Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' in space

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by boodikon, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Mankind does not know any frame of reference for final speed of light. We do not know any point of reference from which we would be able to say that objects can travel in all directions at speed of light, but not faster.
    Because any atom at any relative speed to any other atom in universe is as good as any other for creating reference point. And that means there is no reference point for purpose of setting terminal speed achievable for an object.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    QFT :D

Probably a large planet being torn apart and now slowly getting pulled closer to that star. What's more important is, if we will ever know what it really was.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The train still only travels at lightspeed relative to the observer.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Exactly. Perception and reality are often two different things. Calculating the perceived speed of the train would involve adding the individuals speed to the trains speed. Just because the perception is that the train is moving faster than the speed of light does not mean it is.

That is what the two sides of the initial argument was...perception and reality.

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    If I had a space ship traveling faster than the speed of light away from Earth with a telescope lens zoomed on me all the time would it record me going back in time. ? I just have a theory.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No, I am guessing in a best case circumstance you would still be moving forward through time but would start to slow down as the observer approached lightspeed, once they reached lightspeed you would stop completely. No backwards travel though.

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    What would you like me to elaborate on? What part didn't you understand?

8. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    another place outside an earth..

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    arrive at its destination before starting
    light is wave, if you have object which emits light at constant wave length and it move towards you, density of wave will increase. If object moves away from you density of wave decreases. (that is your subjective measurement)
    Object traveling exactly at speed of light away from you will leave particles of light vibrating at that given wave length. For source of that light they would travel at light speed away. But for you, those light particles would sit there in space vibrating without changing relative position to you. And that means, you would no longer see ship, but it would not prevent ship from moving. (but ship would not be visible to that 'static' point it moves from at light speed long time before reaching speed of light, because density of light wave emitted by ship would fall under visible spectrum for anyone on that 'static' point)

Saying that argument here is one and same/similar to Flat Earth arguments is silly and insulting. Arguments here are one of: "If a tree falls in the forest with no ears to hear does it make a sound."
    People put emphasis on observer. There is no need for observer. Same way as you do not need to see into "Schrodinger's Box with Cat and poison" for event there to take place in real time.

Any argument which gives observer any kind of importance is religious. That is why my 1st post here started with mention of "Dogma".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  10. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I'm sorry but you don't really have any concept of what you are talking about. You are trying to apply Newtonian physics to special relativity.

Light speed, c, is not defined by an observer. It is the same speed for all observers no matter what the relative speed of each observer is. Light speed is absolute not relative. The speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s no matter who or what is observing it and what speed they are doing. While that may not sound logical or plausible, it happens because what we normally think of as fixed concepts, length and time, are both variable at high speeds.

It is a difficult concept to get your head around for most people because pretty much all day to day observations can be explained by Newtonian physics but that all breaks down at relativistic speeds.

11. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You said it - "relative". This thought experiment is what the law of special relativity covers and describes. It is shown to be accurate in predicting the way we observe the universe so you could consider it fact.

EDIT: Sorry, just realise that I missed page 2 of this thread and replied to a page 1 post. Maybe some kind of tear in spacetime? :)

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Well it is ....>Back to the Future Day...:)

13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If you follow the accepted convention that nothing can travel faster than light, this is not a valid question and has no answer.

If you're familiar with the phenomenon of Red Shift, you'll know what happens if you travel just under the speed of light.

Just like the sound a car passing by, light is stretched by an object moving away from you. The light will appear redder, the faster the object is moving. Another way to say this is that the frequency of light decreases. The frequency tends to zero as you approach the speed of light.

A photon (light particle) with a frequency of 0 is a theoretical concept as far as I'm aware so again you're in the realms of fantasy :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

14. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    Extremely distant objects can appear to move away from each other faster than the speed of light but that is due to expansion, not relative movement.

Galaxies and stars in the same reference frames move so slowly (compared to light speed) in comparison to each other, regardless of direction, that relativity has nothing to worry about.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You get used to those kind of posts, he thinks the moon landings were staged too.

16. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    The speed of light is 299 722 452 m/s is it just a number or if you was travelling towards a black hole would you travel faster ? Also if something exists can it be be cut in half forever ?

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Depends. The definition of sound requires a transmitter and a receiver. Without a receiver, there is no sound. So for no one, assuming meaning a person, there is no sound. So the individual is given great importance in this example.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Very quote you wrote this starts with:
    "light is wave, if you have object which emits light at constant wave length and it move towards you, density of wave will increase. If object moves away from you density of wave decreases. (that is your subjective measurement)"

It is simple explanation why our speed of light is considered as constant. Because we say that what changes is wave length. Wave length is what astronomers use to identify stars/galaxies moving towards us or away from us.
    Right question including black hole and speed of light as absolute and constant is:
    If light is moving at constant speed, how can it slow down due to black hole's gravity to point it is not able to exit that space? How can it even slow down a bit due to something as unimportant as gravity if 'speed of light' is constant?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    TK, if we could report people for stupidity. I would be reporting you so often. Moon Landing did happen. I only gave it little spin, you could not get your head around. And since then you repeat your misinterpretation.

I respect people who disagree with me. But there is special place for you as you tend to reply in way as if I wrote something completely different :) That place is usually called madhouse or psychiatric clinic.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I could report you for flaming and insults. You should stop while your ahead.