How to tweak GPU fan settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by millibyte, Oct 19, 2015.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    So I noticed my upper GPU (Sapphire 7970 Ghz vapor-x) ramping up in temperatures lately (up to 70C) whereas it never used to go above 65C. Then I noticed that the second fan wasn't spinning so I thought the fan was dead (2 months after warranty expired :bang:) I was about to place an order for some replacement fans and TIM, but then I decided to do some more testing. Turns out that after the temp reaches 70C, the second fan does turn on and eventually temps go back down to around 61-62C. Now I have no idea how this threshold has been changed because it used to kick in at a lower temperature.

TLDR, is there a utility that can change the temperature threshold at which the second fan kicks in?

2. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012...eon_hd_7970_ghz_edition_review/9#.Vi2R1rcrK1s

Well, according to this article, your GPU is behaving normal. Fans would turn themselves off while idle and the max temps is 65 degrees.

Perhaps you can consider installing more case fans / leaving more room for your PC to breathe / do DUSTING inside out in order to lower temps by that 5 degrees.

BTW, it's amazing the upper card is only 70 degrees in Crossfire. Don't sweat it, pal.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  3. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    MSI Afterburner should give you control over the fans.