Win10 (Windows Update) - Prevent Installing Nvidia Drivers!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shadowdane, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    This has been killing me every since I installed Windows 10... damn Nvidia driver kept on resinstalling nearly every day! :( But I found a solution and it works, no more annoying auto-installs of Nvidia Drivers from Windows Update!! This tweak basically blocks any Update that starts with "NVIDIA". I tried it out by completely uninstalling my Nvidia driver and running Windows Update.. it didn't even attempt to download or install it. :banana:

If you have Win10 Pro you'll already have PowerShell installed, if you have the Home Edition download & install PowerShell from the link below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46889

Next you'll need to download the Windows Update PowerShell Modules, grab it from here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

Unzip the file you downloaded and move the "PSWindowsUpdate" folder to: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

------
    Now launch PowerShell as an Administrator.
    (Quick PowerShell tip... use the "Tab" key to auto-complete commands. Hit tab a few times to see what options are available.)

By default PowerShell is setup to restrict any scripts which require admin privileges. You'll need to set it to Unrestricted mode to install the modules and run the WindowsUpdate commands.

Set PowerShell to Unrestricted Mode, using the command below.
    > Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted CurrentUser
    - Answer yes to the next prompt.

Now to install the WindowsUpdate PS Modules, type this command at the PowerShell command line. (You'll only need to do this once.)
    > Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate

Next you'll type the command to hide Nvidia Updates.
    > Hide-WUUpdate -Title "NVIDIA*"
    (Now any update released starting with the name NVIDIA will be blocked/hidden.)

After completing these commands you'll want to set the Execution Policy back to restricted. This will return PowerShell to the default permissions level.
    > Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted CurrentUser

Remember if you need to run any further commands in PowerShell for WindowsUpdate you'll need to set it back to Unrestricted to run the commands.
    Get-WUList for example will fetch a list of pending updates, notice the "H" in the status column showing the Update is Hidden.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I'm pretty sure DDU will also do that for you.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Done ... thanks! :D I'll wait for the next WU driver release and hope it sticks.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    When u install win10, before u hook up to the internet, just disable Windows Update service, then do your work, install ur drivers, then re-enable it again and it will install only windows updates.

Simple as that, no need to hassle with other things.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I did that and it force-installed the same version of the driver because I didn't have the 3dvision component installed and ended up breaking the nv control panel >_<

6. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB
    I've always preferred installing my own drivers so I just went with disabling driver downloads from windows update using system properties. Maybe won't suit everyone as an option but I usually get all my drivers either from guru3d, station-drivers, necacom or manufacturers websites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Great topic, well explained and written.

While you can disable driver downloads on Windows Update under System Properties and policies, some drivers do still show up sometimes.
    And since we have no way ( yet ) to select the updates we want from a list, this is a nice thing to do on top of the tweaks above, and there should be no reason not to do it.

Also, for those that still havent, I would change the "Configure Automatic Updates" under Gpedit ( Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update ) to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". That way you will have full control over your Windows Update and it wont download nor install any update without you reviewing it first.

8. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    That only works if no newer drivers ever pop in WU anymore.
    From my experience, I did disable Windows Update, installed the Nvidia driver I wanted, and after enabling it back, Windows Update installed another version on top of mine. So it does keep searching for updates even if you already have a driver installed.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have installed three PCs this way and so far it has worked out okay, except for that mandatory synaptic drivers install on my mother's laptop — but that's no big deal.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Guys, I'm pretty sure that once you install driver package from NV on top of the driver installed via WU - there will be no updates installed for that driver from WU. This is how it was in 7, 8 and 8.1 at least. So all you have to do is run the 353.62 installer from nvidia.com after you installed Win10 and did a couple of reboots to ensure that it got all the WU updates installed.

And after that you can simply install new drivers on top of 353.62. Well, at least I hope that it'll be like this. NV should release a new driver just for us to check it out.

11. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    to unhide

Hide-WUUpdate -Title "NVIDIA*" -HideStatus:$false

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    This explains all the failed installs... and then the succeeded one as soon as I unplugged my ethernet lol.

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

Yah I actually tried that.

But it was attempting to reinstall every day after doiing a clean install. I think because I was wasn't installing the 3D Vision drivers. Everytime it would reinstall the 3D Vision drivers would be reinstalled

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    From my experiences, and what I have read: windows completely ignores that setting.

I see you have a 670, I had the exact same problem. Nvidia control panel didnt break, the driver/windows reported a "code 43" in device manager, which prevented the control panel from opening correctly. It did this every time it updated to 353.62 via WU, after a restart.

My solution was to install 347.09 and disable the windows update service however, WU works fine again. There were 2 drivers pushed when I tried the other day. Both 353.62, one with a date of 7/22 and one with a date of 8/4 (only time I saw these dates were in WU while they were installing).

Now everything suddenly works again, 353.62 works fine now.

15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah I tried that option in DDU, but it didn't seem to do a thing. It was still trying to install the 980Ti driver.

That option is now gone in Windows 10.. I have it set to notify download & install, but it gives you no choice in the matter which updates are installed. All this does is show you what is about to be installed. At least this gives me the option to then hide anything I don't want before clicking Install.

[​IMG]

16. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Gpedit works. But DON'T tweak the OS to avoid MS's "spying". I did it and it broke automatic updates (had to reinstall). Windows likes to automatically download updates if you push the update button so the right way of "controlling" when to install stuff it's to wait for the notification. Device installation settings are ok, but if for some reason Windows tries to download NVIDIA drivers, stop windows update service (or disconnect your internet) and then use the official tool to hide the driver update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    yah i used that... but it only hides that individual update. The PowerShell method hides ALL Nvidia updates.

I tried that and it hide the first driver release (353.38), but the next update (353.62) showed up again in Windows update. It seems you'd have to run that tool each time a new update showed up.

18. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Sigh :(

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not that the OP's way to do it is wrong, but there is another way to work around it if the target is all device drivers.

To prevent Windows Update to auto install any device drivers at all (on Windows 10) you need to change the following via the group policy editor.
    Switching it off via the advanced System properties will not work on Windows 10, it has to be done via gpedit.msc as mentioned on Microsoft's forums.
    DDU (tested with v15.3.1.0) will not do the trick either, unless it has been updated to do so recently.

[​IMG]

If Windows Update already found a driver you will need to hide it as well.
    You can use Microsofts tool for it, which also makes it easier for other device drivers that have slipped trough before disabling WU from searching for them.

Official link to the KB article and download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

This tool hides drivers based on version number, so has to be used if Windows Update still tells that it has a new device driver even if you disabled device driver searching completely with the group policy editor.

[​IMG]

20. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Thanks OP yet wow...that is taking the LONG way around the barn. I did Jimmy's way along time ago and not once has windows tried to update and also used a small program called "DoNotSpy10" has somethings you can check off "disable" and updates are in there.

It asks you if you want to make a restore point 1st and you just UNcheck if want to go back. We should give credit where credit is due Op