Battlefield 4 and Windows 10 - Sudden sound/framerate stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SlackerITGuy, Aug 18, 2015.

1. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    So I've been on Windows 10 pretty much since its release, it's been good so far, but one thing that is getting to me is a sudden stutter while playing Battlefield 4, under Mantle and DirectX 11.1, the game plays perfectly 99% percent of the time, but every now and then, I get these stutters that last for about 10 secs or so. The framerate stutters but so does the sound.

Anyone getting this?

2. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    Yup, its like the driver is crashing hard but then recovers after about 10 sec's but the game play in BF4 Directx is the best it's been since the game came out on my setup so I will put up with it. Mantle crashes since Win 10 upgrade.

BaNsHiE

3. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    went back to BF4 for windows 10 now since i finished witcher 3 and got no game to play and gotta say that I experience smooth gameplay.

Mantle crossfire 290
    Xonar Phoebus for sound
    Integraded something something ROG sound on my Hero VII for microphone ( that mic port on xonar is useless)

if youre using onboard sound I heard realtek has some win 10 drivers on their own site right now.

4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah my issue exactly. This is what I've been trying to explain. it happens mainly in BF4. Dude you made my day cause now i know it's not my system.

5. ibfr33k

ibfr33k Guest

GPU:
    Asus Fury X
    I hadn't been on Windows 10 long ( about 4 days) but so far I have not got any stuttering or anything on BF4. I play it almost every night and hadn't had any issues at all. But I don't use the onboard, I use a Razer Kraken 7.1 classic.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I think it has nothing to do with sound as I'm running sound blaster z. It has more to do with the games or the AMD drivers. Maybe crossfire comes to mind. but the op doesn't have crossfire according to his specs but it could also be a GCN 1.0 issue

7. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    it's not the os because i been playing battlefield on every preview till final release not a single crash or issues with fps

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Again you have r9 290 that's gcn 1.1

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    SearchFilterHost.exe.

Whenever I've had something like that happening, it was that thing running at the exact same time. If you have ProcessLasso, disable ProBalance, it has helped in my case. Also it seems that the Windows 10 driver is doing something different with memory management on the GPU (hence the bug I found with AC Unity, where under Windows 8.1 I was getting a small hitch now and then whenever I had Ultra Textures enabled, but under Windows 10 I got my framerate cut in half). Try to lower a bit things that might use more memory with your GPU.

10. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Wow, that's too bad mate, I've been able to run BF4 using Mantle without crashes so far, well, only when exiting the game, and that only happens some times.

They do, but they're outdated, when I did my clean install of Windows 10, I downloaded the latest ones from Microsoft Update Catalog, or whatever its called, they were much newer than the ones posted on the official website.

Yeah same here, I actually didn't expect these many replies, thanks guys.

It doesn't look like a sound driver issue since you have a Sound Blaster soundcard and I'm currently on my onboard Realtek one.

Has to be something with BF4 itself, or with the AMD driver (more likely).

Wow that sucks mate.

SearchFilterHost.exe is a part of Windows Search am I right?

If so then that shouldn't be the problem since I have Windows Search disabled completely. Thanks for the reply though.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have noticed that in general Windows 10 are much more "interventionist" when you do stuff, their background task host service is much more aggressive.

As for the sound card, try to play by locking it at 16bit/48Khz, and absolutely get the driver from the Realtek website instread of Windows Update.

12. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I noticed that it only happens in certain maps. For example zavod 311.

13. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    Taking the subjestion of disabling "Windows Search" in Services has limited the problem to just once every 2.5 hrs. And even then it only lasted 3 sec.
    I am running 3 7970's in trifire and 3 monitors in eyinfinty, onboard Realtek sound with newest drivers.

BaNsHiE

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you use something like ProcessLasso, you can set backgroundtaskhost.exe to a permanent lower priority. Also try setting your sound card to 16/48.

15. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    you guys found a fix for this ? disabling windows search didnt work for me

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No issues here.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I haven't had it for a long time too. It's backgroundtaskhost that was the problem for me, and I used ProcessLasso to force it to a lower priority.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I can't see it.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I added it manually.

20. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I've been getting this as well since I upgraded to Windows 10.

I can tell you it's not AMD's fault, It happens to me on a GTX980Ti as well, so I guess it's game/OS related!