Samsung 850 pro !!!

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by kens30, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    It has been almost one month since i bought a brand new Samsung 850 pro 128gb for OS came with latest firmware.

At first when i saw the package it said made in china?
    I thought all their ssd's are made in house..

I am just curious when i read the S.M.A.R.T data with various apps, i don't understand how i have already got these values below

Reallocated sector count = 10
    Used Reserved Block Count (total) = 10
    Program Fail Count (total) = 10
    Erase Fail Count (total) = 10
    Runtime Bad Count (total) = 10

I have had a few power failures total of 7 but kept checking the S.M.A.R.T data for any damage that might have done. Everything was good.

Today i thought i would check the S.M.A.R.T data and i saw the values i posted above.
    I know i have a 10 year warranty for this SSD but i find it strange to have 10 reallocated sectors already.
    My 840 pro is still going strong without any reallocated sectors and it has o total of 124 power loss failures,
    makes me wonder if this series is actually having issues with their new 3D nand.

Does anyone with own this SSD and tell me their opinion about this? as well their reallocated sector count.

I would gladly appreciate it.

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X
    I have the 850 Pro 250gb and have zero issues.

You said you have had power outages, I assume you do not have a UPS.

We get power outages and brownouts this time of year and I run a UPS. 45 Minutes just surfing and 10 minutes when gaming. Keeps the surges from screwing my stuff up.

I have seen stuff die on a good brownout or or surge.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm running my game installations on a 850pro 512GB, did not experience any troubles or power outages so far.
    I'll check the smart status of my disk later today when I'm home.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I checked now, my SSD 850pro 512GB, and the smart check via Hard Disk Sentinel showed the exact same numbers. My drive just as yours is still running strong without any reasons to complain on my side, and the program show's a drive health of 100%. I personally wouldn't worry about it, probably check once in a while or once a year, if you don't experience any troubles that is.

To further calm your worries or curiosities, I'm running a 850evo 120GB as a system disk for the OS, and I've put in the old gaming disk, being a Cruicial M4 256GB SSD.

The 850evo shows exactly the same numbers, besides the runtime bad block state, whereas my 850evo hat a all time low of 99 and a current of 100, while the 850pro shows 100/100. The M4 shows a relocated sectors count of 10/100 too.

Mind you, the 10 is the threshold limit, and as I get it, it's the lowest number your drive can reach before being practically inoperational, or defect, and definately a case for RMA if within warranty. So, as far as I can say, actually the second number (and third probably) are the ones to look out for, as they will get lower and come closer to the threshold limit being 10, for instance. I tend to look at the wear level count for my drive's general health, and in all my three SSDs it shows all health left (100 on the M4, 99 as a max on both 850pro and evo).

Hope that helped. :)

5. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
  6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Those values in the first post seem to be the threshold values (for warning?). My current and worst values are all 100 and raw 0 for those listed, atm after 2 years on 840 Pro.