Building new gaming PC, how will performance be?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by williamholden2, Sep 4, 2015.

1. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    So for Christmas I am going to be building a gaming PC, I am on about a £350 budget and I have saved quite alot of money under £350, (which is a good thing since my Birthday is 3 months later so I can upgrade some components) and I was wondering what my performance will be like?

The parts I have chosen are:

APU: AMD A10-5800K Quad Core 3.8Ghz APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D

RAM: HyperX Fury Black Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600Mhz Memory

Motherboard: Asus A58M-E Micro ATX Motherboard (AMD A58, DDR3, SATA 300, 1x PCI Express 3.0x 16, DVI-D VGA, Socket FM2+ )

Hard Drive: Generic Hard Disk Drive 250GB SATA II, SATA 300, minimum of 2MB of cache and maximum of 16MB of cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"

PSU: Probably going to be using a previous power supply I had which is a 480w, so should be way overkill for this build.

Now as you can see I have gone for an extremely budget build coming in at £150. In my opinion I think this is a pretty solid build for a entry-level budget PC. So the games I will be playing are most likely going to be basic Source Engine games, like CS:GO, Left 4 Dead 2, also stuff like Killing Floor 1 and 2, maybe GTA V, Codename CURE, I already get 40-90 FPS on Codename CURE on a low spec Toshiba laptop. I will be occasionally playing modern titles like Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4 but I won't be playing those too often.

Also, I would like to ask how would this build handle DPC latency? (Audio handling, the higher, the more audio dropouts and crackles you will get, 0-300 is very good. Google "DPC latency" )

So my question is what FPS will I be getting in the games I will be playing?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'd really look into some higher speed ram with that APU.

Check this video out, the benefits of higher speed RAM combined with an apu is retardedly high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv57qDXpEPU

FPS in games like KF1/L4D/CS:GO will most likely be around 50-70 depending on settings.

However battlefield 4/GTA 5 will have to be played at pretty low settings to get 30fps.

3. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    this, high speed ram is great with apus. but games wont run great, save a bit more and get a dedicated graphics card. and also get a new psu if the one you have is no name or low quality

4. Forebode

Forebode Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    williamholden2,

Perhaps you should post performance in specific game requirements at what settings. It would possibly save you a bunch of time picking out parts. That way you might land on the conclusion that you can/cant with specific hardware.

5. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    update, i understand that your on a tight budget, so ive decided to build a pc on pcpartpicker for around 400 pounds because it will be worth it over spending 350 pound http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ms2LRB, as for os go to g2a or something like reddit.

6. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A

Yeah, seen that video before, what RAM speed would you recommend, 1866, 2133 or 2400 what should I pick? Also, would it be necessary to buy another stick of RAM for the games I will be playing?

7. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Thanks for the build, will keep these parts in mind for future, but I am going to have to save about £90 for the monitor and £30 for the Windows 8.1 CD-KEY from G2A.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I will probably be playing CS:GO, L4D and KF1-2 at mostly low to medium settings, I am not really one for eye candy, I am just interested in smooth gameplay. Gameplay > quality.

9. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    no problem

10. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    So I have added up all the parts (including the monitor and OS) and it's coming in at 270 pounds, and I still have 80 pounds left, I am going to buy instead of a single 4GB 1600Mhz module, an 8GB 1866Mhz module, which then the build will only be 283 pounds. I might OC the RAM to 2133 or 2400, but it might not be necessary. Now I will need a keyboard and mouse, and I still have quite a bit of money left, so I can buy some proper peripherals, (NOT those cheap, rubbish £20 bundles you find on Amazon)

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Buy 2 rams sticks for dual channel, 1 stick will be in single channel, though dont know much about amd cpu`s.

12. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Why should I go dual channel? Is there any difference in performance or anything? Because a single module of 8GB is cheaper than 2 modules of 4GB.

13. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    And actually yeah with the money I have left I think I might just get an EVGA 500W or Corsair 430W.

14. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    dual channel is better. there will be better performance increase and no stutters in games

15. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Ok thanks for the info.

16. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    no problem