Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    This has been happening to people since RTM, the best accepted solution which seems to work is to just ignore the activation error and keep trying to activate, eventually the error stops and Windows activates

Don't blame you for going back to 8.1 though, been very tempted myself

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Yeah. I read a lot about this error and got more frustrated reading other people being frustrated about this and searching for solutions.

I'll revisit 10 on my desktop when MS is done finishing it.. For now though I need a constant. Not a goal post moving simulator.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't blame you at all, MS seem more interested in Apps than stability and usability - which is why I switched to LTSB

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I been reading you can switch from CB to LTSB and vis versa, as simple as just install it over current install and telling to to keep personal files. part of me like the idea of have live weather tile on starmenu, other part of despises the whole "APP" idea and the fact that cortana cant be out right disabled with out breaking search in the startmenu...

IF as simple as that and system stay active i might do that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

5. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090

Maybe this one?
    local group policy editor/computer configuration/administrative templates/system/internet communication manager/internet communication settings/turn off windows update driver searching

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hey thanks for the tip, I knew that one.. It wasn't that it was something else
    [​IMG]

btw anyone else having issues with Windows update atm or is it just me?
    I tried to open windows mail app and it threw me some strange error again, then I decided to re-download but now store app doesn't want to download, another error there >> error 0x80072efd..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x80072efd

EDIT: ok nvm guess it was really something on my end.. I repaired windows update with win10manager and restarted now it installed mail app and also works again..

Damn this windows 10 is so sensitive as a newborn child.. :rolleyes: lol

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  7. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Finally finished my rollback to Windows 8.1 Pro... God I forgot how much I loved this, how polished it is, and how streamlined everything is.. Really makes Windows 10 discombobulation, fragmented function and presentation stand out in glaring fashion.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    DEvice restriction has options that will out right block driver from being isntalled even if you have the drivers.

Prevent Installation of devices not discribed by other policys
    Prevent Installation of devices that match any of these device ids

there probably 2 more in there that do similar things. When I had the
    Prevent Installation of devices not discribed by other policys enabled i could not install my mouse driver was out right blocked.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have nothing against Windows 10... after I've customised it to my liking :). Regardless of whether it's now or in 2 years time, you're going to have to 'get used' to Windows 10 if you want to remain relevant in regard to gaming etc.

10. LathspeLL

LathspeLL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have a problem which started after the upgrade to win10.

I'm using a gaming laptop which has Intel HD Graphics 4000 and nVidia 660m GTX.
    Using the latest drivers for both of them.

While on desktop when graphic adapter switches for nVidia for a moment, the whole system freezes for 1 second. This happens since the upgrade and with the all drivers I've installed for the both adapters.

Also in CS:GO, the game freezes for 1-2 seconds in 3-5 minute intervals...

Is anyone experiencing this? Is there a known fix?

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @ Extraordinary

you said enterpise version has the non app verison of the cacluator, you would happen to upload that someplace?

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    fiqureed this much seeing win7 calc.exe didnt work

I was instantly annoyed today when I tried to run the "app" calculator and was told i need to update it to run it. and seeing as I dont have windows firewall running those automatic app updates are not actual done.

The whole VClibs 12 is still constantly trying to update to SAME verison for the last few months now..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like you need LTSB, but might miss a few apps, I think the % will side with LTSB vs App needs

If I was you, I'd use LTSB with 3rd party email and weather programs and forget about Apps, they are MS way to suck you into using their spynet versions of 10

And from experience with the pro mail app, it sucks anyway, even when I was running Pro, I used Windows Live Mail from get.live.com

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I use Thunderbird for email and probably at some point i might just use the web based clients. The weather thing is only thing I like it it dont work right keep going blank lmao, at some point i will probably switch but atm i just dont feel like so the swtich and redoing everything.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was the same, but I'd broken so much in Pro trying to get rid of apps and spying, it wasn't a problem to switch lol

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah last time broke things in pro i when i tried removing all apps and broke start menu, I had to reinstalled the os.

Untill do my new build i rather just leave as is, to much of hassle to redo thing to my liking.Win10 would been great imo if they gave use the OPTION have APP system installed or not installed from the initial install.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, they advertised Win 10 as "We listened",

No you didn't MS, you ignored everything, again, and added even more sh1t that we told you we hated

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS listen? only time I saw MS "listen" is when they backtrack in less then 24hours about used game issue and 24 hour check in on the xbox one. and that only happens cause they realized they cant force feed the console world there ideas. I wish that worked in PC world. but MS knows they control pc world as far as OS go so they dont care what we think.

I will go back to Win7 in heartbeat if it EVER gets DX12 but we all know it wont

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Try disabling all Power Saving features from Windows and BIOS and see if it helps.

My father-in-law has issues with W10 and his Asus laptop where the system is intermittently switching off. There were no issues with Win 7.
    There seems to be something off with the way W10 handles power delivery on some laptops I think.