Adverts on G3D - Do we need a solution?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Truder, Oct 29, 2015.

?

Are ads acceptable?

1. Current system is fine, I don't mind the ads

38 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. I adblock

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. I have technical problems with ads

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. I think there should be more ads

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. I think there should be fewer ads

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. I'd rather have a subscription to remove ads

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. Donation system is fine

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Donation system needs overhauling

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  9. Other - please specify

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Personally I don't get what all the fuss is about with ads honestly (voted current system fine).
    Yes they're annoying and intrusive but that's Internet isn't it.

Like all your parents must've taught you: look both ways before you cross, never click on ads...

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Most ads are OK to click. Like Corsair, MSI, other famous gaming brand or shopping sites you visit recently, amazon, newegg, etc...
    Site gets much more profit if user clicks on ads and not just views it.

Edit: If you have suspicious ads on this site, you probably got malware.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I prefer to support the companies I like by buying their products. They probably get the most profit that way ;)

4. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I agree, and i have no problem with the ads now also.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I talk about ad profit for Guru3D, not companies that advertising their products.
    By clicking ad, Guru3D should receive bigger ad reward than only viewing.

6. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    1.- Expand Guru3d to more multimedia and socialmedia approach. (Youtube Videos, Podcasts Etc)

2.- Maintain Style of Reviewing (wich is essential to keep old readers hooked)

3.- Create Patreon Account for Monthly OPTIONAL payment ( leave pride aside, since is not donations, is more of a loyalty OPTIONAL memberships, the fans of guru3d that can AFFORD to pay can contribute, fans that cant wont miss a thing)

4.- Promote an aggressive campaign for this new guru3d approach.

5.- Make new income revenue from YT videos.

6.- Make it happen before Guru3d becomes irrelevant.

Current Ad System is Flawed Because:
    A: You need to remind every new reader and old, to disable their ADB or make a headnews article every so often. (Does not make a good impression)

B: Other Don't like the performance of the website with ads (reason why patreon for them would be a great option if wiling to contribute).

Examples of why Patreon Works
    https://www.patreon.com/jimquisition?ty=h
    https://www.patreon.com/kindafunny?ty=h
    https://www.patreon.com/VideoGamer?ty=h

7. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    100%.

8. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Guest

GPU:
    :
    I don't mind the ads in the forums (would even accept a few more), but the frontpage is just too heavy with ads enabled. It is reminiscent of Times Square with the full height ads and animated promos distracting attention away from the content. The full height ads at each side are usually partially obscured and the ad at the top of colright also pushes a lot of the links below the fold. In the past I have used it as a benchmark for internet connection perfomance, it's like 3DMark for ads.
    I would be happy to have all of Guru3D whitelisted if banner ads appeared, for example, between every fourth or fifth article/post. It may be that reducing the space given to ads would actually increase revenue as more readers would feel that whitelisting Guru3D is a tolerable solution.

9. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    You can use adblock to disable ads on the front page but leave them active in the forum. That is what I do.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ah, misunderstood your point.

You sure it works like that? I'm a bit skeptical...

Not questioning your opinion, just curious what it's based on.

11. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    A subscription service is not the way to go , when you can access pretty much the same content without paying for it ,and the fact of the matter is ,, people who say they will pay but when it comes to the crunch many wont .

Keep the ads , keep a free Guru3D , keep you viewers , the minute that's changes we will lose our beloved website and community for sure .

However i am a big fan of youtube reviews and also a subscriber to Guru3D youtube channel,
    I would be very happy to see more content making its way to the youtube channel and seeing more off the behind the scenes at Guru3D. Youtube can be a great source of much needed income and fame .

I wish you good luck for the future Guru3D and it would leave many people sad if you weren't here anymore.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Ads are not a problem so long as long as there computer related but when the page is full of useless garbage then its different, that said ive never clicked on an ad let alone seen one i found useful

13. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    Yea, Agreed. Like the date site luring ad I just saw. Seriously?

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Truth be told, I cannot believe people have this much of an issue with ads. Personally I just do not get it. I am not saying anyone is wrong for not wanting to see ads because let's be real, who does? But when it is a means for revenue and pretty much the main source for revenue for a company, I do not understand why people could be selfish and block those.

Ads can be very annoying. Everyone knows this, no getting around that. Are the ads on this site really that intrusive? The worst I've had is some words being highlighted, and when my cursor goes over the word an ad comes up from it. I just click the "x" button and go on my way.

I support this site, I have for years, and I will continue supporting this site and community by reading the articles, engaging in the community, and leaving ads enabled on this site. If it were an option to donate, I sure as hell would too.

It's not completely the same, but it is on the same lines as a public system that is reliant on public community involvement. I get that working for a public system, so when it comes to ads to generate revenue I stand behind that no questions asked.

So to me there is no other options. Ads and donate, personally if you want to block ads on this site then you are not supporting the community. Why be here if you are not going to support the community and Hilbert? The man works his ass off supplying content for people to read here, and useful information as well.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Ads are usually geared towards your viewing habits.

Like the car ad on my screen right now. I was looking at new cars and guess what? A Nissan ad showed up on the forum. I have yet to see any ad on Guru3d that was completely ridiculous.

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yup. I constantly see ADs with GTX980 TIs in it, tempting me to go and buy one already :p

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or two.

Or three.

Maybe four.

Why not five?! :D

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    fixed

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I hate and love you at the same time right now.