3D mark ignoring overclock, Devs point finger at AMD.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lorikano, Aug 12, 2015.

1. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    There seems to be a problem with 3dmark ignoring overclock. This problem has been going on for a pretty long time and AMD has yet to do anything to fix it. Basically whenever I set higher Gpu clocks ,3dmark will run the benchmark at stock clocks (900mhz).
    See old thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/626329821151245588/

Devs blames AMD.

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I don't think 3DMark (any versions up to this date) will try to control any clock speeds in any way but merely detect them (and even that happens with relatively safe high-level methods rather than low-level hooks, I think).

My guess is that 3DMark (just like any D3D software, especially if it supports and it is set to run in full screen exclusive mode rather than [borderless or bordered-]windowed mode) might (not necessarily but possibly) resets the display mode (for various reasons including making sure the frame rate enforced by hardware Vsync will be in perfect sync/schedule with the display refresh rate, so motion presentation is as smooth as possible) and that causes your clock speeds to reset to their defaults as a side effect (not necessarily but it's possible depending on the software/method you use to control the clock speeds).

So, I guess you should try to set/force your OC clocks with some other software/method than you currently use. Take a look at AfterBurner and it's unofficial overclocking modes, preferably the "unofficial OC without PowerPlay (only for testing purposes if you don't think you definitely want this and only at your own risk anyway!).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Which benchmark, or all of them?

4. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

This is what I said in another thread regarding this issue :

5. normal3e

normal3e Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x 2gb CFX
  6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, bull****..i don't have this problem. On screen display show the correct CPU/MEM clock and the details page for the test show correct also.
    It's just like with cars, most of the time the problem sits between the steering wheel and the seat.

7. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Was able to fix the problem by using Msi afterburner the problem seems to be with 3dmark UI interface ,it glitches alot.
    Anyway here are my results in DX12 only API Overhead test:
    Went from ~11.000.000(stock) to ---> 16.121.261 (oc) core 1150 ,mem 1500.
    Great results :banana:

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    glad you did mate, what where you using to overclock before? when you had the issues?

9. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Sapphire Trixx.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I was like "i don't have this issue" then again I always used afterburner to oc and clocks where there :)

11. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, always use afterburner :)

12. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Well guys, I have this issue & I only ever use AB for OC...

I do not have unofficial OC enabled, but I do have extended clocks...

My GPU is running at 1200 core, 1480 mem, 1.238volts, Max temp 62c (rock solid stable)...

However, no matter what I do, DX12 api overhead always runs at default 1050 core, 1200 mem...

It is obvious that there is a big issue somewhere, but nailing down those responsible, for the purpose of fixing it, is proving to be quite a task :bang:

Any suggestions on how I can force the clocks for the test would be much appreciated... My GPU is an Overclocking beast (suppose I was lucky as others with this card report mediocre results with regard to OC), so would really like to see how it performs at my OC clocks compared against my default clocks...

Stay breezy n be lucky :thumbup:

Peace :toke:

13. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Im finding dx12 test to be very unstable with results ranging from ~14-16.
    I'd suggest you wait for Ashes of singularity dx12 benchmark that is releasing tomorrow 13th August. :)

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I wasn't under the impression that gpu clocks had a significant impact on the API tests to begin with.
    This whole thing kinda smells. Sorry to those whom it affects though.

15. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Can confirm I have this bug, before upgrading to Windows 10 I was netting over 7500 on FireStrike, now after upgrading, it only runs at stock 880/1250 and gets me around 6600. Probably a driver bug, other games are fine.

16. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    7500?! Nice! I'm rolling in at 7100 right now. Wish I could hit 1150 on the core!
    We have the same card, so I'd agree it must be a driver issue. Are you using 15.7.1? RTSS running?

17. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Yep, 15.7.1 with MSI AfterBurner handling the overclocking. My best score was:
    [​IMG]

I may try Suicide run 8000 one day!