Whats the Fastest Internet (Chicago area )

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by nz3777, Nov 10, 2015.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    So I am turning to you guys on account of I dont know any other companys other then Comcast or Xfinity, Is there anything else out there I can get that will be faster and better? I am debating on getting the Comcast service But I did have some problems with them in the past-They like to charge for things you didnt order, the bill is always over for some reason, they are just SHADY in general so if possible id like to avoid that.

$45 Monthly up to 10gbs/ is what they have advertised.

2. n9nu

n9nu Member

GPU:
    NV GeForce RTX 4090
    Hi

Where exactly are you (downtown, west suburbs, etc)? I live 60 miles west of Chicago out in Sandwich. What bandwidth/throughput are you looking for? 20Mbit (RX), 50, 100 or more and do you need anymore than the 'usual' bandwidth for uploads (TX)...abt 7-10Mbit

I have FTTH with a capacity of 1GBit/sec, however, I personally am allocated 50Mbit (RX & TX) at no cost as I let them use my ham radio tower as an access point for others to access wirelessly. If you live out west (Aurora +), then I can give you some good recommendations. Comcast/Xfinity...bah! I as well have had 'issues' with them. I think their still at the top of the list as far as customer satisfaction (as in very poor).

I'm assuming your looking for a quality connection with low latency for gaming purposes. Gee you could always get Hughes Net Gen 4 satellite Inet..LOL. You will be the talk of the town baby! ;)

Tim

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Hi there Tim thanks for the reply man,

I live in Willowbrook Ill, kinda close to Darien, which is also close to Burr-Ridge. To be honest I am just looking for something that is Fast and Cheep, Comcast has Ripped me off on more then one occasion so If possible I would like to avoid them lol. I did check into Google Fiber but.... They do not offer service in Chicago at this time nor do they plan to. As of now I have no choice its either Comcast Or I stick to my cheep Virgin mobile 3/4 G mobile internet stick which is costing me $35 a month for speeds I am ashamed to even mention lol. Comcast would cost me an xtra $10 bucks a month if i went with them. Whats Hughes net gen 4? I have never heard of such a thing.
    Here is my main problem..... I just got done building my kid her own pc and I cannot share the internet connection between her pc and mine, its retarded and I need something faster and better obviously.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Some routers allow you to share your 3G/4G connection.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Op...You gotta pay comcast if you ever want to be satisfied!...Sad but True.