So how is FreeSync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    What is the FreeSync range of the monitor?

2. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    48-75Hz

3. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    So how is freesync especially in crossfire? Does it make it as smooth as having a single card? 4 pages of out of topic nonsense.

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Don't know how it is in CF. With my single card, the game is absolute smooth. Like movie.

5. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    Yup, even Freesync works for Anime, TV Shows, Movies & YouTube HTML5 which I didn't knew about. I only test Freesync about 4 hours & I love it, AMD you better hurry with Nano.

Freesync is hard to explain but Freesync feel like a Console API due to you never see lag gameplay at low framerate, no screen tearing & smooth gameplay with no impact on input lag. I test this on LG 29" UM2967 Ultrawide 21:9 monitor.

So is Freesync worth it, the answer is damn right it worth it. you can get a Samsung 4K UHD Freesync 24" monitor for $349 from Samsung website which is 40hz to 60hz Freesync which is darn cheap.

@MrRixter
    Yes, Freesync work better in Crossfire due to more GPU giving you better framerate but your game must support Crossfire or else you going to be using one GPU for Freesync.

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    My LG 27MU67-B will arrive tommorow. I will share my expierences here right after i've done some testing.

7. Flano

Flano Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 FURY X 4GB HBM
    It is extremely nice, I could never go back to anything less!! I love it!

I play a huge myriad of titles, old and new and everything is working fine! CFX FURY X and XL2730Z !!! I rate it highly!! awesome tech.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Time to give my first impressions. I just walked around in the witcher and holy *piep* it feels much smoother now at 60 FPS. Even 4K at 45 FPS still feels really really smooth. The problem is that there are alot of frame drops at 4K and i don't know why.

I also ran the valley benchmark in 4K and even at 45 FPS the image was smooth and a pleasure to look at. I like it so far :D

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I know why the frops are dropping. With FreeSync enabled both off my cards start to throttle (even in 1440P). The core clock doesn't stay at 1050mhz, but is throttling between 800 - 1050 mhz. The throttling stops if i disable FreeSync in the monitor menu. Without FreeSync both of my cores are stable at 1050 mhz.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Does upping the voltage solve it or slightly lowering the clock solve it?

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    No, it doesn't solve it. With FreeSync on the game stutters every couple of seconds. I think it is because of the throttling. I don't have these stutter with FreeSync off. This doesn't mean that it is smoother with Freesync off. Without FreeSync 45 FPS is totally unplayable :p

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Even at stock clocks it still throttles? That's weird. I don't have any experience with that :D

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Here is a comparison between FreeSync on and off at 1440P and 4K

1440P

No FreeSync
    [​IMG]

FreeSync
    [​IMG]

No FreeSync
    [​IMG]

FreeSync
    [​IMG]

As you can see the core clock starts to throttle with FreeSync enabled. I walked the exact same path during this test.

14. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Even at 950 mhz it throttles :p Stock clock off the Asus Direct CU II is 1000mhz.

The memory clock doesn't throttle by the way. It stays at 1260 mhz.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    force full clocks with AB or RP and see what happens

16. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I don't know what you mean. Where can i find this option?

17. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    With my old monitor the swamp area in the witcher was totaly unplayable for me when enemies starting to attack me. The FPS dropped under 50 and there was alot of stutter. With FreeSync on most of this stutter disappeared. The only stutter i get is the "something is loading" stutter (the really long delays). I usually know when my FPS drops under 50, but no i really didn't notice it :p

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Force your clocks as Mac said and try again.

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X

install either Afterburner or Radeon pro.

Create a profile for the game, and change the appropriate option to force full 3D clocks.

20. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have no idea how to force the clocks with afterburner. I simply can't find the option for it. I did find the option in Radeonpro however and it worked. The core clocks are stable now.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015