Need help with watercooling

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hangry, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Hello everyone,

A friend of mine (my roommate actually) wants to change his gaming rig because his current one is 5 years old.

We know he will have:
    intel i5 6600k or 6700k (LGA 1151)
    nvidia gtx 970
    2 ssd 2.5 and 2 HDD 3.5

I don't know what Motherboard we will use but it doesn't really matter yet, it will depend on what's left on the budget.

I need help finding a GPU block for the 970, a CPU block LGA 1151, proper fittings, a reservoir, a pump, a radiator, fans, and the rright case to fit all this inside.

I would also like to ask if it possible and a good idea to put the GPU and CPU on the same loop with 1 big adiator (like 3 fans)? We plan to overclock the CPU.

the budget is 600 euros for all the watercooling parts and the case (i think we will go over it so don't hesitate to post if you got something for like 700-800)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    LGA1150 and LGA1151 are the same, so that is not a problem.

CPU and GPU to same loop, it's possible and not a bad idea. Getting separate loop for GPU would (depending on loop) lower the temperatures, but you would need to buy another pump, rad and fans and perhaps a reservoir. There are AIO watercooling kits, one for Corsair with dual 140mm fans. Not very expensive and has nice cooling performance. Buy that and then 240 rad for GPU only loop? :)

For 700-800€ you could get separate loops for GPU and CPU

For the case, uhm, what do you need ? Something large so that you can fit multiple radiators in ?

3. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    if we stay under budget we can go for an i7 instead of i5 and get a good mb. We dont want an AIO, its good but not fun to make. if the money really allows it easily 2 loops could be nice but its twice as expensive as one loop. Could you recomend me some good GPU and CPU water block?

And as for the case, I was thinking of a case with a big top opening to be able to fit a huge rad.

if needed we will go over budget but we'd prefer to stay under 600

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No I cant really recommend on any parts. I would check out some pre selected watercooling kits and then read a bit about those. Btw. Nothing stopping you from using two radiators on same loop. Say, pump/res -> rad -> cpu -> rad -> gpu -> back to pump. Saves you from buying another pump/res and that second rad would not have to be very massive.

5. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    yeah, having 2 rads on the same loop would decrease greatly the temperature without increasing the cost too much. thx for the idea.

I will read some reviews of kit, thank you :)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Any progress on the matter so far?

7. artikot

artikot Guest

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    lol:stewpid:
    gtx970 and a custom WL AAAANNNDDD 6600k? Are you for real????
    Get normal air cooling and some decent gpu instead.
    You will get more performance for your money. A lot more.

Watercooling is only for people who have money to buy top of the range HW. Not for those who buy budget parts.

Why throwing money away customising an outdated 3,5gig gpu that will be dead in 5 months?
    You can easly get best gtx980 for the cost of gtx970+custom loop and still have some money left over. And it will perform better.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    But watercooling is fun, low noise levels and more overclocking headroom. Sometimes the trip is more fun than the results. From performance point of view 6600K and GTX970 watercooled might not be the best option, but that's not the only thing which matters.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly, water cooling with a custom loop is not only about building a gaming rig, it's about building a water cooled gaming rig.

10. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Complete waste to put an i7 in that system. Spend the extra on a GTX 980. You won't notice even a 1% difference with an i7 6700k instead of i5 6600k. A 980 vs a 970? You're looking at at least 15%. That IMO is the smart choice.

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Seriously now..why are you AMD fan boy trolling about the 3,5+slower0,5 of 970 ? Go somewhere else to fill with dirty posts like this...and about suggesting a 980 to OP..again,REALLY? it is fullspeed 4GB Vram,yes but the more cost is hell not recommended, IMO is 970 or 980TI(expensive one,ofc,thus not suggested to OP by me). FOR your ignorrance,I haven't see any problems with my 970s and I am pretty sure that they won't be a RIP product in 5 months.

H2O is like he said, the trip to reach your final results is often better experience from it's final results.

The best performance/cost ratio comes with the already suggested same loop with 2 rads.

12. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    hey, first thanks guys for the replys

second, my friend wants a watercooled rig for low noise and beacause its fun. and he will also probably make a custom case by itself.

about the i7 vs i5 and 980 vs 970.
    for gaming the 970 will be fie a long time. im not talking about 60fps for 3 years but will run run most games decently for a few years.
    and yes the i7 wont make a difference in gaming but it will because he uses softwares like solidworks for work.

so from what ivce read here and elsewhere, the best would be one loop with 2 rads. now im only neediing help on choosing the parts. i need advice on brands and models fot the rads reservoir and pump.
    for the rads what do you think of 2 dual rads?

13. artikot

artikot Guest

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    LOL I'm not AMD fan boy but you with your comment are showing your bias.
    I'm always using what's best in price/perf ratio I can get at a time. Got offered my 295x2 for the price of just one of your cards so I grabbed it. Specially that it's around 3 times as fast in games I play.
    Gtx970 and lower will be dead in 5 months when Pascal comes. Nvidia is shifting to compute performance with Pascal (what amd is on now) and gtx970 with its petty 3,5 gflops will be dead.
    As to me suggesting 980 to OP - that is what he would afford when he'd drop WC. Also seems that OP want's to go Nvidia route (fine with me). I bet you'd call me a bigger fan boy if I suggested 290x to OP which would make more sense (same price + higher performance + more benefit from WC due to more heat, more vram(lol)), but I didn't to avoid comments like yours. I'm not here to lobby for AMD or NV like you...

With most WC setups you will not get better noise levels. Its only on CFX or SLI setups that you would see lower noise and that's not what OP is doing.
    WC is to improve thermal headroom for OC. In most cases you end up with more noise - OP sais he wil get 2 rads - that means 4 rad fans + a pump + at least 2 case fans + psu fan = a hell lot of noise.
    I bet it will be fun but the end result will be disappointing for day-to-day use.
    So my point still stands - from common sense point of view what OP is trying to do is just pointless. BUT if he's doing it just for lols than its fine!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015