Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In my experience XP was turd but Windows 2000 Pro was one of their best products ever.

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Have a crippling bug on my HP TouchSmart... The on screen keyboard will NOT appear on the login screen when disconnected from the keyboard.. ie: When using it as a tablet.. I can't sign into Windows unless I dock it to the keyboard first..

Edit: Hmm now it's working... After changing the keyboard size

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They are angry because Microsoft finally blocked the API called to change the default application file formats and protocols, so the user had to change the browser by his will and not by some shenanigans installers.
    And this is good.
    Firefox users who really wanted to use Firefox will continue to use Firefox as I continue to use Opera as my main browser.

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I for one am impressed how smooth the upgrade process went and how well everything works(for me) so much so I'm not bothering to do a clean install at least for the foreseeable future.We'll see if anything crops up but I have tried most things I do on a regular basis and it's all fine.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Same here, was prepared for a total system meltdown but nothing bad happened. As of yet *knocks on wood*.

I left the installer running after downloading, then went away from my PC for a cup of coffee and whatnot.
    To my surprise I was greeted with the Windows 10 login screen when I got back.
    Instead of "Oops, something went wrong and the harddrive has been erased".

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    decided to upgrade my office pc before windows 10 install. can I do a clean install on to new SSD or do I need to install windows8 upgrade it to 8.1 then upgrade to 10pro

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I had to disable all explorer notifications to get rid of those annoying drive full notifications.

Anyone know if its possible to create a control panel shortcut on the taskbar? Hate how to access it, best I get is icon one explorer windows

8. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    The same way you did before

Open control panel, right click the icon in the taskbar.. Pin to taskbar.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    why not right mouse click on start button ?

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, just saw that
    i managed to pin it to the taskbar, prefer that :)

Cheers, yeah, my main gripe was its not on the start menu but i see that can be configured too. Seeing as im spending a lot of time with it until i get everything setup better on the taskbar :)

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Annoying Windows 10 bug No. 99!

You can set the default save locations for your Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music in Settings > System > Storage. I changed this from the default C drive to I, which is where my media is located (in I:\Users\Darren\ to be exact).

By default, Windows will set the C drive to C:\Users\Public but I changed this to avoid having two Music, Documents, Videos and Picture folders when I select my personal folder (Darren).

This Settings location can only be specified by drive though not folder which means that on my PC if I set the Music save location to the I:\ drive and then copy a file to, say, the Music library then Windows 10 will create a folder called I:\Darren\Music and save it there yet my library shows that the default save location for my media is I:\Users\Darren!!! :bang:

I had to actually edit my libraries to remove all the references to I:\Darren\ which then sets the save location back to the original I:\Users\Darren\ folder.

12. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
  13. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Also now we have to watch ads while playing solitaire!?!?!?!?!? Wow.....

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It looks like it's better to use ALAC instead of FLAC for now. At least Groove Music and File Explorer reads MP4 container metadata and album art properly. No bugs there.
    [​IMG]

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    does the store provide FLAC albums ?? couldn't find any so far

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    AFAIK they sell the usual compressed ****. 7digital is probably the best place to buy mainstream music since all new track are mostly available in flac. There are plenty of lossless music shop alternatives for EDM (Juno, Beatport, trackitdown...) and other maybe not so popular music genres.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  17. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    I've checked through but not seen in the thread.
    I let the upgrade process just do its thing and now Win10 is installed and activated, but as the same with most people I'd prefer a clean install.

Do I have to re-run the media tool or can I simply copy the contents of C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows to a bootable usb and do it that way?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You'd need to make the USB pen bootable before copying those files across

And it would have to be the root dir of the setup files you copied over, basically the same as you'd see by mounting an ISO, or opening a Windows DVD

19. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Yeh usb was 8.1 before so should be fine, file structure is as you would usually find.
    [​IMG]

thanks for confirming :)

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, that should work so long as you only deleted the 8.1 files, not formatted