2 780 Tis vs 1 980 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rolldog, Aug 3, 2015.

1. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yeah, let me re phrase that : i would get 1 980ti, you wont have to deal with sli problems and you get more vram, but in the future if you could cope with those issues that may come your way in sli, you could get extra performance with two 980ti's

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You keep mentioning sli problems, which cards did you have a problem with?

3. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    well it wasnt me whose had these, issues, one of my friends had two 980s and had massive issues in sli with games like gta 5, in which he would get artifacts and flickering/stuttering, the issue is since gone, but a few other people would get these issues near launch. sorry when i say i now from experience this was what i ment :grin:

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That game is also in Early Access and is a buggy mess in general.

5. rolldog

rolldog Guest

GPU:
    2 x Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB
    Well, I've been running my 780 Tis in SLI and haven't had any problems.

If I decide to go ahead and buy a 980 Ti, which model card should I go with? I plan on watercooling it, so stock coolers don't make a difference for me since I'll be removing it. The reference 980 Ti runs a clock speed of 1000Mbps out the box, but I've seen others that run as high as 1315Mbps out the box. I just don't want to buy a reference card, it have a crappy chip, and it won't even OC to 1315. Any suggestions on brand of 980 Ti?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Reference can get to 1500 as per review here. I got the gaming cards. 1 980ti is a downgrade in gpu power from your cards. I had 780ti sli up until a month ago.

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd say the only real probs with sli are heat and noise related really, and those are pretty large ones.

Still wishing for single cards with dual gpu... :infinity:

980ti also :)

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    been rocking SLI since 8800ultra days, and never had any issues, even jumped to TRI SLI still no issues at all, I personally would go for one 980TI (much cooler, less power hungry and DX12 support and overclocks like a beast) and sell your old 780ti's, and when you need the power, you can always grab another 980TI, plus with DX12 on the way, it only make sense to upgrade to 980TI.

brand wise, I have a Palit GeForce GTX 980Ti Super Jetstream, in another system and it overclocks pretty well 1442mz on core, and 7800mz on the memory, and its pretty cheap compared to the other 980 ti's

there also a review for the card here on

Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream Review - Overclocking The Graphics Card

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  9. rolldog

rolldog Guest

GPU:
    2 x Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB
    Is it true that when looking at the ASIC quality on GPUs, a higher ASIC number is only beneficial if running on air and if I have my card watercooled, then an ASIC of 70% or so would be preferable?

Also, are all the 980 Tis using a reference PCB, so when looking for a waterblock, any 980 Ti (same PCB as Titan X minus memory on the backside) should work?

10. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090

No, there are ton of none reference PCB's for the 980 TI, when buying the card it should say if its reference design, so you will have to find a waterblock based on whatever card you buy. EK normally cover most brands so shouldn't be much of an issue.

The joy of getting the 980TI is the custom PCB, that should improve overclocking.

and about ASIC iv never paid much attention to it, I don't find it very accurate for the Maxwell architecture.

for example all 3 of my Titan x score ASIC 62%-63%, and on air I was able to overclock them to 420+ on the core and 500+ on memory(custom bios) and on water I was able to push the core to 480+ and 500+ memory, iv seen people with better ASIC score than my titans and get less overclock with the same custom bios than I do, I believe for the Kepler architecture ASIC was useful. but for Maxwell for my personal experience not so much.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

11. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    ill keep my titants or 780 tis in your case OP for longer. see what's coming next

12. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    I'm keeping mine for as long as I can, squeeze maximum bang for buck out of them. I haven't had a reason to upgrade yet and I certainly haven't had SLI problems.

13. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Recently switched from 670 SLI to Geforce 980, if I had the money I would have went for 980ti but I still think it was a good upgrade and I can always add another 980 further down the line, I hate to say it but I think Kepler has had it's day and the way Nvidia is going I suspect Maxwell doesn't have long either but if I was you I'd sell both 780ti's and switch to 980ti then add another later on, if you're wanting to upgrade I think it's worth the hassle to keep your system current.