GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Yeah was for very long but here in Finland price is about same now what it was at launch.

MSI 970
    Launch 389€
    Now 389€+game

2. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Average price here has a ~50 euros increase,mostly from shops that they have it available (idiots).
    There are some e-stores with minimum price at 392 euros but ofc not available for almost 3 weeks now (due to capital controls..)
    Hopefully (as store suppliers say) next week will start to come again and be available for ordering with a 4-7 days ETA.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I just remembered why the price hike happened. The dollar is stronger than it's been in a long time and my currency is doing really bad thanks to the lowered price of oil(our economy is tied to it). So the exchange rate between the two currencies have never been higher in my memory. Basically all importers in the country hiked up prices in December/January to adjust to this.

Thanks Obama :(

4. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    ive got a great msi twin frozr v 970, 1537 core clock on stock voltage, loving it. i agree on the cheap psus, i see too many people get cx series, they use cheap chinese samxom capacitors and hold up time doesnt meet atx spec.
    and i think that 530watt is enough even with oced gpu and cpu, ive seen it happen before. as long as its a decent unit i think your ok

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    In his case it's a crapy 450w unit.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Please tell me that is not an IDE ribbon cable??

If so.... my only question is...... WHY!??

Also please invest in some compressed air and clean out that bottom fan! Its thick with it!

Also upgrade that PSU, it looks like a stock OEM cheapo brand which is probably about to blow with that GPU on it.

7. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yes i know, im just saying that you dont need 650w, its the quality that matters the most

8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    IDE rules! :grab:

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I just purchased an MSI 970 Gaming to SLI with my 970 Gaming GE. Amazon was selling it for $299 US, I couldn't resist. It was at this price for less than a day. But no free game with it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Can't post installed pics, you know, Case police will get me.
    ASIC Quality Gaming = 69.5
    ASIC Quality Gaming GE = 81.1

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Very true.

I just built a small ITX rig and grabbed a Gigabyte GTX970 ITX card and its a beaut. Boosts to 1278MHz out the box, and the thing is TINY!!

Its barely longer than my ITX motherboard!!

It is also being powered by a 500W Silverstone SFX-L 80+GOLD PSU.

I could of even gotten away with the same PSU but 450W but I wanted a little more headroom.

These cards barely draw 200W even when overclocked.

No.... no it does not lol :p

11. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    IDE indeed, It's an old drive I use for storage, so old that yes I had to add a PCI IDE card to connect it.

On a side note I started to slowly OC this puppy last night and crappy PSU or not she's purring along at 1501/8100 up from 1329/7000. Feel like I could go a tiny bit higher but I rly don't need to. Great card.
    Nice card also Icanium.

12. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yeah, and if your not overclocking you might be able to do with even less than 450w, their stock tdp is 145w, and with the mini card, what are your temps like

13. tumira

tumira Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 Tiger OC
    @Icanium

Go to MSI reward program link, register your product and get Metal Gear Solid V for free! Limited time only...

Anyway just bought MSI GTX970 Tiger OC. Upgraded from ATI HD5870 VaporX :banana: Been using this old card since maybe 2009. Really serve me well until it died..

One thing that I noticed were the video quality on my old ATI card is better(using MPC-HC ) It was the first thing I noticed after upgraded. It's a bit blurry or something. Not sure if I need to tweak something or not...

14. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Great first post. Welcome to guru3D

15. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    even if it is doing nice overclocks, if its a crappy psu i wouldnt risk it. you dont want an explosion do you?

16. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    So I finally got the time to set up my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G's. First of all, wonderfull performance! 24,5K in Firestrike and 60 FPS smooth maxed GTA V is nothing to complain about so far. Problem is that the top GPU (rev 1.1) reaches 80c quite easily when stressed by games like DA:I and TW3, second GPU (rev 1.3) reaches 73. At those temps the fans really "blow" (yeah sad attempt at puns). Do you guys have any tips? Would be very much appreciated!

PS: Cable management is top-notch and the cards have 1 slot space between them.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You generally want blower style reference cards for SLI setups for this reason. One thing you can try is installing an angled fan connected to the HDD cage, or the side panel to help push air through to the top card. You also want a negative pressure bias in your case (more exhaust than intake) to ensure all that air is getting pulled out.

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Yeah I know reference blower cards would have been the way to go. I never considered SLI after several years of major issues, scaling and heat (same goes for crossfire) so I bought the MSI 970. I'll give the fan on the side panel a try, weird mounting holes and measurements, might not fit (Silencio 652S).

Front fans are intake blowing over the HDD's & SSD's, fan below blows upwards and the fans in the top and rear exhaust. Luckily my 2600 only needs 1,12v for 3800 with an PLL of 1,6 so I can pull heated air through the CPU cooler and exhaust it.

Thanks so far! I'll give it a shot tomorrow, 12PM here.

19. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Give the side fan a try, 180/200 mm fan. When I SLI'ed my GTX, I had to replaced my side window with 4 x 120mm fans.
    My top cards goes to 70C and the bottom 60C.

20. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    I own the same 4k screen and card setup. Makes for great gaming.