NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    AA Stutter bug is still present in 355.98

2. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    I don't even think they gonna fix it. No one cares (almost) about high quality antialiasing nowadays, especially now, when ~90% of new games is DX11 and AA can't be forced. Such a shame. I just have a backup of 347.88 driver in case i'm gonna need it.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    what bug is this now?

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I've been told they are aware of it, and even some developers have pointed it out to them. But it must be a low priority.
    From my bug report

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Don't worry this will be fixed, but all the the more "serious" driver bugs in Windows 10 (e.g. SLI crashes and 4K/G-Sync issues) have just taken so long to fix.

6. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Does someone playing Tranformers Devastation? Would look very nice with SGSSAA. It's DX9.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    0x004010C1 would probably work.

Apparently the game doesn't support any resolution between 1080p and 2160p. AA will be needed to deal with that for anyone in between.

8. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Which supersampling level I should use when using hybrid AA?

9. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Can anyone confirm Red Orchestra 2 SGSSAA still works?
    It doesn't seems to do anything for me.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With HSAA if you wish to use SGSSAA with it you need to match the samples to the MSAA used by whatever HSAA mode you are using. If using Trssaa it doesn't matter.

11. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    The aliasing in Phantom Pain is especially egregious on Mother Base where there are a lot of railings, gratings, and staircases. I tried downsampling from 5K and it makes almost zero difference. Bottom line is deferred lighting and antialiasing do not go together. I first remember this issue between deferred lighting and AA popping up in RE6. That being said, I think the lighting in Phantom Pain is among the best I've ever seen and it's one of the best looking games of all time. I guess I can live with some minor shimmering.

12. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I see. I thought that supersampling level has to match MSAA level. For example 16xS combined, which is SSAA 2x2 + MSAA 4x, requires supersampling 4x.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The problem is that the aliasing remaining depends on your display resolution and the ratio which you are downsampling. And whether you have the built FXAA disabled as well.

A 2x2 ratio with an Ordered Grid is only going to do so much on it's own. Even if your monitor's native resolution is high resolution.

If you were doing 4x4 OGSSAA+ the built in FXAA. The aliasing would likely be a different story and all but eradicated. (But of course that's unplayable and 16xOGSSAA is the literal definition of brute forcing rather than intelligently super sampling)

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No, only SGSSAA requires this.

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "supersampling 4x" here, but most likely you are referring to "transparency" supersampling or TrSSAA.
    This is not a requirement with 16xS, but really makes a big difference in for example many older Source engine games with the "0x000000C0" AA flag.
    But naturally TrSSAA will only work on transparency textures, and will not apply full-scene supersampling like SGSSAA does.

But 4xTrSSAA requires 4xMSAA to work, which is "included" in the Hybrid OGSSAA+MSAA modes.
    In a similar fashion 4xSGSSAA also requires 4xMSAA to work.
    Have a look at this table I made a while ago:

[​IMG]

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It actually doesn't need the same sampling level as SGSSAA does. It is independent because it only works on Alpha marked objects.

Where as SGSSAA(FSSGSSAA) requires the points to match to replay the shading for everything on screen.

17. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Does enabling MFAA interferes with SGSSAA?

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    MFAA is only used to "enhance" ingame MSAA settings in some recent DX11 games with special NVIDIA driver support.
    SGSSAA is manually forced in older DX9 games with a custom AA profile.

19. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Another thing that might be contributing to the AA problem is I'm on a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor. I thought I read somewhere that this can cause issues as well.

20. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Funny I was playing CoD MW2 (DX9) with 4SGSSAA and in the Favela mission I noticed the houses in the distance had weird look to their colors turns on I had MFAA enabled, disabled it and now the colors look solid.