RIP AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers - Say Hello to AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Except that Nvidia doesn't have DirectX triple buffering either.

It would be great if they would improve their vsync settings and copy Nvidia's antialiasing settings (enhance aa option and unlinked TrSSAA). There are games where forcing AA is not an option and their ingame settings are limited to 4xMSAA for example. With Nvidia you can enhance that 4xMSAA to any level you want (even lower it).

2. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Looks bloody awful. Social Media Integration? Other unneeded junk? What about a lightweight program that just allows me to change advanced settings quickly and easily and one that isn't designed like it was meant to run on a mobile phone.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't get it.

The social media integration at most takes up like 5 megs and the entire point of the redesign is that it runs quickly and is more intuitive, they literally state that in article.

Also, this whole idea of UI elements having to be small for mouse users or else it's considered "mobile" reminds me of old people complaints -- old people that are completely unable or unwilling to change because it inconveniences them. News flash, the vast majority of OEM's are moving towards mobile/tablet/smaller/touch form factors. They are also moving towards higher res screens where DPI scaling on Windows completely breaks down. Go try using the Nvidia settings menu on Surface Book dGPU version, it's like threading a needle with a constant stream of mace spraying into your eyes.

The interface looks fine, it's completely usable across a multitude of devices and it's designed to be more intuitive and significantly faster. All wins in my book.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    FYI

Check with msconfig under the startup tab. Task Manager can be used as well under the startup tab. There should be an entry for it to launch on startup. That entry may have been disabled or even prevented from being created upon installation. The default is for it to launch upon startup. Has been like that since XP.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What's the alternative. Like every change? That's strange.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah nvidia needs to go through the same thing.

like other says, it lags sometimes. profile page is a disaster.

and the stupid clicking on settings and waiting for it to stop disk scanning is annoying.

there is no need for the disk scanning. I know it scanning the game profiles, but why need to do it everytime.

but yeah.

nvidia can move the settings to geforce experience.

I know some people wont like it because of the added services.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The entry is there and it is enabled. It still does not show in the tray after a boot.

UPDATE: The startup entry was showing in CCleaner as being enabled but when I checked in Task Manager it said it was disabled. I enabled it there and then went into Win 10 notification settings to make sure it was set to show. It does show up now but, the delay has now been transferred to the bootup procedure. The icon does not show up until at least 30 seconds after everything else is loaded and showing. It's more on the order of 40-45 usually. Right clicking on the shortcut for CCC in the right click desktop menu opens CCC in 3-5 seconds. Right clicking on the tray icon and then clicking on the CCC shortcut does not work at all until you do it a second time.

Now a question I have wondered about. Does CCC need to be loaded at startup in order for your custom profiles for games to work? I have read sites that say yes it does and other sites that say no.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No the alternative is to analyze the change and weigh the pro's and cons from an actual design perspective. Just because UI objects are big and seem "mobile" doesn't mean that they are bad, or suck with the mouse and keyboard.

Windows 8 for example, people **** all over it because of the tiles -- and yet that one change, while a minor inconvenience for some, allowed Windows to be effectively usable on a tablet. The net gain from the tiles was a huge positive. And honestly I found them to be better on M&K anyway which Microsoft effectively proved they were, using not only Fitts Law but telemetry data from actual users.

So yeah, if you have an actual reason as to why the new Crimson thing is worse, I'd love to hear it. But just saying "It's bad for mouse and keyboard" doesn't mean anything.

9. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    ^It does look pretty awful (IMO of course, don't get upset) and it does look like it's designed either for a smartphone or a tablet/touch screen, both of which should be irrelevant. I have a desktop PC.

Nobody has said it's bad for mouse and keyboard.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Released 24th November.

See Wccf.