upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by twincam, Oct 1, 2015.

1. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    I'm thinking of getting an gtx 970 or even a 980. Currently using a amd r290 which I've overclocked the card seems to have a decent amount of power still but many games I play favour nvidia cards or drivers.

From benchmarks the gtx 970 does mostly only a little better in tests and occasionally a little worse. However on certain games I like say project cars it does so much better.
    The 980 is clearly a better card by a fair amount.

So I'm wondering if I should go for a 970 and overclock or just go for the 980 just to be sure. Its not that far from Xmas so I would rather go for the cheaper option but I'm worried the gtx 970 even overclocked may not satisfy me.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    970 just wont offer any performance increase, nothing. Its a sidegrade that no one should recommend if you already have R9 290.

As for 980, it will be faster, yes...although i recommend reaching for 980ti if you want a real upgrade.

3. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    Yeah that was my feeling although a sidegrade the 970 will actually play certain games much much better.
    I guess it will have to be the 980 the ti version is just too much cash

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What are the specs of the system?

Things to consider are:
    • actual CPU used and speed it is running at
    • amount of RAM and its speed
    • the operating system you are on (7/8/8.1/10 32-bit or x64 etc)
    • whether you have a R9-290 or R9-290X
    • motherboard (less important to know for this but still good to know).

I wouldn't bother going from an R9-290 to GTX 970. Also AMD drivers have had recent optimisations (something that Nvidia did quite a while ago) so any test done before around Catalyst 15.8/15.9.1 won't be representative of what you will experience now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah I mean at this point why bother? the 290 is right about the same as a 970 or stock 980.its not always greener on the other side

7. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    I5 4670 stock
    16gb 1600mhz
    Windows 10 64bit
    R9 290 overclocked 1077-1345
    I don't overclock the cpu or memory as in the past and up till recently I've broken a fair few components doing so think its been mainly bad luck as I'm not irresponsible when doing so. I've only once broken a gpu overclocking and that was in 2003.

8. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    The point is a gtx 970 plays games like project cars my r9 290 plays project cars nicely and at very high settings but soon as the rain come my fps drops dramatically right down to the 20s. The gtx 970 does at least 10fps more with higher graphics settings typically.
    I'm using up to date and drivers etc. But the nvidia drivers seem much better in many games.

I have nothing against and at all but it does seem that even a sidegrade would be much stronger.

Think I shall get a 980 however at the end of the month.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    980 ti don't bother with anything else

980 will be a pretty pointless purchase in my opinion

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree. It's much better to upgrade rather do a crossgrade up only a slight slope :). If the GTX 980 TI isn't an option for you price wise, then you should just stick with the R9-290.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If the games the OP plays benefit hugely from Nv hardware, it could be worth while. We're talking about general performance improvements between the two, which to be honest isn't much. But when we focus on Nv centric games you're looking at as big a leap as going from a 970 to 980ti at times -- and from what he's explaining that could very well be the case.

What I would recommend, would be to check the latest drivers to see if there's improvements in the titles played. If there's not, look into selling your 290 -- if you get a half decent price for it consider buying the 970. Be sure to check second hand markets, you might not have to spend much in the end. Once OC'd (Most 970's will reach close to 1500 on the core) the 290 is going to be left behind in most scenarios anyway.

If you're not selling or have no use for the 290 after buying the 970, I'd seriously consider waiting it out until you can get better.

12. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    going from a 290 to a 970 or 980 isnt a good upgrade... save a little more

13. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    Bought a used 970 gets 10 fps more at stock speeds than my 290 overclocked! in project cars. Making ultra graphics very playable.
    Overclocked it adds much more. Still trying to find stable oc.
    But looking like a good buy at the price I got it for will no doubt not upgrade until new nvidia cards come out.
    Or a 980ti after Christmas

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, dont like what you did. Project cars do favor 970 while some other will favor 290.

Its a sidegrade performance wise. Also, you have even less Vram now.

From HH review :

[​IMG]

15. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Really? Come on.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I thought the 970 has 56 rops and it does use all 4gb of vram, any 970 owner can tell you that.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why argue with the numbers? It is what it is and just accept that.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^you are the 1 who brought up numbers in the first place.
    Its got a 3.5gb segment and a slower 512mb segment that can be fully utilized with only a minor performance hit vs the 980 4gb.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  20. twincam

twincam Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 (Overclocked)
    Not sure if the gtx was a sidegrade as I've gained more performance in every game I currently play. Witcher 3, Gta 5, project cars and I've gained performance in benchmarks.
    Much lower temps 70s vs up to 95 degrees!, and lower power usage.
    Higher overclock gains
    I play at 1080p and will do until the next gen of cards next year so the ram issue is less of an issue to me but so far zero problems.
    My screen colour is correct where as before I could never get it right.
    The sale of my r290 nearly covers what I paid for the used gtx 970. So I feel it's a win win situation.

I have nothing against amd and would use them again. So I'm certainly not bashing them.