Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea ive got an upgrade ready, so thats not a problem. Its windows 7 Pro. I was more worried about upgrading and then license not working on new machine.

But ill do what you said, upgrade on current to 10, create ISO, change mobo + CPU and do fresh install from that ISO.

2. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Sorry guys that was a brain fart on my part. Lets blame age and lack of sleep, yeah.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm sorry, I thought you're getting an entirely new PC. If you're upgrading your current build with new parts, then you can upgrade Windows after switching parts.

Though I had to do a fresh install to get Windows working properly after switching my mobo so... yea, might be better to fresh install from disc.
    Probably saves you some hassle. Plus you'll get to see that the upgrade activates properly before changing parts.

Ie do not attempt a fresh install before the upgrade is activated. Then download the installation ISO and burn it etc. I'd say.

4. I made the upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows Pro 64 bit and everything seemed to be going smoothly until I restarted the computer. The problem is when the computer is started or restarted, my computer mouse does not power up (no laser or button function) until I re-plugin the USB mouse. I checked during boot, the mouse is completely plugged in and laser is lite up, but as soon as I get to the login screen the laser turns off (mouse stops functioning until I unplug and plug back in the USB mouse then it functions properly). Has anyone else experienced this problem and knows of a solution? (I'm using the standard microsoft drivers for the computer mouse)

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Updates is trying to force Realtek Audio drivers on me. Despite disabling it in the bios and all audio devices other than my SBZ in device manager. MS you jerks, I dont want it.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have not had any drivers force on me since I reinstalled windows. other then initial drivers that where isntall on boot.

I have since ran DDU which did what ever it does to stop it + Gpedit.msc Admin temp >system>internet communications settings>Turn off Windows Update device driver searching=enabled.

then again i still think this is all hit or miss for some people. atlest windows update dont installed anything automatically as notify before download and install does work. "App" are only things that get automatically updated. Would be nice if those "app" updates put out AC notification when they got updated at the very lest or even better there was Notify before download and install option for "app" updates too. currently reliability history is only way to tell when app was update/installed. instead of it going there it should be going to AC notification...

Mandatory updates are fine with I just want the option to be notified before download and install for everything. i like know what is being installed on my pc before it installed, silent installs are not cool in my book.

Realtek audio drivers are dangerous imo, realtek might break what it took them 5+ years to fix, and start causing my system lockups with HW acceleration enabled in things like FF/JAVe/Flash/.net again.

New install seem to fixed the whole VCLIB 12 from being installed over and over upon ever boot.

Would also seem searching by hit startmenu and typing to start something like CMD/Powershell/gpedit.msc is STILL randomly not work. usual a reboot tends to fix it usual some times that dont even fix it. making cortana integrated into system search was horrid idea

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Check your BIOS settings for "legacy USB support" or similar and enable if disabled.
    Next you could check the power management settings and disable all USB related power saving options.
    Also clean install might resolve that failing all else.

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Check your mobo's BIOS for option: USB EHCI Hands Off (or xHCI) ...and if it's disabled switch it to Enable

If there is no such option in BIOS try to upgrade BIOS for that mobo and then check if that option is listed.

9. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try your suggestions regarding power managment. If I have to clean install, I have everything backed up so shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, I will check the USB section of my BIOS to see if USB EHCI Hands Off is enabled.

I'll report back if the mouse is staying ON at login screen and solution which fixed it.
    ---------------
    Edit:

Problem is solved! :) First, I checked to see if "Legacy USB" and "ECHI Hands Off" was enabled and they were enabled. Next, I ran the device manager as administrator and went to the "USB Hub" device properties -> power management -> unchecked "Turn off device to save power". I restarted the computer and the computer mouse stayed turned on, even at the login screen. (I never had to do that in Windows 7, but maybe something to do with upgrading over Windows 7). Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ good to know!

Win10 handles power management somehow differently I think. For example lots of people are having issues with laptops and Win10.
    I've been able to run a balanced powerplan on my desktop so far, but I've manually edited the settings and disabled all PCI-E/USB power saving options.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I never liked the idea that microsoft now handles usb drivers sense windows 8.

i like control over my drivers.

also what the hell microsoft...

windows 8.1 uses different apps designs of the same title apps then the apps in windows 10.:bang:

talk about pushing people...

I seen about 20 store that are designed differently for windows 8.1 and windows 10.

developers are going to stop supporting windows 8.1 because of this.

kinda bad when same app in windows 10 has more functions then windows 8.1

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I upgraded my work laptop again to see if problems have been resolved....now I get BSoD with "page fault in nonpaged area"... Not looking promising for "upgrading" my Lenovo G50-45 laptop....

13. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    windows 10 is garbage. I cant believe how bad it is. still so buggy. it lags. micro freezes and this is on a new skylake build. had this with prior builds as well. I went back to 8.1 smooth sailing. wtf is MS doing?

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    it might be better next year..................

15. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    Nov is when Windows 10 going to be huge since that when DX 12 launch & Xbox 1 Windows 10 OS comes out the same day as the PC update. and i'm running Windows 10 Build 10558 on my main PC. it's very stable, less buggy then 10240 & it just work unlike 10240.

I say Microsoft really working the bugs out on Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nice to know, using 10240 here. Wasn't adventurous enough to use Insider builds after the official release...

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Sounds more like something wrong with the install than with Win10 itself. I've been running it since release, and except for a TINY bug here and there, it's been perfectly stable.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Are the official builds that bad compared to the insider ones?

I have been on insider builds for the last few months, but even before that i don't remember having any issues with W10, to the point that my biggest issue with W10 is that the Netflix app doesn't auto full screen like it did on 8.1.

Anyone worked out why people seem to get vastly different experiences?

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Different hardware, different installed software etc... that's enough I think.
    People having issues are those who have an "unfortunate" combination of HW/SW I suppose.

The only general thing there seems to be is laptops seem to exhibit more issues than desktops, but even that varies greatly.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Suppose, but there seem to be more people having issues than say W8/8.1, but it's very likely there are alot more people switching to 10 than there was to 8.

My wife's laptop was fine with the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, i also had zero issues so didn't feel the need to clean install afterwards, but my brother in law had a crap load of problems.