What makes games worth it?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by slick3, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I agree in a different retrospect: Atmosphere can make or break a game and atmosphere can be made or broken by graphics.

Though it does not necessarily require the latest tech, just the right engine and the right way of applying it. Thus imo a great SP game is a good balance between atmosphere, story and gameplay.

For MP games graphics take the back seat for me, as I will do anything to maintain a stead 120 fps, gameplay and fluidity will matter more here.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Vectored

Vectored Guest

GPU:
    gtx770 FTW 4Gb
    Awesome game play, no bugs, 1st person, story line, long play time.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    TW3 = The Witcher 3 ?

Game (normal priced and lower) is worth it if it makes me want to play it. It does not need to be fun (simulations when you are learning stuff), but you know that when you play enough it will at some point be rewarding. Some times this can take long.

I like graphic but it's not the reason why I play some games, not make/break for me. In some games story is important, in some it does not matter at all.

Game which makes you want to play it is a combination of many things done right.

BTW. Origin seems to have money back quarantee for some games. If you do not like it, you can get your money back if you ask it under 24h from when you bought or some longer time if you do not start the game.

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    My defintion of a FUN game:

- large open world to explore & hidden places
    - AI appears to be dynamic
    - interactive NPCs & world objects
    - cutscenes that tell an interesting story
    - New game+
    - MP coop with a story, not just waves survival

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Sadly I’ve come to expect it from a large portion of the people in this forum and the “internet” in general.

For me – it is all about fun. Don’t care about if it is AAA or indie, photo-realistic or simple but stylish. If it puts a smile on my face, then it was worth it. Thing is that you know that only after buying it and playing it.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My criteria for a good game:

1. Strong narrative and interesting characters
    2. An interesting world to explore and lose yourself in
    3. A great soundtrack and good voice-acting
    4. Fun gameplay with a good learning curve and plenty of variety such that new things are being revealed right up to the end
    5. Great art design but not necessarily graphically impressive, e.g. Tales of Zestiria has a lovely anime art style and charming characters but technically it is little more than an HD PS2 game.
    6. A single player campaign is absolutely essential.

As you can imagine that means that RPGs and sandbox style games are my preferred games. I do not have any interest in any kind of multiplayer (even the few MMORPGs I have played have been mostly solo).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    The list of AAA games still scheduled for release this year isn't short...