my PC using the reset button. My PC then gives me a BSOD when starting up, I don't even get into Windows. The BSOD says something with 'atikmdag.sys'. The only thing that seems to repair this is reinstalling my whole PC, which is of course a lot of work.

Fixes like this one don't seem to do the thing for me: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363233

I also tried booting in safe mode (which works), and then run DDU (the latest version). This also does not seem to fix it.

This has happened a few times already, once every half year or so.. I had this problem with Windows 8.1 and now with Windows 10.

Are there any guru's that can help me find a way to fix this BSOD without reinstalling my whole Windows?

2. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    it's going to take months to figure out if anything fixes it.... troubleshooting it could take decades. Need to find a way to reproduce it faster, and without the corruption that seems to be happening when it does. I think maybe totally disabling windows write cache, and doing a disk image with something like macrium reflect, they have a free version, could save you a lot of headaches at least while you are trying to figure all this out.

After doing all that... maybe start with downclocking the gpu core and ram a slight amount would be my first thing to try. Just feels that way to me.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Thx for the reply. My GPU clocks are standard. Should I really need to downclock them?

4. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Ha, no you wouldn't think so. I downed memory on mine, about 20mhz, in the card's bios. Too many strange things going on at one time and i wanted to rule it out. Since i lost no fps, i just left it like that since. Rather be safe. I don't trust video card components at all, seen too many just burn out out of nowhere and do things that make absolutely no sense.

EDIT: also being on crossfire? A whole nother thing... have you disabled ULPS? Test 1 card at a time etc. One could be just slightly off.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I formatted and reinstalled Windows 10. So the dump file is not available for me anymore. :) But thx anyways!

6. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I'll have to check this out when I get home. How do I enable or disable this? In the BIOS, or in Windows?

EDIT - I can see on the internet that I need to edit my registry for this? Is there any way to disable this in the Windows UI or AMD driver or something?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No option in the UI but you could either edit the registry manually or use software to do it for you like http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403389
    Find EnableUlps and right click, set new value -> 0. Either restart the driver or reboot for changes to take effect.

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    And this maybe can fix this issue I am having? If I am right, ULPS is only enabled when I am not gaming. This issue occurs only while I am gaming.

9. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Might as well disable it, it's kind of redundant and has been known to cause issues. It's a bit of an extreme measure to save power, especially for a desktop, as the cards will save plenty from their own power states. Sure in a world of perfect drivers it shouldn't make a difference but.... lol AMD.

Just use oneofgod's tool, its make it a lot easier and has many more tweaks in it in case you want to try something. I found it handy to keep around.

10. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire

11. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Thx for the tip! Going to try that.

12. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Another thing... re-seat all ram, GPU cards, and and sata connections-->both ends.

I've had RARE times where, even though those things were seated perfectly, this did the trick. Just another base to cover.

13. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
  14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Could this be an IRQ issue? Is your NIC sharing it's IRQ with your GPU? It can happen, especially if the NIC is using a PCI-e lane (I've seen it happen before, but usually occurs with other expansion cards such as sound cards).