Phononic HEX 1.0 is a solid-state CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Phononicoffers cooling and heating with SilverCore solid-state technology, introduces a new and innovative, high-performance solid-state CPU Cooler. The Phononic model HEX 1.0 is the first in a series...

Phononic HEX 1.0 is a solid-state CPU Cooler

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That diagram made me laugh so hard.

3. spex_2

spex_2 Guest

GPU:
    a
    hmm after reading this, i still don't get it why this thing should be good at all.

what is a "Phononic solid-state heat pump" ?

if they could explain this "thing" a bit more in detail, how it works and so on, well - i may consider this cooler.

all i see i buzzword sauce.

and i wont track down the info on the internet. do your commercial right, or don't make a commercial at all.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Exactly!
    "solid-state heat pump" means "a metal rod"

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    It's a buzzword since they have a patent. It's probably just some Peltier cooler that more efficient or some thing like that.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They're setting an MSRP of $140? Unless that thing cools with the fury of Poseidon they're coo coo for coco puffs. That ends up being about $208 here, that's how much higher end closed loop AIW water coolers cost. They need to spew out less hilarious buzzwords and give more actual information.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't get why anybody should get that thing, besides keeping to a certain height limit inside the case (I would say buy a new case then).

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The cooling performance isn't record breaking if compared to closed-loop water coolers, which are far bigger and require mounting the heatsink somewhere in your case.

The overall concept seems sound though, actively cooling the CPU using thermoelectrics instead of just dissipating heat like every other cooler might work out quite decently.
    If this thing gets funded, we might see proper reviews at some point, and I for one am eager to see them properly tested. Who doesn't want a smaller cooler with better performance!

9. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Pre order, funny guys. Let's see some reviews and comparisons first. And let them make a big version, as big as the biggest coolers and then see what kind of performance it has.
    And does their heat pump need power or only the fan?
    And I was disappointed that it uses a fan as it said solid state, so I thought it was a solid cooler, but I suppose the fan shuts down when idle hence the state behind solid.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I thought it was an SSD Cooler, like WTF? :p

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    We've seen Peltier effect coolers before, and they were never impressive. I'm not overly optimistic about this. I just find it incredibly lame that they would target an audience that obviously know a lot about their hobby, but then they use buzzwords as if they're advertising to laymen.

Who wants to buy some solid state air? I have it patented.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I like my closed loop cooler because it takes the heat straight out of the case. I happen to have a silent type case with insulation material.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My Noctua NH-U14S also exhausts directly out of my Case, because i have it mounted in Horizontal position.

14. rpjkw11

rpjkw11 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 1080Ti
    I'll wait for the reviews. If this "thing" ever gets that far.

15. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Like others have said, I'm betting this is some kind of peltier device that has active voltage control that attempts to keep the cold side warm enough to not cause condensation. Ive thought about the same thing on numerous occasions, that is, using a peltier not to freeze the damn cpu, but just move a tad more heat a tad more quickly to the radiators (or water block, as the case may be for some folk.)

16. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I'm not convinced that sandwiching a peltier between two set of heatpipes would even work as intended.

The heatpipes have to have some heat source to "pump" the heat to the cooling fins.

If you cool the one set of pipes to right above ambient, I would think that it would affect the efficiency in a negative way.

And you would also effectively only have a single tower design instead of a dual tower design. All you would really be doing in that case is transferring the heat that would be removed by the primary tower to the secondary tower and adding in extra heat from the peltier.

Maybe this is some different design.

17. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Well, notice that the "diagram" shows cold air being pulled in, not that it cools the air as it is pulled in. If I had to guess, I'd say that both fin/heatpipe sections are atop the peltier, both hot.
    I could be wrong though, of course.

Addendum: Looking closely at the "diagram" again, it looks liek you are correct. It appears that the intake side heatpipes are indeed above the output side, in a section large enough to enclose a peltier.

That would suggest that the intake side is the heated side, while the output is the cooled side, which makes no sense.

Yeah, looking at this thing makes zero sense, actually, unless the diagram is purposely misleading and nebulous to discourage people from trying to figure it out or copy it.

18. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    like the idea looking forward to seeing how this develops, maybe even gpu cooling

19. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
  20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If this thing functions like a refrigerator, where is the drip pan?