Microsoft Disables Securom and Safedisc DRMs and thus their games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I can only assume making games for either Vulkan or DX12 will be equally difficult.

2. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    The cmd method doesn't work for me, I get the error "This driver had been blocked from loading".
    Guess I must wait for a more permanent fix.

Does explain the problems I was getting with some games. Good thing Microsoft warned people .... yeah right

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    MS explains in the details as to how to re-enable the service/driver so you can play your game. They also recommend that you turn it back off once you've finished.

Its a security issue. Are we going to complain about MS making their OS as secure as possible?

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If one was able to hide this update indefinitely...problem solved. Sounds more like the start of an officially approved software list; all under the guise of making the platform more secure. Whatever happened to letting the individual decide how secure they want their system?

EDIT: It also artificially creates consumer demand where there was not.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

5. superstition

superstition Member

Sims 2 Ultimate that was released free last year comes with SecuROM

and it's a better game than Sims 4, particularly when loaded with custom content

6. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    No, I'm not going to complain about Windows 10 being safer.
    I am however going to complain about MS giving 0 sh*ts about backwards compatibility and releasing such updates without offering a solution.
    Ow ... and turning it on again is of course not a solution, it's making the OS vulnerable again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The user can decide. Read the article.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Really?

Thought 10 prevented the installation of SecuRom. If all it takes is a few key strokes to enable such vulnerability, just how did they increase the security? The key strokes are not able to be automated? If one needs to be physically at the keyboard to take advantage of the flaw, then just how much of a security risk was it to start with. Not accepting this current iteration of their explanation.

9. superstition

superstition Member

Microsoft did the right thing, something that should have been done a long time ago.

However, companies that released games that require this stuff need to step up and release patches to take away the need for it.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    LOl, whatever man.

The article is about 7/8/8.1. Thats all im referring to. Could less about Win10, its about as consolised as a PC OS can get.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    On those versions one has the ability to indefinitely postpone the installation of the update. No need to provide a workaround.

12. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    Hey, you said this was MS making the OS safer, not me :)

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Other then Red alert 3 i dont own any games that use securom, and i dont play RA:3 anymore

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^This

if only the world was a better place...

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a surprise to me however to get around this is to either purchase any of those games through GOG if they have it or use a nocd crack as Hilbert has said in the article. Plus to me this has nothing to do with backwards compatibility because Secu_ROM has caused enough problems for legit customers who had either Daemon Tools installed or 2 optical drives installed in their computer and it is high time that MS did something about it.

16. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    MS cant fix a program which is not theirs. The only thing they can do is to disable it. Its like a 10-year old version of Java or Flash on your computer which never updates and is basically dumped by the company who made it. You should blame game companies if they dont provide a fix for you. And they dont, because you accepted the EULA :). But you were warned by the evil pirates that this will happen some day. They were right.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It is not MS fault that developers used a crappy method of anti piracy. Plus there is a work around if you use a no-CD/DVD crack or repurchasing from a DRM free site such as GOG.

18. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    Yes it is. since Windows supported this kind of DRM for years, there really was no reason for developers to patch it out.
    Now, years after, when some developers are long gone, or source codes are lost, demanding for a fix for (and I fully agree) a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place is just plain unreasonable.

MS should have build in a driver that acted as if Securom was still working, or should have contacted the securom developers for a solution. Don't know if they are still operational, but trying to find a Securom workaround sounds like the easier thing to do as supposed to expecting countless developers to dig out some wizardry for no longer supported games.

Luckily these 'fixes' already exist in most cases, they're called cracks, making numerous gamers pirates. Using cracks is still illegal since it modifies the original source. That's also stated in that EULA we all accepted.
    You can't expect everyone to repurchase games, just because some company makes your original copy inactive.
    Also, not all older games are available as a modern re-release.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well You can't blame MS for making Windows more secure.

20. superstition

superstition Member

EA just released the free Sims 2 Ultimate last year.

Hardly unreasonable.

if the companies are still in business the source code won't be lost.