The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Really now. Explain to us how ad blocking software that prevents views, results in the website being paid for ad views that are blocked? You're apparently an expert, right?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I still see comments on here about people complaining about the ads slowing down the browser etc, and that's reasonable hardware. I have seen extremely few websites in the last few years where the adverts make any scrap of difference in performance. Geez I can browse the site fine on my Lumia 635 fine, fast, smooth, ads and all, and always have been able to. That is by no means a high end phone. Even with buggy Windows 10 mobile builds previously the phone always handled Guru3D and the forums without issue. For those having issues I would strongly recommend looking in to why you are having issues, their could be a security issue someone on your computer, network, or with the dns provider.

Maybe all your computer are just pieces of junk and I have the golden system right? Hey, yours can't even handle simple ads that a mid-low end phone can handle, shows you how good your computer really is :D. Now they could add a $20 donation thing to go ad free for a year, seeing as people log in to view the forum, but I guess that there are probably a significant number more casual users of the site (even those that frequent it) that are not forum members, and yet they still block the ads. Probably the same people who will whinge if any cutbacks need to be made.

So I'd like to finish off by saying, and I make no apologies for this:

Anyone having issues with bad adverts and the like on this, or any other reputable site, it is highly likely that there is a security breach. This could be on your system, network, router, or maybe even a bad DNS provider. It would be a much wiser idea to resolve the issue rather that simply hiding it with an ad blocker.

Hey, people may disagree with that, but you have to remember that many ads are tailored to you based on your browsing habits, which may say something about the user rather than the websites hosting the ads.

3. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Google ads, frankly is ****, relying on that as your main source of income is ultimately the reason your revenue is suffering. I'm a big fan of Guru3D hence why I'm replying with my 2 cents to try and help, but I'm not going to blow smoke up your arse like all the other comments and say yeah i'll whitelist you now and click the ads etc ec as that's the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a severed limb... it'll get you a few more hits in the short term but the masses don't care and ultimately they'll still use adblock regardless...

Basically you're pissing in the wind complaining about it, if you want a change then you as a site owner will have to change as the masses wont. Sorry if this sounds harsh but that's the way it is...

If you want advertising revenue that gets though ad blocking software then you will have to book the ads directly from the supplier, speak to the marketing departments of the various pc component suppliers directly and host the ads directly from your server in a way that ad blocking software will not block. also maybe look into sponsorship?

Subscription is another alternative, but lets be honest, only a small percentage of your regulars will actually donate when it comes to the crunch - regardless of what they're saying now...

How do I know this, I've worked in marketing for the last 12 years... I used to advertise our brands via google ads but not anymore.... now all the online ads I book are direct with the website owners as that guarantees my ads are getting to the correct target demographic and less likely to get blocked.

Google ads is easy, but as a site owner if you want to better revenue you'll have to put the work in and do it directly...

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Regardless of what you seem to think it does make a difference. How do I know? If it didn't, Hilbert wouldn't have needed to post the article and you, me and everyone else wouldn't be having any associated discussion.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Anyone that believes ads can't contain malware, is delusional. It's a rather common way of delivering malware these days because of all the sites running ads and the ability (set by default) of browsers to download files without the user having any knowledge.

The site can only get paid, it the "hit" can be counted. If you're blocking trackers, you don't get counted as a "hit". Some "ad blockers" will prevent the ads from showing, but will allow the trackers so the site still gets paid. Other "ad blockers" such as Adblock Pro and Adblock Plus will block both the ads and the associated trackers. For those of us using Adblock, the site is in fact losing money.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well here is a intresting little snippet of info, since moving to tablet and phone for 99% of all my surfing, ads have not really bothered my for some reason, yet on my desktop they drove me mental, especially the ones with audio or the pop out, pop down or pop from the sides ones.
    I don't know if its because the tablet makes you more relaxed when you surf from the couch, toilet or bed as I am doing now, or maybe the ads just don't seem as intrusive on a 8in tablet as they do on a 28in monitor.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Apparently you're having a reading issue. I'm pointing out it DOES make difference via my question to the poster who said it didn't. Thanks.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i agree, when browsing from my phone I don't even know there are ads unless I look for them, or if they are the kind of ad that sticks to the top or bottom of the display wherever you go, that gets VERY annoying, maybe ads become worst as the screen size increases?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not all ad blockers impact a site's revenue. Some of the "ad blockers" simply redirect the ads and trackers so the site owners still get paid. With at least some of the ads, if you block the trackers the site doesn't get paid. Ads served by Google rely on Google Analytics. If you block Google Analytics, it doesn't matter if their ads get displayed, the site still doesn't get paid because Google doesn't count the "hit".

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I am aware of that and that doesn't change my post or the reasoning behind my question. You are aware adblock is very popular right?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I am aware of how popular Adblock is and why. I use it myself. I use it because I don't want to see ads and I don't want to be tracked. I'm tired of my privacy being invaded and being that I use my computer for paying bills, security is a major issue.

12. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    I love this site, disabled ad blocker for Guru

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The tracking isn't done by the adverts, it's done though the use of cookies. The ad providers use this information to tailor the ads. There's also location checking etc. You could block the cookies but many websites simply won't work without them. Any site you visit can know your IP address, no real way to hide that, it needs to know where to send the data. You could use a VPN, but then safety for banking etc is put at risk.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The ideal ad blocker would be one that blocks malicious ads but lets the clean ads through, not just blocks every ad.

15. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    REALLY?

ANYONE who experiences even the slightest slowdown or observes unwanted behavior by adverts and their trackers has a personally isolated problem? And you claim an adblocker is what keeps such users otherwise unaware or oblivious[hiding] to their self-inflicted affliction?

The condition of "highly likely" I'm sure we can all agree is notwithstanding.

This needs some rewording or you really just don't understand what you're saying.

Thank god.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Comodo has tried doing this with what they call PrivDog but with mixed results. There is also an Android app called AdBlock (different from AdBlock Plus and from a different source) that has started trying to do this. It's becoming more recognized that Ad Blockers that block everything are causing serious harm to the Internet.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  17. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I use IE 11 as my browser and I had never seen any ads on this site. That is due to the fact that I use the tracking protection list called EasyList which is based on the lists supplied by adblock plus. I saw that this list was blocking only 5 services on this site so I turned off the tracking protection for this site only. For the first time I see a banner ad (which is for a local guy running for the position of Town Supervisor) and a few small ads in between replies in the threads. I don't find these annoying at all so I will leave the tracking blocker turned off on this site. I know one of the things that gets blocked is Google Analytics.

I certainly do own and watch TV's. Sometimes the commercials are more entertaining than the show they briefly interrupt. I recognize showing advertising as being necessary for many things to survive. Without the ads, we would be paying much more for a myriad of things and also would not have as many products available to buy. Have I ever clicked on an ad on a website? Yes, I have occasionally, and I fairly often use the text ads in Google search results. I have learned a lot about my purchasing choices by doing so and have saved money more than a few times. I'm not very annoyed by advertising in general and, as I said, sometimes find it useful as well as entertaining.

I have also experienced ad blockers slowing down loading of some web pages that actually load faster if the ads are allowed. I've never seen that happen in IE with a tracking protection list in place which is one of the reasons why IE is my browser of choice.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ...nm

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    [​IMG]

They spend million$ upon million$ to get those ads right up in your face. You don't think they factor that in to the cost of every product they sell? You pay for ads every time you buy something from a company that has any. Pretty much everything except yard sales...then again, there's all those paper signs stuck to telephone polls. Some go friggn crazy and even stick signs up on wooden poles at street corners! :wanker:

20. Italia1

Italia1 Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 290x 4 GB
    I've whitelisted only 2 site: Bitandchips (i don't see difference between on and off in that site !) and now this, but banner aren't so much. First time i see a banner over an article, i'll switch on ABP. In this moment i've got italian banner about assurance (i've mine, don't change), led strips (really ?? really !!) and "webmonitor" (don't need).

PS Antisnipe, i've take your gif, is too beatufu l

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.