UE4 Elemental Demo DX12

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CryZENx, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, obviously! :D

DX11 version runs faster on my system than the DX12 version. DX11 looks more impressive visually but has a lens flare bug. DX12 runs slower, looks inferior in terms of lighting but does not have the lens flare bug.

I am not sure what I was expecting to be honest. The 3DMark API overhead feature test suggests an 8 to 10 fold increase in polygon output but I realise that does not equate to a similar increase in framerate. However, I was expecting there to be a bigger difference in the framerate between DX11 and DX12. I was certainly not expecting the DX11 version to be faster! :3eyes:

This is definitely not a good demonstration of DX12, at least, not on my system it isn't.

2. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So is this 4.9.0 preview 2? I don't think it even has fully functional DX 12, it isn't integrated yet, yes?

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I think it's safe to say this is not a good representation of DX12. Wait for an official thing or something more solid. We all know that in its true form DX12 will give us superior fps and overhead efficiency.

Btw how do you turn on fullscreen for this thing? What's the command line for that? -fullscreen?

4. lantian

lantian Guest

thx for the demo

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I just pressed Alt-Enter while it loaded. The -fullscreen commandline definitely appears to work as well as I have just tried it. However, when pressing Alt-Enter from fullscreen the demo appears to be running in what looks to me like borderless window as opposed to proper fullscreen as it remains fullscreen but with the taskbar visible at the bottom.

How do you exit this demo? Pressing Alt-F4 does not seem to work until near the end of the demo.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I just alt-tab then kill with task manager

EDIT - Tilde key then type exit and hit enter works

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Extraordinary.

8. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Weird thing I see is higher FPS running this demo without the -D3D12 flag (obviously some bugged effects doing so) and outside is still the same framerate where as the original demo has low FPS outside so I cant be sure if it's actually dx12 giving the performance boost and more about engine optimizations since the original demo was first released.

It's the same story with the sun temple demo posted on reddit:

Clicky

TBH I don't think we are seeing the true capabilities of dx12 here, I feel we need something built from scratch for d3d12 rather than a -d3d12 flag and some prettier effects added.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No probs

Yea I think the same, DX12 is not working correctly IMO

10. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    You can use D3D10,11,12 mode :D

In D3D12 mode it performs a bit worse with a 750 Ti but the engine must be polished further and the drivers too! :D

CryZENx, is it possible to make a LOOP with the loop average FPS value, like the good old Unreal Nalicastle Flyby?

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I know it's very early engine but still disappointed it doesn't support crossfire. I'm also getting way lower dx12 performance than dx11 and I should get at least the same or a little bit better dx12 performance. This shouldn't even be posted on the internet cause this is not how dx12 games will act compared to dx11. Guess dx12 is still not finished at we can expect a year wait then for proper dx12 games.

12. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    WOW, why would they release THIS to show unreal engine directX 12 graphics. It's 4 years old stuff....If i would be with game development and epic would sell their engine with this DEMO, i'd never go with it...

13. rms

rms Guest

GPU:
    Radeon Vega 64 LC
    Just reporting I have the identical experience with framerate and graphical oddities as Darren on a Fury X

rms

14. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    It's not release by "them", it's a custom version by user CryZENx

15. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    what :p, i read that he improved graphics a bit .... the demo itself is worse.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The "Elemental" demo itself has been available as a stand-alone for some time now (It's one of the earlier UE4 showcases.) and it's also available for any UE4 engine release as a demonstration showcase free of charge.

As I understand it what this is is basically Unreal Engine 4.9 (Preview 1 or 2, I think it's preview 1) with this showcase added and then made stand-alone.

This allows for using the showcase with the latest engine revision which in this case is UE4.9 and use the new features such as demonstrating D3D12 but the implementation isn't finished yet and might not be until version 4.10 of UE4 or later. (I wouldn't expect the visuals to be much different but when it's finished there should be less glitches and improved performance.)

You can do the same with nearly any of the UE4 showcases besides "A Boy and His Kite" which I think still requires 4.8, might be upgraded to 4.9 compatibility once this version of the engine is fully tested. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  17. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I agree with you there, not to mention this was not developed to take advantage of dx12 from the ground up. I can't quite put my finger on it but the demos do look different somehow but i don't have a good enough eye

18. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    ~ key
    type stat fps for fps
    type Stat D3D12RHI

throw this in the shortcut for fullscreen
    -D3D12 -novsync -fullscreen
    to exit
    ~ and type exit
    as for me dx12 version runs a lot worse than the dx11 version

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  19. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Still any chance to see The Samaritan? :D

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Since a lot of people try to use this as an example of comparison between DX11 and DX12, please don't. Even if the engine properly supports DX12 (which it doesn't yet), this is a simple automatic recompile for the DX12 path. No game (hopefully) will ever be release like that, without hands-on tweaking.

It is a testament of the quality of the engine that this thing even runs.