Win10 ssd perf OK Hdd NOT

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Weesni, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    So i run win 10 since release.
    Benchmarks with diskmark64 had show nice results for my ssd/hdd.
    But now only my ssd/s reach peak performance in benchmark (550(350)mb/rw)
    Hdds feels slower and went down from 120 mb/s read to 75 mb/s read but WHY?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Severe free-space fragmentation on the drive? Also are you running the latest SATA AHCI driver, just the one that comes with Windows, or some older version? Z77 is well and capable enough to run the latest AHCI drivers (which literally supports Z77 as a function of the driver), you just have to manually install it through device manager as the 'Intel 8 Series'.

3. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Really intel 8 series for 7 series (z77) board?
    If i try to install latest intelrst it says no compatible hardware found...

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    might have to use older iRST IF i use anything higher then 12 series I get no hardware found and it wont installed there for ineed to stick to 11 series to get iRST

5. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok i have the latest working ahci driver for my board v13.1.0.1058, have defragmented hdd and also error checked with chkdsk /f and now have 80mb/s in diskmark. if i manually copy a large file to my ssd it shows 60 to 70mb/s.
    Something must have changed because i was happy to have 120 mb/s on diskmark with fresh win10 install versus 99 mb/s with win7.
    Also strange is that my 2 ssds perform at peak as they should...

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't install it via the setup program unless you need RAID, it installs the monitoring app you don't need. To install on 7 series you have to manually select it through device manager and then accept the may not be compatible notification.

It's perfectly safe to use on 7 series, as is the 14.6.x ROMS for people who like modding bioses. The controller is apparently 'the same' as the 8 series. I believe the controller changed between 6 and 7 series, just like the memory controller changed between Sandy and Ivy.

7. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok installed the ahci driver thanks for the tip.
    But still my hdds are slow max is 80mb/s on benchmark i already free up many gb and do a full defrag, dont know what cause this.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    What exact make and model is the HDD you are talking about? Is it getting old? Maybe needs an RMA? You can also check the health of the drive using CrystalDiskInfo if you haven't yet.

9. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    My to hdds are WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (WD-WCAZAE449927) and WDC WD6400AAKS-00H2B0 (WD-WCASY6396544)
    smart status on both all ok.
    The weird thing is that on fresh install they read 120mb/s and now only 90mb/s and 68mb/s.
    I also find no task or something that eats up hdd bandwidth.
    My idea is that something f*** up via the recent os updates but also controller driver seems make no difference from default to newest.
    I hoped some of you had the same problem to solve this easier but for now i dont know what it is.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well, it seems like the drives are okay. The only hard drive issue I've had since moving to Win10 is that my 500GB 5+ year old Samsung drive would never stop clicking. At first I thought it just happened to die after I moved to Win10, but going back to Win7 allowed the drive to work perfectly.

I ended up having to switch to a WD Black as my storage drive and I use the old Samsung as an external for my Xbox. I tried 6 different SATA/AHCI drivers on Win10 and I could never get my Samsung to work.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my st35000410as drive (40% of 468gb used) 116mb/90mb read/write in AS SSD benchmarks. which is actual faster then what i got in win 7 using same irst drivers i used in win 7 (f6flpy-x64 11.7.0.1013.) which i think was last official set for my board. I never tested with win10 defualt drivers. both drive 1k aligment according to AS SSD ( as i never really figure out how to get 4k aligment done i just let windows disk manager do partion before installing anything on to it) I always thought these new drives came partion 4k or windows by default made it 4k when it did the partion, but it seem to do 1k imo experience.

AS SSD defaults to 1 gb files size test, crystal mark x64 default to 100mb at lest for me, but under same 1gb file size test they both show the same speeds give or take.

Samsung magician show that same drive HDD as in 60mb range if not slower. all the benchmarks show my SSD as 275/250mb which about right for my sata II limited system.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015