Metal Gear Solid 5 confirmed for PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I wanna use my ps3 controller, but it annoys me that it's not officially supported, so I have to translate the xbox icons on the fly all the time.

If I knew how to mod I'd just replace the icon pictures with matching ps3 ones.

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
  3. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    if I could find my damned Xbox360 controller (for PC) I'd use it...
    I'm not sure where the hell it went lol

somewhere around here... ugh.

however, M+KB seemed to work well on GZ

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Aiming with the KB/M will be much easier especially if you turn off auto aim help. Tbh it wasn't too bad playing Ground Zeroes with KB/M on PC.

5. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    I preordered a few days ago and my hype levels are off the charts. I might even get up a few hours earlier than normal tomorrow to get it downloaded and maybe try it out for an hour or so before work :D

6. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That's something that's always bothered me. Personally, I've thought of modifying the guide button of a dualshock to be a Steam icon, and the buttons to be XBOX labeled. Wonder if anyone has ever done that, though.

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I'll be def starting my pc before work and hopefully when i return downloads are finished.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't believe I have clocked over 18 hours on the PS4 version already and I've only done six missions (though the last one I ended up doing twice because for some reason the gunship didn't trigger nor did one of the mission objectives, likely something I did rather than a bug in the game). Game is 5% complete (campaign 11%). I have been doing a lot of the side quests though and spending time developing the Mother Base, which I've now expanded with four new sections. The end of mission six was especially good, being a kind of boss fight (which I died the first time doing).

The way you can recruit enemy soldiers to man your base (kind of weird really when you think about it...) is a really neat feature because it means I want to play stealthily and use my tranq gun rather than go in all guns blazing and kill everyone (not that does not happen from time to time!). Also, collecting plants and containers for resources and gun emplacements to sell means that I am encouraged to look in every room and every corner. There are even posters to collect!

The Afghanistan area does get a bit dull and samey though - unsurprisingly it's all brown, dusty and rocky with the odd tree - and it is hard to tell whether I have been to certain places before or not. That's not to say there isn't variety in the main mission objectives and locations, just that there are a lot of smaller guard outposts that seem the same and you usually have to pass by them on the way to the objective. Also, the missions are played within enclosed areas and if you stray too far then you are warned to turn back otherwise you fail the mission and it resets to the last checkpoint.

That disappointed me a bit because I have a tendency to want to explore and while there are usually more than one route to an objective and the area you are restricted to is big enough for some exploration, it does make the game feel more like a series of levels (actually seperated by loading screens and credits) than an open world game. However, I did notice a free roam option under Missions earlier (I think that has just unlocked) so that presumably gives the player a more open experience where you can just wander around to your heart's content. I hope to check that out tomorrow.

One other think I have noticed is how quiet Snake is. Given he want he had been through I guess it is not that surprising but considering he is voiced by Kiefer Sutherland then I thought there would be a lot more dialogue than there has been. The reality is that is 18 hours of gameplay Snake has barely uttered more than a dozen brief lines. He doesn't answer even when people ask him questions (this does seem odd IMO).

Game is awesome though and currently second only to The Witcher 3 for my Game of the Year (it may possibly surpass it, time will tell).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I thought about why the missions are enclosed, to stop you doing something that isn't expected. Going over a mountain missing out half of the map, or going a different route making it far easier. Plus with it enclosed it allows the missions to be more dynamic because you are forced to go down one route to the objective. There are so many different ways you can approach positions with good planning. I also like the way the game forced you to search around for resources while in missions. Making you get close to enemies and taking big risks.

The tapes you unlock have a lot of background info to listen too.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    According to the game guide you have to buy MB coins with real money if you want to reduce the grind for upgrading your base in single player http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1104842
    One of the upgrades is 120 hours eek

that leaves a bad taste in my mouth with this game

Iim sure PC version will have a crack, pirate version will be the definitive edition lol

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

11. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Will I be lost if that last MGS solid game I played was Metal Gear Solid on the original playstation?

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 175W
    Looks like i'll be wasting some money on tho's microtransactions, i'm a sucker for them.

13. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Oh c'mon, just a couple of hours on YouTube will fix you good. In this case, just concentrate on MGS3 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes, in that order. You can afford to skip the Portable Ops because story wise, it has less materials to do with what's on TPP than those I highlighted.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    1hr to start downloading

15. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    It has started. 15%

16. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Hey guys, I wonder if I can really use the Steam app to remotely initiate the download? I do leave my PC on and Steam online before I leave for work, alas the download percentage still @ 0%...

EDIT @1230hrs: correction, refresh the list and it says "ready to play", download finished...guess it does pay to have fiber optics broadband...

17. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it's happening baby

20% done , 20 minutes to go

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    20.3 GB downloading now :)

Is that all? 20GB ?

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it's 25gb after unpacking i think

20. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Well I won't know for sure until I get back home 6 hours later, and I do remember something about the Day One patch that unlocks the multiplayer elements...don't know if that applies to the PC version as well?