Asus Xonar U7 HD 7.1

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RagDoll_Effect, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mihai

Mihai Guest

GPU:
    Asus GeForce 960 / 2GB
    I can't access Dolby Home Theater v4 anymore, I tried installing older driver versions but no luck.I'm running Windows 10.

2. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    my question is, Im gonna buy u7 echelon and I know the hardware is 100% same but not the driver. So is there any setting and feature that u7 driver has but echelon not?

3. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    From what I can tell the difference is that Echelon has Sonic Radar plug-in and camo paint. I think you might also be limited to the Sonic Studio Pro control panel, don't know for sure, I have the non Echelon U7.

From my testings the U7 beta drivers (Sonic Studio Pro) breaks something with the DHTv4. LFE channel is never included when DHTv4 is enabled and the effect sounds off somehow, also there is some weird volume difference between DHTv4 disabled/enabled.

While with the WHQL drivers with the old control panel, the DHTv4 virtual surround includes LFE channel and the surround effect sounds better in my opinion. Also there is no volume difference and with all settings off (DHTv4 on/off) and it is much louder while using the same settings in xonar control panel and windows compared to the beta drivers.

But I don't know if this applies to anyone elses experience with the U7.
    Did my testing with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Played 5.1 and 7.1 speaker positioning audio samples many times over. Post fresh Windows install, swapping drivers many times over, different usb port. The results were the same.

For Windows 10 the Windows 8.0 whql driver 8.0.11.19 installs and functions fine while 8.1 doesn't even install in Win10.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super

Yep, I was searching over the internet and found that echelon drivers really lack lot of things than the original u7 drivers. Such as ASIO, lfe cut off freq and other things. And I didnt even mention the bugs in beta drivers of echelon.

First thing, I will install the original U7 driver to my echelon when it arrives. Im using win8.1 pro x64. There are 3 drivers.

https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_U7/HelpDesk_Download/

Top one is buggy and sounds very poor they said in head-fi. So which one do I have to choose? First WHQL driver I guess (bottom one)?

5. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    Are there any workaround to install WHQL 2014 January U7 drivers to Echelon? In case of it says "your device is not compatible" etc.

My Echelon will arrive soon.

6. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    Maybe this mod from first page in reverse could work. Not sure though.

7. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    Should work in reverse too but I couldnt understand one word in it... I mean explanation is very poor, I didnt even understand which file to download lol.

8. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I installed the 2014 WHQL Regular U7 8.1 x64 drivers on my Echelon device just fine. :) Im using Win8.1 X64.

9. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    It seems that my U7 has died after about 1 year of use. Constant blinking speaker led, not recognized by windows, causes pc not to boot (stuck in post) at all when U7 is connected to a usb port.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Does the Dolby Home Theater work in Windows 10 yet on these ?

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    It is working for me no problems at all.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks, which drivers ?

13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I have only the latest on the asus xonar U7 drivers I think. Installed them when I build this PC on february 2019. I've made no changes since.

XONAR U7 Audio driver version 10.0.11.21, Firmware version 0110 DX 12 CPL 0.1.0.30 what I see in Xonar U7 software.

As for the dolby Theater it's version 7.2.8000.17 but I comes automaticaly installed with the drivers for the card.

Hope this helps.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, thanks :)

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well i got my new rig the other day, and decided to just use the onboard sound on it, after hearing it, as it sounds fine (the board is the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro), so im just going to leave the U7, on my old rig :)

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why? Its probably still better than onboard sound on x570. In still using Xonar Dsx. :p

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Can't be arsed to put it on tbh :D

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Well Dolby home theater doesn’t work for me anymore after the latest windows update.

The lack of driver support from ASUS on these usb sound cards is incredible.

Think i‘m gonna buy something else.

Any ideas? I was eyeing that sennheiser gsx1000.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Seems the Dolby Surround plugin from MS Store is also broken. Seems the fix needs to be on the MS OS side.

serbicu likes this.
  20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    hmm, yeah but that still leaves my problem unsolved lol.