Do you think AMD Zen will put AMD back in the game?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Jw_Leonhart, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    newer games are using more cores now so if my i5 started to feel the lag I would get an 8 core zen in it matched sandy core performance. I would also prolly get a couple of upgrades out of that same socket unlike this one.

2. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    More Cores != More Performance. I've gone over this many times. If the CPU isn't the performance bottleneck, you gain NOTHING by making the CPU faster. This is the single biggest logical fallacy I keep seeing.

In any case, with AMDs debt problems now becoming acute, I don't think AMD as constructed will last much past Zen. I fully expect a Radeon spin within the next year, and I wouldn't be shocked if their patent portfolio, including AMD64, gets sold not long after. AMD is pretty much out of money at this point.

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I am thinking a very significant number of people back AMD as Their Team, not because they are fanboys... but because they Really Like this being a 2 horse race and want to do their part to help keep it that way.

Obviously they would Like to buy the best CPU they can, but in the long run getting the "shiny thing" Now is kinda like shooting yourself in the foot to get out of going to shopping while you still have food in the fridge. Rather crippling.

With Zen bringing so many very good architectural changes which should make it a significantly Better processor than anything AMD have been able to offer in Year, a significant bunch of those significantly hopeful people will be buying new systems (that have also been holding onto those upgradable motherboards for a few generations perhaps also gaining Many new features in that upgrade too) and sending AMD a fair whack of money they can put into staying afloat and of course more competitive in the future.

It should be possibly the biggest cash injection AMD have had since the Athlon 64 days, bigger perhaps :)

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    latest info says 2016.

then I read the article and it say Q4 2016 at the earliest

I read this as Q2 2017, if everything goes well

5. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Guest

GPU:
    980 TI
    Neither :(

Especially with the delays that Zen is seeing... I don't have much hope. I would love to go back to buying AMD stuff though... with Intel being so far ahead the pricing has gotten a bit ridiculous.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What delays? It was supposed to be released in H2'16....it's still planned for release in H2'16.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It is a very safe bet it will be delayed.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think it will better then what they have will it compete with intel, I doubt it, but one can hope.

AMD papers specs have not lived up to the actual releases performance, and i just dont see that changing

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD hasn't released any actual "specs" yet.... However, the engineer heading up development of Zen has been successful at competing with Intel in the past. It's quite possible it can happen again. Remember, designing a processor isn't all about money. You can have an unlimited budget and still release a crap product. AMD has always been at a financial disadvantage to Intel but has managed to pull out amazing products in the past. With the right engineers, anything is possible.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this true they have not released anything "yet" , but with there track record i dont expect things to change sadly, would it be great if they pull the rabbit out of that hat yes, it would force intel to actual try. might even bring prices down

Dont get me wrong i might hate AMD products but i want them to actual relevant in desktop cpu again

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm hoping for something good. I'm still on X58 with a 980X clocked at 4 GHz. Quad cores of today aren't faster, so I see no reason to upgrade, aside from maybe some of the newer storage tech, which in real terms would probably make very little difference.

12. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters."

answer: no :banana:

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It really depends on what you're doing as to whether they're faster or not. For lightly threaded tasks (2-4 threads), my 6600K is faster at 3.9ghz than your 980X at 4ghz. For heavily multi-threaded tasks (more than 4 threads), things swing back the other way.

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That's exactly the point. For gaming, my current setup is "good enough" for 1440p, because games become more GPU bound at higher resolutions, generally, but for audio work (why I bought 6 cores), it's still quicker, and until a quad core surpasses it, I'm not budging, although the lower power output would probably help somewhat. This board has 2 NF 200 chips on which are effectively redundant!

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For me, a quad core is plenty. However, if Zen turns out to be interesting enough, I'll still buy into it.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  18. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Keller leaving means nothing, look at his employment history, seems he doesn't stay anywhere very long! The design of zen is more or less compete so what's the guy supposed to do now, sit on his butt.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Complete? So why not go into mass production tomorrow?

Design is finished when it tapes out, it passes bunch of tests and it's green lighted for mass production.

if Keller leaving means nothing, then why having him means everything

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    AMD needs to pull a rabbit out of it's hat with Zen. A Big Bird sized one.