Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Gets 165Hz Refresh Rate

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    TFT a while back said they wouldn't get a review unit until at least October, they said release would probably be December. If it's anything like the PG278Q, you won't see it until June 2017.

2. claydough

claydough Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    I would gladly buy 3 IPS monitors fer .7k a piece if they also supported 3dVision.

With that said I think anyone who has been buying flat screens since the 90's can attest to.
    TN viewing angles and color reproduction gets better every year. Which makes pretending that TN automatically == color garbage...
    ludicrous.
    Last 3 acers I bought and the whites were an even match across all 3 spans for the past 6 years ( would had taken hours of finagling with my expensive CRT behemoths in the 90's ).
    Problems have been abound fer the swifts with 3devision and SLI setups ( just take a gander at the nerd rage filled ROG forums.. mutch misery ) hoping this fixes such woe.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The initial few batches of Swifts had manufacturing issues much like every other new technology does. But they have pretty much been resolved. I got mine 6 months ago and haven't had a single problem with it.

4. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    I am Norwegian so I don't understand much of what he is saying here.
    But I am pretty sure he says that the PG279Q has IPS panel in this video from ASUS ROG Deutschland. ttps://youtu.be/j6ulAZ17oHI?t=4m59s
    So it looks like Guru3D is wrong.

5. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    ooh 165hz :D ...
    TN :thumbdown

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I don't understand why people complain so much about viewing angles on a monitor do u guys not sit directly in front of them while using the computer?

7. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    He also mentions that the PG279Q will be released in October in the video I mentioned above. So it has IPS and 165Hz as I could hear.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I will never use a monitor that is not flicker free. It makes such a big difference to me.

165hz is nice though.

9. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    It is flicker free...

10. cleverman

cleverman Guest

GPU:
    Have the best of both worlds and go for a VA panels,
    Wide angle with fast response VA screens are.
    Not as clear as a ips agreed not as responsive as a TN agreed
    But there best of both worlds,
    Forget Ips not many people require that amount of accuracy and there latency is usually rubbish with fake results.
    And forget about TN people like to move away from time to time without having to turn the screen to face them to see a image.

11. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Sometimes I do other things while wanting to look at the monitor from a distance at odd angles. That being said the ROG TN Panels from Asus have great viewing angles and color reproduction for what it is. Still IPS all the way.

12. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    I own an Acer XB270HU too but I have a backlight bleed on lower right corner, making blackness on my monitor less than perfect. My previous monitor is Samsung s27a750d (TN). I must admit that Samsung really knows their color as the color on this monitor hands down beat any IPS monitors I've ever seen. Blackness on Samsung, combined with their glossy (but not glaring) coating, is so deep that you can't tell whether you are seeing a black background or the screen is off. Too bad my Samsung died earlier this year so I have to change to Acer.

13. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  14. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm not sure why somebody would want to give their money to overclockers for 2 months!

It definitely says this is an IPS panel unlike the original article

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yah it's the same panel that's in the XB270HU just overclocked. 30-165Hz G-Sync Window.

Also IDK about Europe but the original PG278Q was out of stock in the US for like 3-4 months after it launched. Granted it also had massive QA issues which led to tons of returns.. Also this Panel has been in production for a while so it should have better initial supply.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what good is better color reproduction if it just muddied by the respsonse times of IPS, I have seen then but no mater how good the color is I cant stomach the response times and the blur, considering i cant stand it on 2ms panel there little chance i will stomach 5ms.

Static pictures there superb compared to TN but in motion there worse then TN.

im sure there is some one on these forums that will take offense to me saying that too.

IPS nice but not worth it to me simple cause it response times

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Response times don't tell the entire story of blur.

The XB270HU is an IPS panel with a measured 5.5ms average G-G response time. The PG278Q is a TN Panel with a measured 2.9ms average G-G response time. The XL2720Z is a TN panel with a measured 3.8ms average G-G response time.

Normally you'd think that the PG278Q would have the least blur, but lets look at what the blur actually looks like:

XB270HU:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/pixperan/acer_xb270hu.jpg

PG278Q:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/pixperan/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.jpg

XL2720Z:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/pixperan/benq_xl2720z.jpg

The XL270Z despite being nearly a millisecond slower than the PG278Q clearly has less intrusive blur. I'd also argue that the IPS XB270HU despite being an entire 2.6ms slower also has less intrusive blur than the PG278Q. This is mainly because of the RGB striping that's occurs on contrasting images on panel of the PG728Q.

In the case of the PG279Q, it's using the same panel that's in the XB270HU but it's overclocked to 165Hz that + overdrive should put the measured G-G refresh rate of the panel around 5.0ms. It should look slightly better than the XB which imo already looks better than the TN panel used in the PG.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it dont but I see clear diffrence between blur on TN and IPS TN suffer less from the evil. like said i dont care how good color is if it just muddy by the response times

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    the IPS acer has the least total lag compared to even the asus tn

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not talking about "lag" talking about motion blur, price is not worth to me its as simple as that or in even simpler terms IF i see it bluring it not worth to me not at the prices IPS panels are

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015