GDDR5 / GDDR5X / HBM2 - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ModestWisdom, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ModestWisdom

ModestWisdom Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970
    GDDR5/GDDR5X/HBM2 - Should I get 980 Ti...? Need advice!

Hi, I need some advice!

I've had my current system for ~3-4 years now and I am "literally starving" for an upgrade. I was thinking of getting the 980 Ti, however - with all these news coming out it is difficult to make a decision. I do understand that the graphics cards will continuously be upgraded/updated. I presume that Nvidia will not release a monster straight away so we could potentially be looking into Q3/Q4 of 2016 for some beast, right?

TL;DR - should I buy the 980 Ti now? Or wait until something better comes along? My budget is not really an obstacle.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And you needed a thread for this, with a misleading title? :3eyes:

Buy the Ti model of your choice. Something faster won't be around until big Pascal is around, which won't happen before Q2 2016, if not later. It's always more or less scheduled the same, with each year and each generation since the first Titans iirc.

Also, I'm not saying you have to, but if budget isn't an obstacle, you should get yourself a slightly better PSU if you're running an i7 and a Ti (possibly with overclocks). Not that it won't work, I won't say that, only that I wouldn't save on the PSU side.

3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    mate dont worry about stuff that has not even been announced. IF you want a gpu, buy one, if you can wait, then you might have to wait some 9 months. Its totally your call. Pretty much what fantaskarsef said.

4. ModestWisdom

ModestWisdom Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970

Hey man let me explain it to you why I have those 2 threads. The first topic is about me getting an entirely new system from scratch and talking with people about a variety of things such as OCing/finance/warranty/components and other things.

My second topic is entirely regarding the graphics card - hence it was posted in the videocards section. I can't afford a lot of time keeping up with the latest news on tech, hence I asked for advice whether it would be a good option to wait for the latest/beast graphics card. It seems like my presumptions have been confirmed - I'd have to wait at least half a year for something better than 980 Ti. One other question that I have is how much better is the new card potentially going to be than 980 Ti, what's the potential price-range, etc...

Lastly - chill out man, go outside - get some fresh air, grab yourself a drink if you're not having the best day and if possible go masturbate - it'll relieve the stress. :)

BTW, I wanted to pm this to you but I need 15 posts first.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still don't see much use in putting up two threads as you mentioned yourself, you're talking about components in both. Also, thanks for your advice. I'm having an okay day so far, been outside more than you maybe. And as I'm working I've got to postpone my drinks until later today, but have one for me if you don't work currently and can enjoy it.

Btw, if you want to go for the Ti, I personally wouldn't go for the Asus models, as they might have that restrictive digi vrm stuff in it which cripples successful use of overvolting with your overclock (limits max voltage on the 980s for instant). Haven't checked with the Ti cards, but be sure to mind that.

6. ModestWisdom

ModestWisdom Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970
    Haha yeah, you probably have! I work in-doors for pretty much the entire day. I can have a coffee just for you, but that's as far/much as you're going to get! ;)

You keep speaking of voltage but I haven't even mentioned my voltage anywhere, rest assured - I was planning on getting ~1K PSU anyway. I still haven't fully decided whether I will be getting that Ti, most likely I will be and if that's going to be the case I already know what I really want and that's Zotac AMP! Extreme. Also thanks for all the advice thus far, I appreciate it!

7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Agreed! If you are dying for an upgrade buy now, pascal is at least 9 months away. Get 980ti now with 6700k or 5820k(or higher) if funds allow and enjoy it.

If you can wait for about 12 months then dont. It depends how badly you need an upgrade

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    As others have said, go get your 980 Ti.
    Don't get GPU's because of some promised tech. All that matters in the end is how it performs, and the 980 Ti is a killer card.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    9980ti is better, oc more, has 6gb of vram, etc etc. HBM1 seems to bottleneck the fury line somewhat, bandwidth wise, 980ti has more than enough bandwidth on old school gddr5.

10. ModestWisdom

ModestWisdom Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970
    I got my answers, can a mod close the thread please.

Thanks everyone!

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You planning on upgrading that psu? I would.