AMD Working On A New Catalyst Omega-like Driver Release For November

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rich_Guy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    But this is only one example that indeed was AMD's fault, they acknowledged it and fixed it in a few days. This can just happen sometimes, and is not the situation people here are talking about I think.

I think what people mean with blaming AMD for everything without it being AMD's fault are those people that are like "oh the blue screen bug is still not fixed, better go back to 12.5 drivers. *capsrage about AMD not fixing a "known generic crash bug that has been there for years*" "But what kind of PSU do you have?" "A 20 year old 100Watt from my grandpa. What does that have to do with anything?".

In this example, newer drivers improve the utilization of your GPU, which removes a GPU bottleneck, so that the CPU load can increase, and a little bit more powerdraw from the PSU by the CPU and BAM, there you have a problem that is not GPU (AMD GPU) related but AMD gets the blame anyway.

However, this kind of blaming would happen just as much on the green side right?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    That bug had nothing to do with games. It was browser eating all vram if you resized it. Was fixed fast. Just because there's a problem, doesn't mean everyone sees it, so I quess you never resized browsers awith 15.9 drivers.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    At least the guilty one will be clear in DX12.

In the new DX12 gaming era AMD could put all the blame on game developers as they'll be the only part to have control over all the multi-gpu game support.

Good for AMD PR not so much for CFX gamers.

I don't think this will improve the usually "not optimal" CFX support we get now in DX11 by AMD/game developers combo.

If optimal CFX support is not a priority right now for AMD/game developers COMBO in DX11 games, i don't see that will be a more important matter for game developers ALONE in the future DX12 games.

:bang:

4. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    I had issues on Waterfox with it but only while watching Twitch/Youtube if I never opened twitch or youtube my browser was fine.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's a typical POS article from Wccftech. They are using old slides for supposed "news". They either say nothing new, or say whatever AMD PR feeds them.

I don't know about the rest, but this one sounds like a joke.

That's one worry. On the other hand in the only "title" we have it seems like AMD not only has better scaling, but in mixed GPU scenarios the AMD GPU should be put first. Apparently their driver is really good at distributing workload.

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I read you, cheers.

7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Yes because the last storm here was due to "imaginary" reasons. .. not driver related at all...

I have still 3 major device gimping bugs for mobility systems on leshcatlabs.net which AMD still hasn't fixed.

These bugs affect the operation of cards for whole ranges.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Is this some Steam forum bro knowledge?

AMD GPU has a lot of flaws but the raw GPU power is not one of them.

(S)He seems to don't know how to enable CFX and/or (s)he only play single GPU supported games.

If this individual has only ONE 980Ti and ONE 390X he will not be able to compare the performance of a single 980Ti vs TWO 290X(390X) in crossfire.

Obviously a single 980Ti performs better than TWO 290X(390X) CFX'ed in games like DS1 or Pillars of Eternity who lacks multi-GPU support because there is only a single 290X(390X) working.

No need to compare or have access to a 295X2 GPU: the same principle applies.

:D

9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I hope there is still some gas left in the tank of my 7950!

"All 300 series cards" should cover it, seeing the 380, is a 280, which is a 7950 :D

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    R9 380 have nothing to do with R9 280/7950. Its a Tonga Pro GPU and GCN 1.2 compered to R9 280 Tahiti Pro GCN 1.0.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It needs a dissertation to see what various people mean by "smoothness". If we're talking about frame judder, I guess that a 980Ti vs two 290x's in Crossfire without Vsync enforced, is going to feel "smoother". I can't see it happening frame rate wise though, unless the game doesn't support Crossfire.
    Most likely it's just bull.

To be fair to the 7950, it has a 384bit bus and more memory than that Tonga GPU, so in memory-intensive operations that can't take a lot of compression, it should be faster. GCN 1.0 is still going strong with the 370. I find it funny that the isn't a single GCN 1.2 product to cover the 7970GHz performance range. I don't know why AMD hasn't release a full Tonga card yet. I guess they feel it might canibalize their 390 sales.

13. thesmokingman

thesmokingman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6950

It's a somewhat easy fix. Use AB's ability to list out whatever is calling for acceleration. Then use RTSS to create a profile to disable that app. I've written a guide on this if you need, but that should be enough to figure it out.

14. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    people damning AMD for beta drivers that had a bug and was quickly hotfixed :3eyes:

I wonder if any of you realize that both GPU companies have issues with their driver time to time, it's usually with a beta driver, and is fixed quickly

the notion that AMD drivers are sooooo much worse than Nvidia drivers is laughable, fueled by F.U.D. marketing tactics, and weird stories about how someone had a AMD video card, replaced it with an Nvidia and their problems melted away

That could have been the case, but maybe the videocard was damaged/defective? Maybe a weak PSU was under more load with the AMD? Maybe the OS / drivers were messed up and a fresh install of windows could have fixed it? it's hard to say, but hey - let's blame AMD! its cool and in right now.

I work as a computer technician, and i've seen a lot of computer issues, most of them are caused by the user.

The AMD vs Nvidia is a lot like the PC vs Mac, fueled by lies, misinformation and a sense of brand loyalty.

I'm not a fanyboy of Intel, AMD or Nvidia, I buy what is the best for my dollar

I loved my A64 2500+, A64x2 3400+ , nvidia geforce 2mx, 660m, 8800gtx etc
    but lately i've stuck to Intel CPU's and AMD video cards :banana:

15. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    lol. 380 is not a 280 it's a 285 to be exact that's for now slower than a 280.

16. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Looks like I am mistaken, should know my GPU's a bit more!