Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    witcher 3 is very sensitive to unstable overclocks. have you tried with stock clocks? we have the same GPU, and I don't suffer from this issue in witcher 3.

2. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Stock everything and it's the same.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    very strange then. the only thing left to do is to turn on monitoring tools for everything in the system, if possible in OSD for easier viewing, and once the issue occurs see what's what and check the logs.

there has to be a cause for the issue.

4. BNSoul

BNSoul Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 660 Ti OC 3GB
    it's the drivers, just because one out of 1000 can't see or notice the issues doesn't mask the fact that reverting to old drivers solve 99% of the issues, don't waste time messing with your computers, it's Nvidia in charge and responsible of this.

5. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Possible performance boost but require testing and comparisons.

I've been monitoring evga precision x for some time i noticied variations in the framerate and performance. Extending to point of application crashing and decreased performance.

Later revisions adding the evga server and another service which impacts reliability. The latest version is the most unstable 5.3.8.

..Then i tested evga precision 5.3.1 where the additional services isnt added. This video pretty much sums it up with a consistent performance boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5YIFG3i5E&index=1&list=LLPrGusmHLBSb7UX6hcVqOFQ

No issues at the moment but im still testing it. Using windows 10 64bit all updates installed.

ram modules all good and tested individually with Memtest after getting alot of crashes with the latest version (5.3.8) and ssd's and hdd excellent, i tested with hdtune. The issue is with the latest revision of evga precision x.

evga 5.3.1 can be downloaded here http://www.evga.com/precision/

6. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Another note, 355.82 is a really bad driver. Not just for fox engine and witcher 3. Its just bad.

Reverting back to 347.52 which is bad for witcher 3 but i'll find the right driver for that game soon.

If wondering how im rolling back without getting auto upgraded to 355.82.

gpedit.msc>windows components>windows update> Configure automatic updates >enabled and select 2- Notify for download and notify for install

and device installation settings > no, let choose what to do > never install > untick automatically install...etc

A real headache from microsoft not allowing you to select and hiding updates patch is unreliable which still allows another nvidia update through which means you'll need to uninstall nvidia drivers twice.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Hi guys

I bought the witcher 3 almost a week ago and had nothing but trouble. The game started to freeze on me for like 3-5 seconds. I did everything..from different grsphic driver to audio, bios, cp settings, power settings, refresh rate, ingame settings...nothing helped...I issued a refund and will buy the game until it is fixed. I sold my gtx980 yesterday also and got today my new gtx 980 ti and freshly formatted my system.

All the games I had never had any issues,except the witcher 3.

My friend borrowed me the witcher 3 to try and to see if it running better now....cant believe that it must be so hard.

Will post the results soon.

8. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Ok im installing the game myself and testing

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Ok i found a solution to the witcher 3. First if you're using Windows 10, install 347.25 since thats the best driver. Every driver release from 352.63 to 355.82 windows 10 has random hitching and stuttering which is really bad.

Analyzing the witcher 3 performance with this driver (347.25) i can tell something is wrong with the maximum pre-rendered frames. Setting it to 1 fixes the frame inconsistency which makes the game flow correctly.

Nvidia CP> Manage 3d settings > Program Settings > Add > Add witcher 3 > Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1

I'm running the game without hair effects on the latest version 1.08.4

EDIT#1

Still some inconsistency. little more testing

EDIT#2

PhysX-9.15.0428-SystemSoftware is important for this game to function correctly without hitching. Installed this physx version which happens to be the most current and game performs smoothly.

Now for long testing and fps averaging.

EDIT#3

Still has minor hitching and frame incosistancy

EDIT#4

Nvidia driver is blown for this game. The shader cache doesnt work properly so its gonna hitch regardless.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. ntsarb

ntsarb Guest

GPU:
    Kingston XMP-1600 8GB
    Same here. I found it was the motherboard's Windows 10 drivers.

Fresh install of Windows 10 with latest NVIDIA drivers and Asrock X99 WS drivers: terrible stuttering.

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 with latest NVIDIA drivers and Asrock X99 WS drivers: mooth and fast, no problem at all!

Fresh install of Windows 10 with latest NVIDIA drivers, no motherboard drivers: smooth and fast, no problem at all!

I spent a week worth of free time to exhaustively test hardware and software, to find out I've been let down by the motherboard's drivers.

It would cost me less to work overtime and buy a new motherboard!

At least I pinpointed the cause.

11. knivestv

knivestv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Thanks for sharing your results. Helps a lot when people like yourself do that :)

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    He tested disk performance @driver only..

Here it didnt matter what driver only being used.. only after installing whole package i got the same perf back as by win8.1.. at least by cryengine3.. so idk what to think here other then driver only didnt matter be it v10 or very latest v11.0.0.116x or this 11.0.0.1144..

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I just noticed that gigabyte put updated mei drivers ver 11.0.0.1158 for my board couple days ago.

but the download installs 11.0.0.1155

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    Yes, it got to because NV has that habbit of releasing drivers that at least perform smoother with their latest hardware than anything prior

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I tried this pack too now and well there is some part that's missing by IMEI installer 62MB vs 92mb and this part missing is crucial and causes "fps" drops if not installed.

When I reinstalled old 11.0.0.1144 pack and then updated just IMEI driver part fps boost remained the same.. Atm updated to 11.0.0.1160 and its still ok @ Cryenigne3.

17. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Hi Guys

I owe you a feedback in regards to my situation. So I sold my EVGA GTX980 SC AXC 2.0 and got on Friday my new Zotac 980 GTX TI Amp! Extreme Edition Card.

I formated my Win 8.1 64 Bit System with again Win 8.1 64. Graphic Driver is the current 355.82.

Installed the Intel Chipset, RSD & MEI Drivers.

For the Graphic Driver I used the Custom Installation and chose only the Driver (Can't do otherwise) and PhysX.

Put in CP the Power Management to Maximum Performance.

Installed Witcher 3 with Patch 1.08. Everything left untouched and all Settings to Ultra with Hairworks turned to Maximum Settings.

Skipped all the Intro and while I had 3-5 Seconds freezes even in the Main Menu plus InGame, I tested both...went to the same locations where I had the Freezers (Usually around many many trees or a lot of moving stuff) and waited...and waited.

I played the game for roughly 30 minutes and had 0% Freezers, no FrameRate dips or stuttering.

Now also I would like to let everyone know who uses the EVGA Precision 16 Tool, do not use the latest Version! It causes a lot of issues in several applications and also in games. Before the format of my System I went back 2 releases and all was good. It caused with games and applications a 50% cpu load upon keyboard inputs of that running game or application. Also stuttering in BF4 was caused by the latest Precision Software.

So now I can even enjoy ARK: Survival Evolved in all it's glory and no stuttering except for the usual ingame lags and rubber banding.

I use now no additional Software to control the Fans of my GPU. It turns on automatically when demanding stuff like games are running. No Rivatuner, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision Software.

The System also boots in 5 Seconds into my OS now..which is 3 seconds quicker then before with almost the same hardware.

I believe that the Witcher 3 has problems with adjusting clock speeds of the graphics card which is being controlled by an application. I saw it when the Precision Software adjusted the Fan Speeds and also the clock speeds of the Card that I had even more frequent Freezers. It could just be for my setup, but who knows.

Hope this may help someone.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  18. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    ^^use msi afterburner

19. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    What is the reason to use MSI Afterburner? I havent used the software in years.

Regards
    Never

20. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    for overclock then y u installed precisionX?