RAM Memory configuration.....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ScaryClown, Nov 7, 2015.

1. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Hi all!

Im thinking about upgrading my RAM seeing that newer titles become memory hoggs and reguire lots of ram (case n point new COD).
    My rig has 8 gigs (4x2Gb) of Kingstone Hyper X DDR3 1600mhz and it works fine. My mobo can handle up to 32 gigs.
    I was thinking about upgrading to larger ddr3 memory and keeping some of the old sticks( ddr4 and new cpu/mobo combo are out of the question for now)

So, since i have 4x2Gb in all slots i was thinking replacing 2 2gb ram sticks with 2x8 gb sticks in confiruration 2+8+2+8 gb in dual channel, of course.

Memory i aim to buy is :
    Kingston DIMM DDR3 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury White CL10

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-1600MHz-DDR3/dp/B00J8E8ZMY

So, is it a good idea to mix 2gb and 8gb ram sticks, them being Kingstone?
    Is 20 Gb overkill?

I would really like to keep some of my older ram sticks .....

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    if the speed and timings are the same then yes 20Gb is better than 8

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Why do people get this wrong. Dual channel means that pairs of memory sticks operate as one. And most motherboards often have 4 slots which means two separate channels, channel A and channel B, each with their own pair. (They don't actually operate as one but for all intents and purposes it's easier to describe it as such).

So in this case, ensure the 8GB sticks are in channel A and the 2GB sticks in channel B. The channels are often denoted by colour.

If you had an 8GB stick and a 2GB stick in channel A, then the faster ram stick will clock down and operate at the same speed as the slower stick.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    There is no slower stick^...all timings/speed are the same!

5. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Yes, ram sticks have the same speed and timmings. In one channel (A) two 8 gig sticks would be and in the other (B) two 2 gig stick would remain.
    So, there wont be any problems?
    Is 20 gigs too much?
    I just play games, nothing else much.....

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You missed the point, I was explaining if the 2GB sticks were different, it would be fine as long as they're in their own channel.

You can never have too much ram. But yeah, just make sure that matching ram is paired in their own channel.

7. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    I could be wrong on this, but for max speed across the entire ram wouldn't you want to have the sticks staggered - meaning each channel gets 2+8 rather than 2+2 and 8+8?

If my understanding on how dual-channel ram gets used is correct, then in the 2+2 / 8+8 setup you would only see top speed across the first 8 gigs. So at a physical level 4 gigs can be accessed in parallel to 16 gigs, so the top speed would only be achieved while the 4G set is reading in parallel to the first 4 gigs of the 16G set.

Again, maybe I'm off on this - but ideally the channels should have the same capacity so that there isn't "extra" ram in one of the channels that cant be interleaved with ram in the other channel.

If I'm way off here someone please correct me on this, but I think I remember looking into this and it does have an impact on performance.

8. motoman26

motoman26 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4070 ti
    That is correct Hazmat, he would be better off buying a new 16gb kit for full speed.

PS. Hazmat as in MCM?

9. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Channels

A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B
    A B A B

| | | |
    v v v v

8 2 8 2 gb = 8+8 2+2 = dual channel enabled
    8 8 2 2 gb = 8+2 8+2 = dual channel disabled

As far as i know it is supposed to work like this....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes seems legit to me.