problem updating driver with Win XP

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rcgldr, Sep 2, 2015.

1. rcgldr

rcgldr Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 780 Ti
    On Windows XP, I get NVIDIA Installer failed when trying to update a GeForce driver. I bought a PNY GeForce 780 Ti triple fan video card about a month ago. Prior to that, I had an AMD video card installed. I have a backup of the Windows XP partition after uninstalling the AMD driver but before installing any NVidia driver. If I restore the Windows XP partition to a "pre-Nividia" state, I'm able to install a driver. So far this has worked with 353.62, 355.60, and 355.82.

However, if I try to update the driver, I get NVIDIA installer failed. If I uninstall the driver and try a reinstall, I get the same failure. I tried using the guru32 ddu (device driver uninstall) utility in safe mode, but that didn't solve the problem either. I'm stuck having to restore the XP partition back to it's "pre-Nvidia" state in order to install a driver.

My system is triple boot: Win XP Pro, Win XP Pro X64, Win 7 Pro (64 bit) (separate partitions / hard drives)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    try use DDU or boot into safe mode to install the driver. disable internet before using DDU. try again until it works. i believe it clash with ur previous AMD driver.

3. rcgldr

rcgldr Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 780 Ti
    As mentioned, I already tried DDU. I had the impression that safe mode wouldn't work, but I tried it to confirm that it didn't work.